Finally

Guest bargerchad870

Guest bargerchad870

Howdy Folks,

I'm finally able to buy a classic truck like I've been dreaming of since I was 13.  I'm 35 now and my dream car has always been a 69 GTO Judge, but I'm settling on getting a truck since my family needs the payload (woodwork/hay/firewood) and pulling (boat/2 horse trailer).   The questions I have for ya'll experts are listed below.  My price range is 10k to 25k, and from everything I've searched I should be able to find a decent 65-75 pickup.  I am not 'make' specific, though I do like the 72 ford and gmc bodies.  I worked at a parts house/ small shop for 7 years in high school and college, so I have a good grasp for maintenance.  I am looking to buy a truck for life...this will be my 'baby', and if all goes well I'll die in it when I'm 72-89, then give it to my daughter (she likes shoes and mickey mouse now, but she will learn to appreciate classic cars/trucks).  Thanks in advance for all of the valuable info guys and gals!

1.  Where do I start looking?  I'm in Bryan Texas.  Is there a known online source for classic trucks that is well respected?  I've seen some sites that are trying to sell any ol junk for more than 40K just because they are 'classic'. Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin are within reach.

2. I have a 2005 Jeep Cherokee (bad conditon) and 2005 Honda Civic (good condition) to trade in.  Hopefully I can get at least 2k for the jeep and 3k for the Honda.  Where would you guys start for selling them?  Dealership, Carmax, Online Personally?

3. Are there any specific makes/models I should avoid?  You know, the ones that have had chronic oil pump, tranny, carb, front seal...etc.. issues.

4. Do you guys know if I can shop out of state and get the truck delivered at a decent (<1000) price, or can I search anywhere and be okay knowing shipment isn't going to be outrageous?

5.  Do ya'll know any 'obvious' ripoffs of scams that I should look out for.

6.  Finally,  Do any of ya'll know of a 65-75 any make pickups for sale at a good price?

Thanks in advance again,

Chad

With that kind of year range and a very reasonable price range coupled with living out of the rust belt you should have no problem finding a truck like you want.  I would pretty much skip the dealers for the time being and try to find a low mileage original truck that has never been restored with original paint but is still used as someone's baby so it's mechanically sorted and ready to drive.  You may even find one that the original owner still has.  I would look in Hemmings Motor News to start with there are always alot of trucks in their by private owners.  I bet you can find something in the 10-15,000  price range that will fit the bill.  I say stick to the originals as there are alot of old made up pieced together cob jobs out their.  You can't beat an all original vehicle that has never been messed with.

You will have to skip the idea of trading in your current rides as Cash in hand will get you a better deal.  Sell the cars outright and have the cash in hand when you go to buy.  I would even check craigslist in your area.  If you find something that sounds good show it to us and we'll help look it over and point out any issues we see.  

Good luck and most important don't be too anxious.  Take a good look at what's out their first before making a move.

• Like 1

Hello Chad and welcome to the AACA forums. There is a member here that I would trust when it comes to buying a classic. Mr. Matt Harwood is his name and he owns Harwood Motors. Here is his website - http://www.harwoodmotors.com/index.php. If he doesn't have what you are looking for, he may be able to help in different ways. Good Luck and welcome.

I just looked and he has this beauty - http://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=543.  GL

Edited by Woodfiddler (see edit history)

Guest Bob Call

Since the GMC Bob Z posted above is close to you I'd be on the phone to the owner and make an appointment to go look  it over and drive it. With you price range you should be able to find a real good truck within a couple of hundred miles.

Don't over look garage and estate sales. You'll be surprised at what you may find.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

The following ideas come to mind:

If you are looking for a classic pickup truck Texas is a good place to look, especially the dry rust free western part

You will probably find a better truck at a better price in the city. In the country they get beat up and worn out on the ranch or farm. City "cowboys" who go line dancing once a week, go fishing once a year,    and never haul anything, are the kind of first owner you want.

Be prepared to pay cash, no trade ins, and to make up your mind fast when you find a real nice truck at a good price. They don't wait around forever.

You will probably do better buying privately than thru a dealer. But, you may have to look at a lot of second rate and 3d rate vehicles before you find a real nice one at the right price.

If you can't wait and don't have time to shop, buy from a reputable dealer.

