COMMON SCAM: If you receive a private message from a new member offering a part, make sure to thoroughly verify it. It’s your responsibility to ensure it’s not a scam. Report any suspicious users immediately. ×

New Beauty Rings or not ???

FLYER15015

Hi Guys,

I want to ask the Pre War Buick community about "Beauty Rings".

Since I am the 2nd owner of my "Baby", I think the beauty rings on her came with the car.

To me, they seem to be "bright nickel" plated rather than chrome.

They sure take a lot of polishing with either, #7, or Semichrome Polish, and the cloth always comes up black.

They do have some pitting, or dark spots here and there also, so I don't think they are stainless, but they could be.

So, my question is.......

Should I continue to polish them, or replace them with shinny new chrome ones like I see from "Desert Rose Diversified Sales" in Phalan, Ca., which is really only a P.O. Box. I checked with their Chamber of Commerce, so no store to take mine to and compare.

OR, do you folks think the new, bright shiny chrome rings would stand out too much and make the old girl look like a "Hot Rod" (God forbid) ?

Opinions please, and see attached.

Mike in Colorado

post-70733-143142889373_thumb.jpg
post-70733-143142382668_thumb.jpg

post-112969-0-61983100-1451861809_thumb.

post-112969-0-09818100-1451861863_thumb.

post-112969-0-37113500-1451861905_thumb.

My original beauty rings are  stainless steel. They all were in good shape. While I did polish them on a buffing wheel. I also found that a trip through the dishwasher (when my wife wasnt home) had them come out brilliant.

The nice thing about the stainless is that it wont deteriorate.

I bet they're stainless. You're hand-buffing them, which is why it comes out black, but you need a high-speed wheel to get that brilliant chrome-like shine out of stainless. It probably isn't a high-grade stainless metal (this is a mass-produced car, after all) so the pits are probably imperfections and/or contaminants that have embedded themselves in the surface over the years. The chrome ones will be less work for a while, but the stainless can always be brought back to where they are now. If you want a brilliant shine, pull them off and have them professionally polished or get a buffing wheel and motor and clean them up yourself, it's not hard and the results are immensely satisfying.

I realize that I'm clouding the waters here, but my experience says they're stainless and that you can leave them as-is or give them a high polish to look like chrome. Only you can decide if the chrome ones are worth the investment.

• Like 2

There are different grades of STAINLESS, some won't attract a magnet, some will attach to a magnet, just like cold rolled steel.

The metal makeup is key, so pitting will occur in certain stainless.

For the most part, I have found the stainless used in old cars was/is nice quality. Wheel trim rings often take a beating from road grit, etc. Remember lots of roads in the past were GRAVEL, or OILED GRAVEL.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

The stainless will maintain their lustre longer than any chrome-plated pieces, as the real key to corrosion resistance is not the chromium plating but the underlying plating of nickel. The chromium plating just gives the final, bright appearance. And, as already stated, you can bring them back stainless pieces at some time in the future with a cleaning or repolish.

If you decide to continue polishing the stainless ones yourself, then Simichrome is the compound you want to use. And unless you have a lot of experience with buffing wheels, it would be better to do the polishing by hand.

If you decide to have them polished professionally, you might ask the shop or person doing it to passivate the stainless rings when done.

Well, well.

Two for chrome replacements and five for polishing the OEM's, so far.

Semichrome Polish is the media of choice for sure !

Just did a check, and they are "mildly" magnetic which means that they are most likely 410 stainless. (carbon and chrome only, and no moly).

Just for grins, has anyone ever used "jewelers rouge" to polish their stainless trim ?

Mike in Colorado

Well, well.

Two for chrome replacements and five for polishing the OEM's, so far.

Semichrome Polish is the media of choice for sure !

Just did a check, and they are "mildly" magnetic which means that they are most likely 410 stainless. (carbon and chrome only, and no moly).

Just for grins, has anyone ever used "jewelers rouge" to polish their stainless trim ?

Mike in Colorado

YES

Ben

Yes, I agree with the guys that they are stainless steel. Stick with those and do like Matt  says. Buffing on a machine will make them shine up better but also heed

what Dale in Indy says - you will get tired sooner then you think with the buffing wheel, so do not try to do all four at once. I have used a buffing wheel for stainless, brass, aluminum all using different compounds - some compounds cut faster then others due to the grit in them. I have also hooked the piece I was buffing on the pad because I got tired and flung it off into space! be careful, if it hooks let it go - do not try and hold it back to recover - you can take a finger off that way.

I checked the trim strips and beauty rings on my '38-46s.

The trim strips are very magnetic, almost like steel (400 series Stainless?), while the beauty rings are completely nonmagnetic (300 series?). Very obviously different grades of stainless.

Lots of the stuff we do while working on cars can be dangerous. Using a buffing wheel is like everything else. Use caution and work safely.

O.K. Dave,

Where did you get them and lets see pictures.

I ask because "Desert Rose" has some pretty generic pictures and if you choose wrong, there is the return freight cost plus a 15%

"restocking fee".

Mike in Colorado

The photos will have to wait. The Buick has been put up for the winter.

I bought them on eBay a few years back. I don't remember the cost but I was happy with the product.

I believe Bob's and Car's sell them.

XP, I did look at "Bob's" and they are God awful expensive. Having been there a year or so ago I know why. nuff said.

Dave, I did some more research and found what I think will work, and it just so happens to be on my route to the land of fruits and

nuts. Hubcapzone in Victorville. Very close to Desert rose in Phelan, but they don't have a "store" to compare mine to theirs.

Hubcapzone is a store and it looks like the price is about $25.00 each.

Note, both 300 and 400 series stainless are magnetic to various degrees, and 400 series cannot be made nonmagnetic. 300 series can by the application of the schefflier (sp?) diagram, that is adding more nickel to 300 series, such as 316ss, but that alloy can still be slightly magnetic. Put a magnet on your fork or spoon sometime and see.

The rings I am looking at are advertised as "chrome plated stainless steel" and the chrome is where it gets its magnetic properties.

Mike in Colorado

Hmm, for $25 each and the fact that you can see before you buy would make me give them a try. Not much to lose and you can always go back, in fact you can drive it with the new ones on and take your time buffing up the old ones. Win-win to me.

Cheers, Dave

I'm with Dave on this one. Not much to loose indeed and it gives you the opportunity to buff up the other ones.