Need ur opinions going to buy one car to work on.. Look over contenders put in order which you'd buy

StylishOne

Okay guys have time/space for one car to play with this Spring.. Found these cars near me and trying to figure which one more car buffs would be more likely to buy when finished here's the list..

79 Fleetwood, 68 Imperial Mobil Director, 58 Edsel Citation 4dr htp, 54 Lincoln Capri Cpe, 65 Imperial convert..if prices n condition are big factors let me know I'll describe them better..

So which has more appeal n your second choice? They all need redoing and are projects to various degrees!

Okay the :

79 Fleetwood is a nice color scheme w firemist paint, solid straight, has curb appeal, just a driver 124,000 miles. Running $2,200

58 Edsel is very straight n original shaded glass, power seat, straight very original had rot under headlites, and some rear quarter issues, not running but engine turns asking $1,500

68 Imperial, original in and out , missing the needed light for the Mobile Director , mostly solid and straight, running, air doesn't work , a bit of rot starting in one quarter, paint so so ,interior together no tears. Some extra parts. Asking $4,500

54 Lincoln Capri mostly very solid car, one rot spot bottom drivers door, and battery box bottom,has been taken apart to a degree, engine turns, hasn't been on road in years, interior showing age but original, paint on hood and roof worn off in spots, straight Calif car. Needs redoing..asking $3,200

65 Imperial Convert,sort of runs ,was garaged in a garage but kinda hard to get a handle on body or rot just yet. Windshield broken, needs it all I think complete except unsure of rare boots, top needs replacing, trying to get more pics knowledge of body. asking $3,200

Edited by StylishOne (see edit history)

I second BillP Nothing in that batch sounds like they would make a good project to me. I was originally thinking the Lincoln but after seeing that description there are alot better projects out their for not much more money. Atleast you are keeping an open mind. I prefer as original as possible cars that can be made roadworthy or are already, especially for your first project especially if you are looking at selling it at some point.

Just an observation - it depends a lot on what you are expecting for an end result and how much of the work you can do yourself. Discounting the '79 Fleetwood there is not one of those vehicles that you can't find with minimal rust, decent chrome and paint and a decent interior for far less than the cost of a body on semi resto (new chrome, paint and interior as needed). If you are talking about a show restoration you will be at 2 to 3 times the cost of a really nice looking driver.

Just my two cents based on a lot of experience.

I was looking for a long term driver that has an active audience when I go to sell, and something worth fixing. Cars that are reliable fun to drive and comfortable too.

Well I don't see many cars that are reasonable and solid around here, especially reasonable. If there's another part of the U.S. where these good starter cars are, it costs tons to bring them East.. But I'll look.

I was looking for a long term driver that has an active audience when I go to sell, and something worth fixing. Cars that are reliable fun to drive and comfortable too.

Well I don't see many cars that are reasonable and solid around here, especially reasonable. If there's another part of the U.S. where these good starter cars are, it costs tons to bring them East.. But I'll look.

Ah, I see, you're looking to flip a car. If you're looking for a car to fix up and flip for a profit, I might humbly recommend getting in your daily driver, getting it up to about 75 MPH, roll down the driver's side window, and throw $100 bills out to get a feel for what it is like to restore a car. If it's cold and rainy while you're doing it, so much the better--it'll add realism.

Not one of the cars you've listed will have a full retail, finished-car price high enough to justify the work you'll need to do to get them into markeable shape. The TV shows where it looks like you can throw $5000 at a car and triple your money are complete BS. Unless you're just going to paint over issues, not fix everything properly, and hope that the buyer doesn't notice until you can vanish, it's quite difficult to make money flipping low-end project cars. Not impossible, but difficult.

Do it for love, do it because you love the challenge, do it because you want to build your skills, but doing it with an eye on profit will burn you down pretty fast.

A better choice would be to find a car that's almost done, an aborted project, or a car that just needs one or two things (like a paint job) and try to make that work first. You can get decent results at a cheap paint shop by doing the prep and disassembly yourself, thereby adding value that might translate into profit.