You will probably get a better deal if you are not too dogmatic about make, model and year. We are talking about used vehicles here and you have to be ready to take what you can get. The real gone Ford fan may walk past a dozen beautiful Chevs and Dodges, and end up with a mediocre Ford. What I am saying is, go by condition, miles, price, and how the vehicle suits your needs if you want the best buy. Getting hung up on one model, make, year, color etc limits your options.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest bargerchad870

Thanks everyone for all the advice.  I'm gonna go see the truck Bob showed me this weekend.  I'll keep ya'll updated, and now that I have a good game plan I'm really excited about this.  My wife already found a buyer for the Jeep, so it might be sooner than expected.

Edited by bargerchad870 (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

Since the GMC Bob Z posted above is close to you I'd be on the phone to the owner and make an appointment to go look  it over and drive it. With you price range you should be able to find a real good truck within a couple of hundred miles.

Don't over look garage and estate sales. You'll be surprised at what you may find.

I agree about the estate sale. I recently attended an estate sale and ended up buying a truck, a Model A and a sports car all in like new condition.best buy I ever made. Wayne

Guest bargerchad870

Hey fellas,

I'm in a tight spot!  So, the jeep and civic haven't been sold yet, but the jeep is in the process of being sold.  I followed ya'lls advice and called my mechanic.  When I told him the situation, he LIT UP!  He knows an older gentleman who has truck in town that is exactly what I am looking for, and he knows that the gentleman has been trying to sell it 'street side' for only the past two weeks because he never wanted to mess with putting it online or in a paper, so it should still be there to buy.   Perfect, Right!  It's a 71 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 long bed two tone green and white.  He had a factory A/C installed because it didn't come with one. It was originally from up north in Illinois.  He wants $18k FIRM.

It has been lifted a bit and now it has 17" rims, which I am usually not a fan, but actually looks balanced for that year model.  What kind of threw me off though, was that he said he had a 400 block put in it sooo, I have wonder what was originally in it.  Most of you guys told me to stay away from customs, and try to find originals.  The interior is pristine.  The body has only one ding 'if you look at it in the correct sunlight'.  

I'm 65% leaning to pick this thing up. If I don't produce the money by Sunday, it's going to auction in Dallas.

I went to Wells Fargo right after work today because I haven't sold the jeep or civic yet, and they said I could get a loan for 18k.

All this is a little too fast for me, but I don't want to pass something up that falls into my lap like this.  What do ya'll think?

Much Gratitude for all the Help Again,

Chad

Guest Bob Call

Chad:

The 71 Chevy probably originally had a 350 engine. Since the external dimensions of the 400 are identical to the 350, if it needed an overhaul or new engine the 400 didn't cost any more and gave a bit more power.  Look at the badges on the side of the front fenders. The original engine size badge should be there, either 350, 400, or 454. Chevy in 71 offered 396, 402, 427 and 454 big blocks. Usually if the buyer upgraded to a big block in a pickup they got the 454. The 396, 402 and 427 were usually found in the larger trucks.

Have your mechanic to run compression test on the engine to determine its general condition. If the man is asking $18K, have cash in hand and offer him $16K. That is probably more than he would clear in the auction. I don't see dealers paying more than $10K at auction for a 71 model.

Good luck.

Guest bargerchad870

Ok,  Thanks Mr. Call!  I'll do just that.  I thought myself to offer 16.5 and negotiate, but he said "NOT A PENNY LESS than $18k, oil is bad now and I live off oil that's why im givin this thing to you."

I'll send you guys pictures tomorrow.  Kinda gettin nervous about this whole thing.  Don't like to be rushed so much, but this deal seems to be falling in our lap.  So, does anyone else agree that he won't get any more than $16k?  He swears 'up and down' that he will get 20-35k in Dallas at the auction, and so does my mechanic (12 years).  I told him I'd give him 15k to which he promptly replied "Kiss my ass".  Gotta love our older generation!

Thanks again!

Chad

The question is do you LOVE the truck. Buying an old car  is a lot like buying a house - when you see the "right" one there is absolutely no doubt in your mind that this is THE one.

Take a bit of time looking at the local (or nearest big city) Craigslist and see what else is available for $18 K. When you are in the Cars for sale section there are boxes to check in the left hand column. Based on your original statements I would suggest you check :"owner", "with picture" "$7500 to $22500"" and "1975 to 1985" boxes. That will give you an idea of what is out there.

