My 65, another build to follow

RockinRiviDad

David,

i have "343" and "70" stamped on the rear differential of my 65 rivi gs. I posted a thread asking what the numbers meant some time ago.in one of the responses the person stated that he too had the same numbers on the differential of his 65 rivi.my car does have a posi rear end. Hope that helps.you are doing a fantastic job. Im sure your car will be more beautiful than before!

suerte,

arnulfo

No one said this was easy ;) We all have had our struggles and some of them end up costing us money. You're doing good overall from what I can tell, keep up the good work

Thanks for the kind words. As I am following Rob J with his build I am doing the same with yours. Both of your builds rock so to hear u like mine is a huge compliment. Now lets see some more pix on your build so that I can follow your lead lol

Regards,

David

David,

i have "343" and "70" stamped on the rear differential of my 65 rivi gs. my car does have a posi rear end. Hope that helps.you are doing a fantastic job. Im sure your car will be more beautiful than before!

Ahhh posi…I want one lol maybe later. Thx for the compliment also. I will have to check your pix I'm sure your Gran Sport is awesome. I checked your profile to see if it matched your username "de l.a." But you haven't filled it out yet hook us up with some info lol. Are u in Los Angeles Ca or does that mean something else??

Regards,

David

Ahhh posi…I want one lol maybe later. Thx for the compliment also. I will have to check your pix I'm sure your Gran Sport is awesome. I checked your profile to see if it matched your username "de l.a." But you haven't filled it out yet hook us up with some info lol. Are u in Los Angeles Ca or does that mean something else??

Regards,

David

Yea Los Angeles California. Close to downtown l a. Been here all my life ,and love it here. you won't be seeing any pics of my car or myself. I have serious trust issues with people and the internet.my rivi is pretty much stock except for a bad paint job it got from the previous owner. It's a daily driver. I don't plan on ever painting or doing a restoration. If I did I don't think I would enjoy it as much as I do now. Anyways , that's my story and I'm sticking to it !

arnulfo

Yea Los Angeles California. Close to downtown l a. Been here all my life ,and love it here. you won't be seeing any pics of my car or myself. I have serious trust issues with people and the internet. Anyways, that's my story and I'm sticking to it !

arnulfo

Well I'm sorry to hear about your "trust issues with people" brother. I'm not far from u & I was gearing up to offer a little Rivi fellowship to talk cars with u over a cup of coffee, lunch or a beer (all of those in any order would work too lol) I would like to think ALL people are good people but we know how that is.…getting to be a sad world if we let it…not me…I'll hang with whoever is willing…so lets go! who's willing? lol

Regards,

David

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

Hey David,

Thanks for the great thread, you are dong a great job! Also, you seem to have a very positive attitude that comes though on all your post. Keep up the great work and keep on sharing. Wish I was back in So Cal, we could park the rivs, sit back and stare at them while drinking beer!

Bob

I am painting the underside this week and remarrying the frame and body on New years Eve (atleast in the morning before we start drinking)

I was on that same plan as u this week until I found a little rust to address under the carpet. I broke a rule & started to HI-jack your "underbody cleaning/undercoating" thread about this topic...sorry...it seemed like the appropriate place to post my questions until you look back and realize "UGH, I'm an idiot". I will start my own as soon as I clean the rust and post more pics for direction. Funny thing is you could not see it from the underside it seems the water has been coming in thru the broken elec window wire loom. I see what most people do is cut out the section and weld in a new section...which might be what I end up doing...but if the holes are small enough would just cleaning to bare metal and filling in the hole with welds work??? Also, I am having a heck of a time pulling the back seats out. I did a search and a post came up instructing how but I am not having any luck...any suggestions???

coast said:
Hey David,

Thanks for the great thread, you are dong a great job! Also, you seem to have a very positive attitude that comes though on all your post. Keep up the great work and keep on sharing. Wish I was back in So Cal, we could park the rivs, sit back and stare at them while drinking beer!

Bob

Thanks brutha...you made my day...if/when you visit So Cal there will be a cold one (or 12) waiting in the fridge for ya lol...

Merry Christmas

This day was both frustrating & rewarding at the same time. A simple task of marrying my transmission to the engine took hours when working by yourself. At one point the wife poked her head out into the garage & found herself sucked into helping out in hopes to stop me from cursing any louder & pissing the neighbors off. She wasn't much help but bless her for trying. One of the studs that protrudes from the engine that helps guide the transmission onto the engine kept hanging up 1/8" into the corresponding hole. I tried & tried with no luck. Finally a neighbor came home from work & helped me lift the trans onto the tailgate of the truck & we raised the engine with the hoist up to the trans…that went smooth as butter thank God

Then we mounted both to my frame

6DCE5461-E1E0-4A11-9340-AA6527237DEE.jpeg.888b9fef93ebc69324b157651370fbac.jpeg

B0B85B44-9A32-4A59-BC1E-B026FDAF3B8B.jpeg.1c13d2ff0522a000fda191252ceb6855.jpeg

3E807C71-D806-46B5-B52A-09D0682530BC.jpeg.1c868db5b7e32bded8d37f551ad8f27f.jpeg

In my inexperience & excitement to get this car back on the road I opted to roll the dice on NOT giving the trans a rebuild since it ran fine before. So I scrubbed the housing (I should've painted it like Rob J did his, looks good Rob), dropped the pan, drained the fluid & put in a new filter in. Now I seem to be having problems with the trans kick down solenoid. Maybe I should've tested that first before I mounted it up lol. Here's my trans kick down solenoid thread link if u haven't seen it. Ed has been helping me maybe u guys can give me some pointers with that too…

Those are the body mount bushings I got David. Sorry I never posted a pic of those. Work's kicked my a$$ these past few weeks. :( Good thing is, I have one more work day, (tomorrow, Monday) then I'm off until the 6th of Jan. 2014 Yee Haw, will be getting some work on the Riv done.