This is not an easy game. The most critical part of it is finding a car that someone else will actually want and investing your time and money in that rather than a ho-hum car that's merely got a low cost of entry. Fixing it up is probably the easy part--it's selling that's a PITA. Marketability is a big factor.

Good luck!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

I totally agree ! Do it for the love of doing it and driving pleasure because you will not. Make a profit. Only the very lucky even break even ! Wayne

Guys, Not sure where I mentioned flip and profit? We all eventually sell, to me that's not a flip. I was asking about popularity with car potential buyers.. Just a driver that's decent to look at and reliable. I owned tons of cars, redid some. But it's been 8 yrs, costs, and interests change. Hence the question and searching for a sense of what's going on in the market today.. When I see nice 63 Electra 4 window w air n buckets for $16,000 + ,prices no one would have paid for a nice 4 dr. Back in the day. Maybe the question should be , which would bring the better dollar when sold ..based on interests and costs to repair..?

The market niche for collector cars has changed substantially in 8 years - the old classics are cheaper, the 50's and 60's drivers are more expensive, and original muscle cars with a pedigree are in the stratosphere (just my opinion). Parts prices for OEM are higher, repro junk is about the same. The cost of labor for anything you can't do yourself is in general substantially more expensive unless you can find a small sole prop shop where it's a labor of love - not many around anymore and if you find one there is usually a waiting list of months to years.

I would agree that the '63 Electra seems steep - but if it's a nice low mileage original with no rust ever and a clean undercarriage and mint interior that is being driven once in awhile (not stored for the past few years) and has been detailed you will not be able to duplicate it for $16,000 if you start with any of the cars you described above.

OK, ordinary orphan brands do not get great money when trying to sell so convertibles are the best bet with those and 4dr sedans are out. Chrysler, Dodge, DeSoto, Plymouth, and Imperial, and even the Lincoln do not have the big following of Chevrolet, Ford, and Cadillac so the number of potential buyers keeps the price from skyrocketing on most of them. I find the body style preference in order of popularity and resale potential to be:

4dr convertible, 2dr convertible, 2dr hardtop, 2dr hardtop wagon, 2dr wagon, 4dr hardtop wagon, 2dr sedan, 4dr hardtop, 4dr wagon, 4dr sedan.

Of course there are the oddball differences in that order and I don't have a clue where the limo, ambulance, hearse, airport more door cars fit in.

The biggest factor on all cars is the condition, parts availability, and how much work you can do yourself at a professional looking level. If a car is taken apart when you get it, how will you know what fasteners were used in a particular location? That is where having a complete parts car is invaluable, more projects get abandoned at this stage because the disassembler forgot what goes where or lost the actual parts somewhere in the garage.

I always prefer to get a drivable car that hasn't been redone in over 5 years (so covered rust and thick bondo areas can show back up to a visual inspection) but has seen at least monthly drives down the road. A recent fender bender on one of those can put the price down where it is affordable to redo minor damage and drive the car, major damage not so much.

StylishOne,

You've been offered a lot of really good advice. Only you can decide what you personally would like today, and we cannot "crystal-ball" what that choice will represent eight years down the road. I've always made the decision to buy what I really like. In the early days it was the affordable 4-door version of a top-of-the-line popular model (1958 Bel-air 2-tone in excellent condition). We enjoyed it for many years, and it only gained in value while we had miles of smiles. As our affordability increased, over the years we eased into convertible Buicks and Cadillacs - same story here.

What you really like today, somebody else will really like down the road.

When you think you are on the right path - take a moment and re-read Matt Harwood's advice. He knows whereof he speaks!

I know a retired bodyman who buys old cars to fix up and flip. Some I remember are a 1968 4 door Tbird, 1954 Pontiac hardtop, 1965 VW, 1948 Plymouth coupe. All of them looked perfect to me when he bought them. None needed major repairs.

He would go over them and replace non authentic parts, I remember supplying a correct air filter and a few other parts for the VW. Do small repairs if necessary, then detail them to perfection. He would usually drive a car to the local shows and get togethers and always sold it at a profit before the summer was over. Usually for about twice what he paid.