If you start to salivate over several of the offerings you might consider waiting a bit, as painful as that is. I have been buying old cars since 1961 and have never regretted waiting - if it is sold out from under you while you decide it wasn't meant to be. On the other hand I have regretted almost every purchase that i have made where I thought that it is was "almost" what I wanted. You will know when the "right" one shoes up - there will be no doubts, no "if it only" questions - it will feel right from start to finish. Well worth a bit of a wait.

Guest bargerchad870

Ok. I passed up on it.  I put a picture of it up just now.  He wanted 18k.  This thing was PRISTINE!  He's taking it to an auction in Dallas on Monday if any of ya'll are interested.  My wife sold the Jeep today for 3k.  Still want to sell my car before I get a truck, but MAN this guy was hard to pass up!  I had to get some money quick, and Wells Fargo was going to lend me 15k today, but he was firm on 18, and we hadn't sold our jeep yet, so I didn't have the 18 to give him before he sent it to auction.  Also, I was a little scared off since he put that 400 big block with holley 4 in it. I could literally watch the gas gauge plummet as we were on the test drive.  I'd rather settle for something a lil less 'mean' since I plan on driving it every day.  Super Sweet Truck Though!   He had this thing WIDE OPEN.  Oh well,  hopefully the Lord has something better waiting for me.

Guest bargerchad870

That's a good idea Rusty.  My father in law lives up there.  Maybe I'll see if he can stop by and check it out.  We're good friends, and he's retired, so it might be fun for him.  Seller was swearing up and down that he was planning on getting 27k-32k for it at auction, and that I was basically getting a 'steal' at 18k.  We'll see though.  Also, if my father in law goes we will have a better idea for what the market is like right now in Texas.  He's a Corvette guy, and has a 2011.

Guest bargerchad870

Real Talk Jim!  That's good advice.  All along while I was driving the 15 miles to look at it, I had a 'sinking' feeling in my belly.  Even though I knew this truck was a kick-ass monster, I still had reservations because I was buying in haste.  That made me noxious.  I'm going with Vermontboy's advice too, "when you see the "right" one there is absolutely no doubt in your mind that this is THE one.".  That's how I found my wife.  That will be how I find my truck.

Good evening fellas, and have a lucky first football weekend!

Guest Bob Call

Chad:

Good to hear you passed on the 71 Chevy. The owner is living in a fantasy world if he thinks it will bring $27K + at auction.

Another point, the 400 engine is a small block not a big block. Small blocks run from 265 cubic inches piston displacement (55 thru 57), 283 (57 thru 68?), 327, 305, 350 and 400. Big blocks are 396, 402, 427 and 454.  There is also the W series which is in between in physical size and was made from 58 thru 64 in sizes 348, 409 and the "mystery" 427. Most, if not all, big blocks have two versions, passenger car and truck. The truck version has a taller deck height than the passenger car.  The W series may also have had two versions.

The 27K and above values are pretty much dominated by the short bed 1/2 ton versions. There is a more limited market for 3/4 ton 4WD versions, thus I just don't think that kind of value is there. Keep in mind that many of those trucks are "aftermarketed" ( I know, I made that up myself) to death, and things like grill shells, and even steering wheels, aren't even close to originals. I feel bad for folks that spend 20 grand on a vehicle, only to discover 80% of it was made in China. 

• Like 1

Maybe

I'm not really understanding the parameters here.  If you are concerned about gas mileage don't buy a two ton vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick.

What you are looking for exists in large numbers - relatively late model (by this board's standards) vehicle , very large numbers produced.  Have some patience and be realistic about the market and what you can afford.  I see no reason to go way over market for what you want, and the caution to discount modified vehicles is sound advice. 

Guest bargerchad870

Well, my father in law is out of town all this week relaxing in Red River New Mexico, so we won't be able to bid on the truck.  I'm good with passing on it and looking for a decent 1/2 ton.  Just out of curiosity I texted the seller and he said he'll let me know what it sells for.  They ran out of 'spots' for the auction because they finished a 69 goat they were fixing up and took it instead, but they're going to put the truck in the next one.  I'll keep ya'll posted.  

Thats too much for a 3/4 ton 71 Chev. He's dreaming if he thinks it will bring that much at an auction. If you dont often get the chance to  drive an old 3/4 ton I suggest you try one out for a test drive 1st. They are not at all like a modern 3/4. Very vague steering and handling. Harsher ride than I'm betting your wife will enjoy in the long haul. Try out all Big 3 brands in a 1/2 ton version 1st.

Remember, if you are planning on keeping this for life take your time to find the right one!