Is the car Market soft???

nick8086

Well actually I come to the shop 48 hrs/week. It's just that now Son supervises the guys most of the time and I do the work I enjoy, woodworking, engine rebuilds and some upholstery. With luck there may be room in the shop later this Summer to bring in one of my cars. Back to the original topic...I do feel that the ever increasing cost of restoration has severely undercut the price of project cars except for the obvious high dollar examples and there seem to be fewer and fewer folks restoring cars in their home garage like you used to see. Do clubs still do "garage tours" ?

....... Do clubs still do "garage tours" ?

Yes, we, the Northern Neck Region" still does. when can we come up David? Wait, we have an AACA Divisional Tour in May. Can we do it after that?:o

It would be neat to have some of the Winchester guys participate too.

Not to go off subject, but a lot of close by regions should share Saturday activities like this.;)

Wayne

The wording in Restorer's post #40 just made me think of this story - A friend wrenched for Porsche/Audi in the mid 80s. The have a guest tech from Germany in for a couple weeks, with limited English. Of course, the first thing he does is review the bulletin board which has a prominent sign "Safetey Glasses Must Be Worn In The Shop At All Times. For Additional Safety Rules, See Below" his first question of the day "Who is this Below"??

OK, back to the topic, I can only think of a couple of at home restorations going on now, they were relatively common back in the 70s and even into the 80s. Re-experiencing that was a big driver for the latest project. Our region has not done a garage tour in three years for that reason - gotta give them a reason to come on over I guess...

The Kaisers did not sell.

Now watch something that is a Little more rare.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-Other-1953-series-ii-woodill-wildfire-all-original-unrestored-/171279139300?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27e10841e4&item=171279139300&pt=US_Cars_Trucks.

I has a Kaiser Willys steering wheel..

post-97742-143142444397_thumb.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

You keep picking niche cars to make your point. The wildfire is neat, but basically a kit car which trades in a small small market. I like Kaisers, but they also trade in a small market. Prices across the board (with the exception of the 1/10 of 1 percent stuff) pulled back in the last 5 years but I wouldn't call the market soft, unless I was trying to sell a 4 door Kaiser or a kit car.

No it is about the 80 year old guy with a stash of cars.. an no buyers....

Kaiser Darrin went from 225 to 80 in two years.. Why too many cars for sale...

Well I Guess I have been fixing stuff that's not worth the big bucks for the wrong reasons all these years. Dandy Dave!

nick8086,

Ebay auctions in progress don't tell the whole story. When I look at those auctions, I see lots of people watching the auctions. Wait until the end and you will probably see a few serious bids. I also am not sure that Ebay is the best place to market those particular cars to obtain the best price. It is a good place for a quick sale, but most Ebay buyers are looking for a bargain and bid accordingly.

The car market may appear "soft" in some areas or for some particuar style of cars, but there is a lot of variety in prices and trends. The more you study what things are selling for, the less I think I know about the car market. Some seem to be going high, some low, some are all over the place. A lot of variables result in a lot of variety.

Yes, agree hard to determine any trends except with possible exceptions such mid to late 30 era coupes gaining in prices over the years in varied degrees of condition...my stuff is in the 20s though i also have a 66 tbirds...correct me if i am wrong but i think 64-66 t bird convertibles were selling for more ten years ago.

nick,

I have been lucky enough to make a profit on some collector cars that I have sold over the years. I have also invested more in a collector car than I will ever be able to sell it for.

The only advice that I can come up with for an 80 year old who has cars that he can no longer use would be the following.

Hobbys cost money. They are for fun and recreation. Hobbys don't generally make for good investments. You win some, you lose some, and some are rained out. If you want to sell cars, sell them for whatever the market is when you want to sell them. If you don't want to sell at that price, don't sell them. Complaining about it does not change the facts. Expecting to only sell collector cars for a profit is not realistic. Drive them and enjoy them as long as you can. After that, if they don't sell, leave them for the next generation and remember the fun you had driving them for all of those years.

Guest AlCapone
nick,

I have been lucky enough to make a profit on some collector cars that I have sold over the years. I have also invested more in a collector car than I will ever be able to sell it for.

The only advice that I can come up with for an 80 year old who has cars that he can no longer use would be the following.

Hobbys cost money. They are for fun and recreation. Hobbys don't generally make for good investments. You win some, you lose some, and some are rained out. If you want to sell cars, sell them for whatever the market is when you want to sell them. If you don't want to sell at that price, don't sell them. Complaining about it does not change the facts. Expecting to only sell collector cars for a profit is not realistic. Drive them and enjoy them as long as you can. After that, if they don't sell, leave them for the next generation and remember the fun you had driving them for all of those years.

Very sensible advice ! We have had our fun and truly that was worth something ! Let it go and forget about it. Lamenting accomplishes nothing ! Wayne

I was into OLD tractors for most of my life and have owned more than a few over the years.

I was "lucky" to have acquired them just before prices sky rocketed on OLD tractors, did very well on most that I sold and got into a few cars.

I got some astronomical returns on some tractors which will never happen with any of my cars and I don't care.

I have more fun with cars that I can drive 8 months a year than I ever had with tractors.

That's not to say I don't still love tractors.......I just love my money pit cars more....... ;)

nick,

I like this one.....

We bought a lot of cars over the years.. Since we were buying in the 1960,70,80 the cost basis should let me get a little more for them..I would buy a car or truck thinking I would fix it.. The last car to the paint shop was 1989.. .Then I had Kids...and no money...

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Well my commute is upstairs so why should I retire ?

As a kid my dream car was either a Lola GT or a Facel-Vega but had to settle for a succession of Jags & an MGA

Did find some statements here interesting: "Just keep away from the small engined prewar odd ball over stressed cars" -like a Squire ? (in my opinion the most beautiful prewar sports car, SS-100 is second)

My rule is simpler, any more I only buy American cars (can quibble about the German made Chrysler but I like 6cyl 2 seaters) and closed cars must have AC (my 'vert does also), even the tow car is usually configured as a 2 seater with a lot of luggage space.

Growing up, cars and computers were my passions and this century can combine them more than ever. Being able to read engine parameters and error codes from my cell phone is nice.

My next purchase will probably be a collapsible travel trailer (looking at TrailManors) which really makes more sense for me than the Vixen (anyone interested in a 21 foot class A RV that gets 30 mpg & qualifies for the AACA ?)

Will admit my main interests start in 1963 when GM introduced the alternator and my oldest these days is a '70 (4 speed and AC) - all of my cars have AC, the RV has two and one of my Reattae is old enough also.

Never said I was consistent nor is the market but bright shiny (resale red convertibles are good) items do well at actions particularly when the bidders are kept well lubricated. Have to keep in mind that "Rare" does not always mean "Desirable".

For me and later cars, CraigsList is more of a weathervane. As long as there are several of anything listed, prices will be down. Once they are only found on serious collector places (e.g. Hemmings) then prices go up particularly if the top goes down. Just my NSHO.

• 5 months later...