He NEVER bought a car that needed major work. He ALWAYS bought real nice, low mileage, or restored cars. Usually drivable but sometimes had been sitting for a few years and needed minor work. His health would not permit full time work, but he liked to tinker around.

He would watch the ads in the local papers and old car papers and get leads from friends. He would only buy good cars, and only if he could get them for an attractive price.

I don't remember him ever trading for a car although I am sure he would if he got a good offer.

He would also buy a used motorhome from time to time, fix it up, use it for Hershey and a winter vacation in Florida then sell it when prices went up in the summer.

I too have made money fixing up cars and selling them, and I can tell you the above plan is the best way to do it.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I know a retired bodyman who buys old cars to fix up and flip. Some I remember are a 1968 4 door Tbird, 1954 Pontiac hardtop, 1965 VW, 1948 Plymouth coupe. All of them looked perfect to me when he bought them. None needed major repairs.

He would go over them and replace non authentic parts, I remember supplying a correct air filter and a few other parts for the VW. Do small repairs if necessary, then detail them to perfection. He would usually drive a car to the local shows and get togethers and always sold it at a profit before the summer was over. Usually for about twice what he paid.

He NEVER bought a car that needed major work. He ALWAYS bought real nice, low mileage, or restored cars. Usually drivable but sometimes had been sitting for a few years and needed minor work. His health would not permit full time work, but he liked to tinker around.

He would watch the ads in the local papers and old car papers and get leads from friends. He would only buy good cars, and only if he could get them for an attractive price.

I don't remember him ever trading for a car although I am sure he would if he got a good offer.

He would also buy a used motorhome from time to time, fix it up, use it for Hershey and a winter vacation in Florida then sell it when prices went up in the summer.

I too have made money fixing up cars and selling them, and I can tell you the above plan is the best way to do it.

I think the internet has changed this a bit. Before almost everyone became internet savvy or atleast knew someone who was, I think this was real possible. People would go to gatherings looking to buy, when they found something they liked they didn't have the instant access to check it's value. Now they will pull up 4 comps across the county in various states and unless your car is a smoking bargain compared to them they will then try to drive your price down based on those cars, forgetting transport costs, the fact that yours is rebuilt or rechromed or? and figure yours should be the same price as the one fresh out of storage running on 5 out of 6 cylinders with rotten tires, no brakes and an interior infested with mice.

It still works. The secret is to know a good car when you see one, and a good deal. The cars he buys are nice but not perfect, when he gets done they are perfect. This alone, plus cleaning and detailing, are more work than most people think. Then he drives the car and enjoys it until someone just has to have it, and is willing to pay top dollar, by that I mean high end of market price.

For example buy a car this time of year, covered in dust, sitting in the garage for $5000. Do a few hundred dollars worth of repairs and detailing, one sunny summer day at a car show, someone will see this perfect beautiful car and just have to have it for $9000. This does not seem out of bounds to me at all, I have seen it happen too many times.

If anything the internet makes it easier to find good deals, but does nothing to curb impulse buying.

By the way if you add up the hours and dollars you spend, you could probably make more money at the end of the year with a part time job clerking at a convenience store, or greeting at Walmart. But if you enjoy the old car hobby this is a way to enjoy it at minimal expense, maybe pick up a few extra bucks.

Certainly it is better than the usual plan of buying a wreck and trying to fix and sell it at a profit. That never works.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

All right let's say someone does what you say. The internet, or the old cars value guide, says my 1970 Blivet is worth $10,000 in top shape. Mine is in top shape but not perfect. OK you can have it for $9000. Still too much for you? Goodby Jack, I don't need your money. I can wait for someone who wants it bad enough to pay the going price.

So how did I buy a $9000 car for $4500? I didn't. I bought a $5000 car for $4500. Look at your value guide again and see the difference between a #2 and #3, or a #3 and #4.

So why did the guy I bought it from take $4500 for a $5000 car? He wanted rid of it, he needed the money, who knows. And I was the first guy to show up with the cash.

To anyone who has been around the hobby for a while, who has bought and sold a few cars, none of this will come as a shock.