ebay Search Question

DavidAU

Need some help here if I can get it. 

When you are searching ebay for parts, lets say a 1948 Dodge,  I enter 1948 Dodge parts and I also click on used parts to try to eliminate the new rubbish but most of the stuff comes up with (fits 1948 Dodge) which of course it doesn't.

Is there some way to stop these items from coming up?

I don't like to remove the fits because it does eliminate some accessory type stuff that actually does fit your car or parts sellers don't know what they fit but may fit your car (original old type parts)  

A typical search I use is for my 1956 Oldsmobile  I would use for Dodge would be this without the parenthesis

( 1948 Dodge -Suzuki -Honda -Kawasaki -Harley -Volvo -Patch -Decal)

Copy and paste it and you will be surprised how much stuff gets pulled out.  IF anything else keeps popping up just add the word that doesn't pertain to your search that is common in the listing and it will be removed as well.  You need to add it just like each word is spaced above.  

Good luck.

I use the Ebay search way less than I used to and look at it for shorter periods of time. I don't feel at a loss for it. Thanks, Ebay, for the continued bumbling management.

I just checked parts for a 1948 Packard-

Chrome Amber Custom Marker Lights Pair Custom Car Truck Hot Rat Street Rod New (Fits: 1948 Packard) 

You won't find that in a brick and mortar store.

Ebay, yawn.

Bernie

You can eliminate stuff coming from overseas by picking a zip code in the middle of the country and restrict your search to 2000 miles from that location. I also have built an extensive excluded list of sellers. The -"fill in a make" trick works well and you don't have to put many in to get rid of all the sellers that think what they have fits everything because they list hundreds of makes. just keep adding restrictions and you will get a good search eventually, I have been building some of mine for years. 

I tried modifying search queries with the -fits, putting my EXACT search words in quotes and whatnot but found I was missing a lot of things.

Oddly my quoted searches for "Ford Model T" and "1965 Mustang" seem to hit all the bases but when I changed to a quoted query for "1959 Chevrolet" everything went to crap.......  :o

I had gotten so sick and tired of crap that FITS 1959 CHEVROLET I was ready to fling the keyboard.......  :angry:

I don't know if ebay tightened up on that "fits" stuff or what but my '59 Chevy search results have been pretty clean for some time now.

When running a search, if you don't want certain items in the return, put a dash (-) in front of what you want suppressed. For example, when I look for Kaiser parts, my search looks like this:
kaiser -helmet -cover -caps -mats
The above search will return everything but things like those german WWI helmets, a car cover, wheel cover, hubcaps, and floor mats. Note that a space has to be placed between each item but not between the dash and the item you want to suppress. Give it a try, it works!

From a post...

You should see the list of minuses I have looking for "Paige" stuff. I have a 1927 Paige 6-45, but like to see other things connected with the car company. Some of the stuff that shows up is disgusting. What with books, magazine ads, and dealer collectibles, narrowing down simply by category is not easy either. Stupid eBad's search parameters keep reinstating categories like clothing that I do try to eliminate. I have rewritten my parameters a dozen times. Then they change something, and I try to rewrite them again. I have complained to eBad about it, but never gotten a genuine response (I hate automated responses, they never have anything whatsoever to do with my question!)

Sorry for my rant. But do you have any idea how many TENS OF THOUSANDS of clothing items sometimes show up?!??. Usually, I do my usual restrictive search in all categories, then go through category by category that sometimes has something of actual interest (like old books, collectibles, and even entertainment memorabilia occasionally have Paige automobile stuff NOT found in eBad Motors)

Oh well.

The harder I have to work to spend my money, the less I spend; pretty simple.

While Ebay extorts the sellers in the name of their glorious "buyer experience", Ebay dumps a load of trash on the buyer. The dollar I do not spend is one they are ignorant of. I experience the bliss of keeping my dollar and Ebay floats in their own sea of bliss.

Bernie

I don't see what the problem is. When you go into ebay, enter "ebay motors", go to search "parts and accessories" on the right top of screen and enter a year. On the next screen on the left,click on "parts and accessories". The following screen will show a line that shows "vintage auto parts". When you click on that you can search by year or year and make. It gives a clean search. 

Hope this helps