Custom Riv built by ‎Jf Launier

neatname

Guest dwhiteside64

Nice to see a Riviera at any car show, and although this is indeed one odd looking specimen it is what one would expect to see at the Autorama.

That styling is pretty similar to what Bill Mitchell wanted to do with the '71 boat tail. He really wanted that car on a A body platform. GM wouldn't approve it.

This car could be made really nice by covering up the school bus chrome yellow.

About 15 years ago I bought a Jaguar XJS. It was delivered in a trailer and I had not driven it. Those cars weigh 4,000 pounds, have a large car feel, and an adequate V12. I pulled out of my driveway the first time and thought "This is a British Buick and this is the car Bill Mitchel l wanted to build in '71." I loved it.

Bernie

That is some very impressive work. If I had to nitpick anything it seems like they struggled a bit trying to finish off the rear in same "WOWEE" fashion the rest of the car has. The boatail trunk lid is awesome but if they could have carried that through the rear bumper just like the 71/72 rivs that would have finished it off nicely.

I love the car, but the color isn't right. One of the best customs I have seen. Extremely hard to integrate different elements from different years and have them be cohesive, but this guy pulled it off pretty good.

Totally agree with DualQuadDave on the color. In a previous career I was with Chrysler (and DaimlerChrysler) and I had a chance to see the Gaffoglio Bros. at Metalcrafters in Fountain Valley CA work their magic creating our concept vehicles for the various major annual auto shows. And yes, color was a major consideration as far as design execution was concerned. So yellow doesn't work here at all, but I love the rear window boattail mix with a first-gen style. I also like the exhaust outlets, but the taillights leave the rear view unresolved, so I'm with 63 Rivi on that. Looks like great execution but they could have used some better design expertise to go the rest of the distance, which wasn't very far, IMO!

WOW! Rivi crossed with a vette.

If you watch the video, you'll find out that it's all Riviera. The back glass et al are from a 71 - 72 Riviera boat-tail. The wheel base has been altered to make it a two passenger vehicle. Quite interesting and after you've watched that video, there are links to subsequent ones.

Ed

Guest rivierafan

Hello ROA members, I don't get on here often, but after looking at the yellow Riv picture,

I thought I'd show what I think is an absolutely beautiful '64 Riv at the Chicago World of Wheels show.

post-75763-143142429015_thumb.jpg

Enjoy! Say Riv Fan in WI., looks almost as nice as yours!

post-75763-143142429003_thumb.jpg

post-75763-143142429011_thumb.jpg

300k for that piece of engineering....definitely not for me. As to what the riddler award is for...i guess i don't get the whole spirit of it. I don't really think yanking out a nailhead and throwing in a crate motor is exciting engineering, but i guess we each have things we would change and things we wouldn't. I would have been 10x more impressed had he kept the original nailhead and improved upon it. The frame change is nice, but a nailhead with aluminum heads that could breathe better paired with the turbos sure would have been showing off your engineering/fab skills more in my opinion...and would keep the heart of the original car. And yes, that would be beyond my meager skill level before anyone asks. Definitely lots of work, but 300k, still can't get over that.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Riviera People: I gotta chime in here. The builder of this yellow Riv is really teasing me with his skill set. I believe it's really to be respected. The car? The dough invested? The dog and pony drama around it?

Heres' how my brain works. All the hours that went into this car could have jacked up at least 100 other First-Gen Rivs, including this one before the fact. Mitch