Attaching pictures.

Guest drnittler

Since we have a new forum I attempted to post a photo so we will see how it goes with this posting.

Down next to the "POST" button select the "More Reply Options" instead, then select the Attach Files and finally press the "Attach This File".

Finally press the "Add Reply" button at the bottom after completing your posting

post-106358-0-64253300-1431812348_thumb.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

That seemed to work.

By the way, the above image is of the west end of an eastbound 300+ pound Florida Black Bear, exiting my front driveway.  This was captured on my game trail camera at around 5:30 A.M. in August of 2013.  I have since gotten plenty of photos of bears messing around my front driveway.

Cheers,

Grog

Because I was having a problem posting a picture, I went to "More Reply Options", added my picture and then previewed my post, which deleted the picture.

I thought the Technical Forum was "Automotive technical stuff".  

Now with Matt's help I'm here.  But why does the preview delete the picture?  I always want to make sure I've attached the right picture and not the one of the overweight pole dancer who collapses the ceiling on herself.  (Or some other inappropriate photo)

Thanks Matt.

Paul

post-77664-0-40050500-1431910810_thumb.j

Paul,

Perhaps a little bit confusing but this Technical Forum is under the Forum Support heading, it is a separate forum from the Technical Forum under AACA General Forums.

I have not tried the preview, so I will give that a try and see what happens.

This is a photo where I loaned my car to a friend from church for his daughter's wedding.

After you choose the file, you have to actually hit the "attach this file" button. If you preview the post without hitting that button, it will drop the selected but not yet attached photo file.

post-90592-0-24915900-1431912428_thumb.j

OK, so it takes the 2k image and downsamples. Hmm.

Another tack is to try to drop (copy) the image in directly. 

Well, it does accept the image initially at the nice larger size, but I get an error saying "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." So that's a no go for now.

The old SW would accept the image at the max size but display at a smaller size unless you clicked on it.  It was kind of a 2 level thing, with thumbnail, initial display size, then lastly original size. This was nice when looking into the pictures for detail on some issue - assuming the originator uploaded the image at or near the old 2k px max. 

It appears, though I may be wrong, that the new SW downsamples since the image file size is smaller than original.  That is OK for general viewing, but is there a workaround we can use when we really want to put in an image with detail?  I thought maybe we could use the direct image drop in, which appeared to preserve image size, but currently the SW rejects a jpg file type.  Is there a file type it will accept?  Maybe PNG or TIF?

Cheers, Dave

Dave, All three sizes of the images you posted look great on my desktop PC with the Firefox browser. All of them are clear enough that I can read the text in them. With the old software you could right click on the popup window and view the image in it's original size. It's not an option with this new software. I miss being able to do that.

OK, so it takes the 2k image and downsamples. Hmm.

Another tack is to try to drop (copy) the image in directly. 

Well, it does accept the image initially at the nice larger size, but I get an error saying "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." So that's a no go for now.

The old SW would accept the image at the max size but display at a smaller size unless you clicked on it.  It was kind of a 2 level thing, with thumbnail, initial display size, then lastly original size. This was nice when looking into the pictures for detail on some issue - assuming the originator uploaded the image at or near the old 2k px max. 

It appears, though I may be wrong, that the new SW downsamples since the image file size is smaller than original.  That is OK for general viewing, but is there a workaround we can use when we really want to put in an image with detail?  I thought maybe we could use the direct image drop in, which appeared to preserve image size, but currently the SW rejects a jpg file type.  Is there a file type it will accept?  Maybe PNG or TIF?

Cheers, Dave

what file format are you trying to upload?

Dave, All three sizes of the images you posted look great on my desktop PC with the Firefox browser. All of them are clear enough that I can read the text in them. With the old software you could right click on the popup window and view the image in it's original size. It's not an option with this new software. I miss being able to do that.

it resized the large images to make them manageable. You really need images larger than 1000 pixels square?

it resized the large images to make them manageable. You really need images larger than 1000 pixels square?

No, 1000px works good for me. I thought Dave was saying he did and I was trying to point out the reason he might have been about to view larger images before the update..

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Peter:

I understand the image handling is a compromise.  Probably 95% of the time the 1000 px is fine. The times when it would be nice to have another option would be if someone was uploading a picture of something with fine detail that was required to see in order to figure out something, for example a clock movement to see how the gears interact and how it assembles.  In that case  having 2000 px would be really helpful. Is there a way to preserve the original large size image and just downsample for display?

Or may be some other option? I am not averse to having to jump thru hoops SW wise. For example, I tried while replying to just copy (ctrl-c and drag) the 2000 px image into the text area. It displayed quite large as I intended but when I hit the Post button I got the file extension not supported message. If that were to be enabled for jpg files that would be a lovely workaround.

Another one might be to rename the file extension to txt and attach, and tell the reader to drag to their desktop and change it back.  Just trying to figure some options.

Cheers, Dave

Dave,

its not that easy.  Its one size. Period.  

The forum will never support "dragging" an image into the text are.

Nor will it allow copy/paste of an image.

The bottom line is... the forum works the way it works. I'm not "recoding" the forum software.  I can change settings, but Im not going to change the fundamental way the software works.

Out of curiosity I want to see how photos hosted on other websites are handled by the new forum software if they are posted as a link.  This is a link to a 2400px photo on my website.

Below is the same 2400px photo that I attached by using the image button in the editor tool bar. Click on it to see a larger image.

Peter, feel free to delete this post if you see fit.

RonsReatta_huge.jpg

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

I have no way of controlling how an image outside of the forum is displayed. it is 3200*2400 pixels.

I frown on using external images, but I'm not gonna ban it.

Below is an example of why its not a great idea to use externally hosted images. Also, if the url ever changes to the external image it will just be broken.

Peter

aacaforumsampleimagex.jpg