Format Change ?

68RIVGS

Did the usual display format here change, or did I miss something ?

When I arrived at the ROA section today the layout is totally different that what I usually see ?

. . . maybe gonna hafta learn posting technic all over again ? whot happened to all my pics ? this just sucks big time !

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

I got home from a week's spring break away from the forum and thought I was having problems with my computer.  Called Geek Squad and asked them what I had done by turning my computer off over the break.  Now I know why they couldn't find anything.  What happened to everything that I'd marked for reference that's applicable to my ongoing restoration?  

Mr. Earl, can you shoulder any comments?

Ed

14 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I got home from a week's spring break away from the forum and thought I was having problems with my computer.  Called Geek Squad and asked them what I had done by turning my computer off over the break.  Now I know why they couldn't find anything.  What happened to everything that I'd marked for reference that's applicable to my ongoing restoration?  

Mr. Earl, can you shoulder any comments?

Ed

Thought I was having computer problems too Ed, as I installed some updates just today - fingered it might be an update problem, so I restored the computer to an earlier date, but that didn't change the situation, so I'll go through the update scenario again. 

We'll wait 'n see what Mr. Earl has to say about the surprise most of us are finding !!

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

I have an icon on my desktop that when I click on it it takes me directly to the ROA forum and I'm already logged in.  That icon should have been my first clue that "nothing was broken so let's fix it."  It just takes me to some link that says "There appears to be some problem with the data base."  Yeah, the problem lies within.  It took some trial and error just to remember my password.  :(  It appears that if it's going to take that much to just log in, I might have to reconsider the value.  It's free, I guess I have no value to reconsider?  While I was on vacation this past week, was there any notification of the upcoming changes?

Ed

I'm in here on a twice + daily basis Ed, and there was no mention of any pending changes,

As I understand it, the changes are still a 'work in process', so we best wait till they are finalized, or Mr. Earl chimes in !

We're not the only ones that were confronted, or concerned about this surprise !

1 hour ago, 68RIVGS said:

I'm in here on a twice + daily basis Ed, and there was no mention of any pending changes,

As per the link to the other thread, part is due to the Korean spam issue that has been a problem in past few weeks

Computer geeks do not know about "if it ain't broke don't fix". They work 100% the opposite way. And are not aware of the KISS principle

Yeah, it's different. Some people say old guys resist change. Some have thoughts in the back of their mind that they should be doing something more constructive but need an event to make a change. The sun is shining, the grass is starting to grow, and there is work in the garage and cars to drive. What if the Koreans helped refocus a few whom have spending too much time on this stuff.

BTW, the little round pictures are so cute. I bet the Middle School girl's forum loves them. XP-300 and The Hartford Guy have good stuff on Flickr. That's probably enough.

I'm going to go put the starter in the tractor.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Every change I've seen has been worse than the previous one. Is there no wonder why we're so resistant to change? I liked looking at photos on this site and they're gone from older posts. I really dislike the new format. It was easier for me to deal with the korean spam than this new site. Luckily I visit several other forums so I'm taking a vacation from here hoping something gets fixed. If it doesn't I won't renew my membership next year.

13 hours ago, RivNut said:

I have an icon on my desktop that when I click on it it takes me directly to the ROA forum and I'm already logged in.  That icon should have been my first clue that "nothing was broken so let's fix it."  It just takes me to some link that says "There appears to be some problem with the data base."  Yeah, the problem lies within.  It took some trial and error just to remember my password.  :(  It appears that if it's going to take that much to just log in, I might have to reconsider the value.  It's free, I guess I have no value to reconsider?  While I was on vacation this past week, was there any notification of the upcoming changes?

Ed

Hi Ed,  I log into the forum in a manner similar to how you describe and had to create a new desktop shortcut.  I created had to create a new shortcut to a particular sub-forum page.  The new shortcut opens the correct sub-forum page.  Then if I log into the forum and elect the option to "Remember Me" I can then just close the browser and then click the new shortcut again and I am taken to the sub-forum page already logged in.  If you manually log out of the forum or clear your browser cache then you would need to log into the forum again after clicking the new shortcut.  I was able to get new shortcuts working with IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. - Bob

Guest Dale Vancouver

What a complete mess !    Who on earth decided to change the format to something virtually incomprehensible ?

Sorry guys, just getting to a computer so I can check the new software upgrade out. I had posted a notice of the upgrade in the BCA General Forum early this morning from my cell phone.

As Bleach made mention, things have been and continue to be improving since this morning. Hopefully it will continue to improve back to as it was or better. Please go here >  http://forums.aaca.org/forum/134-forum-software-questionsinstructions/ to ask questions and make comments related to the changes. Bob aka vwlfan  is familiar with the new software and is trying to help answer questions there also (thanks Bob!)  There are some things we will have to adjust to but from the way it is starting to appear it isn't going to be all that bad. A software upgrade was the ONLY way to fix the serious hacking problem, patches were not working. 

Peter G is working on it and the only way he can work on it is with it up and running, so there will continue to be adjustments. So let's be patient guys.

Thanks for the update Mr.Earl - guess I missed your notification post.

It was a total surprise to me, and like Ed, I thought a computer update had caused the changes to the usual AACA forum format.

It's never easy to change - so, just gonna hang in till all the dust settles !

Guest Dale Vancouver

Apologies for my previous post. I missed the notification, and was unaware of the spam issue. Something obviously had to be done, and as things improve we should be OK.

No problem guys, I must confess it is very frustrating and maddening to all of a sudden see your photos you spent so much time posting all of sudden disappear. I am hoping they will reappear at some point. Not sure why some are disappearing and some remaining, I will check into that. Again I'd suggest submitting your questions, comments and suggestions to Peter in the link above as he probably doesn't hit all the subforums such as this.

On 3/19/2016 at 9:26 PM, xp-300 said:

Just went through the site. All my settings, followed content, friends, etc, are gone and so am I. I'm done. This sucks.

Dave, have these issues been been resolved. If not please report them in the noted thread.  Have you lost any of your Flickr picture attachments.

2 hours ago, riv2x4 said:

I had to reupload the picts in my for sale ads, they were all removed in the upgrade.

That was a lot of work riv2x4!!! I have used your case as an example in my discussion with Peter in the Moderators Forum. Sorry you had to go through that. I am seeing lots of pictures not reappearing after the upgrade with many pictures lost in the Girls on Buick's thread. I have advised that there may be a major uprising with potential rioting and bloodshed if that is not remedied. LOL

Please advise back here if the originals of your For Sale pics reappear. Thanks

I am having no issues with the new forum.

I appreciate the AACA making this forum available to the ROA for our use.  It is quite a valuable asset that we would have a hard time reproducing.

Edited by Jim_Cannon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Reposted from up stairs

Thank you all for your patience (as usual) in the process of the new software change over. Just to let you know what I know and have been told, the process is an automated, slow and tedious process. Photos take TIME to rebuild and may literally take days. I know some of you are fearful your pictures are gone forever but from what I can surmise that should not be the case. From what I understand Peter G chose to work on the software while it is up and running vs closing it down for several days as previous hence some things aren't as they were or will be.  

Before going to the arduous task of re-posting your pictures, I'd suggest giving the rebuilding process time to complete, possibly a few days.  

• Like 1