New show Restoration Garage on Velocity

39BuickEight

Let me start off by saying I know it's TV, so much of the show is made for that, but this show does the resoration industry more justice than any other so far. They don't do a body off restoration in 30 days to make a deadline. They take a year or more , and they use real dollar figures. They talk about aspects of the jobs that are real and not mentioned on the other shows. They talk about how once the car is done, a whole new bag of issues comes up after the first test drive.

Bottom line, it's way more realistic than any other "car restoration" show to date. They turn down business when it will cost $200,000 to restore a $40,000 car, or they find a way to help the owner still meet their dreams. I could do without the entire Bugatti car they are trying to make from scratch, but overall, I like it the show for sure.

The shop is named "The Guild" and it's in Canada, north of Toronto. Some of you may have heard of it? Funny how so many of these shows are centered in Canada.

I live not to far from the Guild and know of many stories of them. I think they were at Pebble Beach this year and had their car was turned away for some reason. A fellow in our region had his car in there pulled it out and had the chassis redone by another shop. All I can say is no comment you are watching reality TV.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Let me start off by saying I know it's TV, so much of the show is made for that, but this show does the resoration industry more justice than any other so far. They don't do a body off restoration in 30 days to make a deadline. They take a year or more , and they use real dollar figures. They talk about aspects of the jobs that are real and not mentioned on the other shows. They talk about how once the car is done, a whole new bag of issues comes up after the first test drive.

Bottom line, it's way more realistic than any other "car restoration" show to date. They turn down business when it will cost $200,000 to restore a $40,000 car, or they find a way to help the owner still meet their dreams. I could do without the entire Bugatti car they are trying to make from scratch, but overall, I like it the show for sure.

The shop is named "The Guild" and it's in Canada, north of Toronto. Some of you may have heard of it? Funny how so many of these shows are centered in Canada.

Billy, Before I try to find this show to tape can you tell me if they have Rock and roll music blaring so loud that you can't hear what anybody is saying. Velocity has a bad habit of doing that, it even happens on Carini's show.

Guest Skyking
Billy, Before I try to find this show to tape can you tell me if they have Rock and roll music blaring so loud that you can't hear what anybody is saying. Velocity has a bad habit of doing that, it even happens on Carini's show.

Thank you Don!! I thought I was the only one with a problem trying to watch anything related to YTube or TV with blasting music!!!!! I quit watching anything with music blasting. It seems to be a new trend I don't like...................

I took the door panel and lower hinge off one of my cars in about the same amount of time one of those car TV shows takes. Somehow it just felt more rewarding.

Then I came in and watched a rerun of Wonder Woman. She had to find a porpoise with a deadline before it blew up an oil tanker Then Star Trek came on they had to repair the ship's engines and escape before their ship blew up. Deadlines, always deadlines. THe car I'm working on is 66 years old and if the job doesn't get done on time I'll drive something else.

My life is so unrealistic.........

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

Even HGTV is getting ridiculous. Seems everyone is now an expert on remodeling. New shows every week. Most are hackers when removing perfect kitchen cabinets. The first thing I say to my wife is how nice they would look hanging in the garage. By the time I'm finished saying that, they're in a big pile of junk.

Even HGTV is getting ridiculous. Seems everyone is now an expert on remodeling. New shows every week. Most are hackers when removing perfect kitchen cabinets. The first thing I say to my wife is how nice they would look hanging in the garage. By the time I'm finished saying that, they're in a big pile of junk.

No kidding, the last kitchen remodeled I did I used the wall cabinets in the garage and all the base cabinets including the old island for my train board! After the first of the year I will be remodeling the kitchen of my new house....more plans for those cabinets in the new garage.

I took the door panel and lower hinge off one of my cars in about the same amount of time one of those car TV shows takes. Somehow it just felt more rewarding.

Then I came in and watched a rerun of Wonder Woman. She had to find a porpoise with a deadline before it blew up an oil tanker Then Star Trek came on they had to repair the ship's engines and escape before their ship blew up. Deadlines, always deadlines. THe car I'm working on is 66 years old and if the job doesn't get done on time I'll drive something else.

My life is so unrealistic.........

Bernie

PRICELESS!! One of your best, Bernie.

Ben

Hey Guys,

Good thread! I did notice the music in the backround of Carini's show the other day. Chasing Clasic cars is the only one of those shows I enjoy and look forward to viewing. I drove past his shop a few times, nothing special but nice. Almost every one of those shows I had watched is the same stupid plot line........ "the team only has 16 hours to get this done!" The paint never has to dry either.....

I remember reading production cost and film permits cost a lot less in Canada

Restoration Garage so far seems to be a pretty good show. Wayne's show is one I really enjoy as Wayne is the same guy off camera as he is on. There is a new show coming out next year for those that want to watch car programming. Called the Appraisers and it involves some AACA folks as the "stars". They filmed a segment with me yesterday even though I have a face for radio. The story I told is unlike most stories you hear on TV. They will be filming at Hershey all this week as well as Carini will be here on Thursday along with Fox Business News. This is important air time for your club!

Watched it yesterday in the living room while eating lunch, wife was in the dining room eating lunch and on the lap top. Just like all the Velosity shows and maybe worse this time with the amped up music. If you set the volume so you can hear what the host has to say the R&R will become overbearing. Nothing says it better that when I hear the wife's laptop lid slam down a room away and then the words "how can you stand that NOISE?" I'll finish my lunch in the great room, thank you very much!

Who in the hell does the sound for these shows?? a thirteen year old????

Guest Skyking

Who in the hell does the sound for these shows?? a thirteen year old????

I've been watching "Reckless", a new series I D/L on my PC, then transfer them to a thumb drive to watch on my big screen TV. The show is really good other than the music constantly, and I mean constantly. It's so bad I end up watching it on my PC where I can bring up the treble and try to drown out the music so I can hear them talk. Don't these produces even view this stuff?

I've been watching "Reckless", a new series I D/L on my PC, then transfer them to a thumb drive to watch on my big screen TV. The show is really good other than the music constantly, and I mean constantly. It's so bad I end up watching it on my PC where I can bring up the treble and try to drown out the music so I can hear them talk. Don't these produces even view this stuff?

You know Velocity has a website, I have aired my views about the music. Now is the time for all of you

Last night's episode was not as good, way too much time spent on the same old action scenarios that all the other shows air. Less time in the shop. Hopefully that won't develop into a trend or I'll stop making the effort to watch it. They "worked on" 3 cars. They painted woodgrain for a late model BMW interior, fixed a transmission in an old Cadillac, and replaced the entire unibody on a Camaro. The content was poor compared to the initial episode.