Your build is coming along nicely!!! Keep it up. Doesn't look quite as good as the work I do, but it's not bad. :cool: JK, I'm just messing with ya kid. LOL!!!

Happy Holiday's!!!!

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

TexasJohn55 said:
David, I couldn't help but notice that small caliper and pad setup appears to only use about half of the available rotor surface. Is that pretty common on conversion/aftermarket kits? re: post 33

Your project is really coming along, nice work.

John

John,

That does look like a small caliper huh I thought it was just me. Compared to what I'm used to seeing on full sized cars & trucks of late it did look smaller to me too. I asked the same question & I was reassured that most "conversion kits" will come with the single piston caliper to keep cost down but still effective. It is the larger of the two more common single piston calipers. I was also told these are the standard D52 (i think that was the # he said it was) calipers that can be found at any local jobber & on later model (later than our Riv's) disc brake cars.

When I first thought about this conversion I was gonna go the Scarebird route & these are all the same components (calipers, rotors, hoses, bearings). Their parts list calls for calipers from a 71-76 cadillac de ville. If this little caliper stopped that land yacht I hope it'll stop my Riv. But now I'm wondering if its just the pads that are actually too small. That was your question in the first place, this set up only using 50% of the available rotor surface. I will look into that cuz I don't like the look of that either thx for pointing that out.

Oh one other visible detail that sold me was at the shop where I bought the kit. There was at least 6 different customers project cars there…all with this type of single piston caliper brake kit. Some were there for this very conversion others with the conversion done in the past but getting other work done. He claims brake conversions & electrical work are their #1 jobs with no complaints about the brake kits.

Great catch John. I hope someone reading this can school us up more cuz I'm sure I've said it before & I'll say it again & again…I'm still learning. This is exactly the type of dialogue I need.…I need your advance/knowledge

Those are the body mount bushings I got David. Sorry I never posted a pic of those. Work's kicked my a$$ these past few weeks. :( Good thing is, I have one more work day, (tomorrow, Monday) then I'm off until the 6th of Jan. 2014 Yee Haw, will be getting some work on the Riv done.

Your build is coming along nicely!!! Keep it up. Doesn't look quite as good as the work I do, but it's not bad. :cool: JK, I'm just messing with ya kid. LOL!!!

Happy Holiday's!!!!

Sweet! Party at Rob's house 'til the 6th…who's in? lol it's all good I totally understand about being busy. If work didn't keep u busy then u might not be able to afford a "step by step build journal" right? You sold me on the body mount bushing kit when u said it was an improved version of the originals.

Thx for the compliments but our friend Dave Gaines said it best "your build looks just like Rob J's…only BETTER" lol jk

Merry Christmas

Regards,

David

More progress pix…

Pulleys are on, fan/fan clutch on, alternator & fuel pump painted black, p/s pump rebuilt & mounted.

5486386A-7EA0-4955-8AED-654E3D0261B0.jpeg.6257c38e48d8ecec5a3b92a0e929ec86.jpeg

To save a buck, I tried to rebuild the p/s pump. But in the pumps teardown & cleaning phase I poked a hole in the tiny little metal filter screen (Dammit). So I had to send it out…

633DA62A-E830-471F-806C-525A69703D6F.jpeg.5fcebcbe76c31e02ebf55b5cdabc58aa.jpeg

So to make up for it I tried again this time with the distributor…totally redeemed myself…ok I didn't do it alone…haha

553AB84A-556D-4640-A716-E54571EAC087.jpeg.dc0c144dfe08fb7683eb79ea11414573.jpeg

I had help from my old friend Tim @ T&M Performance, San Fernando, Ca…his advice was to pull the electronic ignition out (Pertronix) & go back to points…what are your opinions??

52F7BA09-3BC4-437E-B698-CF2E87783A4B.jpeg.8a0937635fe07bab27f2844efbba6992.jpeg

coast said:
The black brackets fan and pump look amazing! What paint did you use?

I know right?!?! Thx brutha. I said the same thing to one of the guys here when I saw that paint sheen on their car.…I had to have it.

It's Rustoleum's 7777 rattle can…crazy nice for a rattle can huh? Only bummer is that is takes longer to dry than what u might be used to using. Like anything prep is a big factor too.

I've been using a combination of blacks as to break things up a bit (another great tip from guys here). But some guys like things ALL the same black. Not me. I used Rustoleum 7777, the KBS gloss (which was labeled satin…not) & Dupli-color's semi-gloss 1635 this stuff dries faster than stuff your prob used to using lol

U can use any combination but its def a nice detail instead of EVERYTHING being the same color IMO. 

Radiator & hoses (almost) on, fan shroud from CARS in, tranny lines in, distributor & plug wires all over the place…

148BB415-E9DE-42DE-8632-469DFEFC4D12.jpeg.5e322f4f45b13308db3247fda56b9482.jpeg

I'm not sure I'm digging on the stainless plug wire separators I bought from Russ Martin for $35. They're nice but I've seen how some of u guys run the wires behind the finned wire covers making for a much cleaner look. I like that better. Does that mean I need the plug wires with the 90 degree bend at the spark plug end?? Or do u guys just cram the covers over the standard plug wires??

F702B467-07CD-4CC4-8F16-96A8D08057CD.jpeg.e00756e7192ff8bd159c0642d88bc9ff.jpeg

People come in & out of our lives all year long…some good some bad…

Today I was blessed to meet a good, down to earth, genuine man who shares a common love for Rivieras with us. He happens to be a member on this forum and reminded me of a modern day Santa Claus…he even has a red Riviera lol. Maybe its the Xmas spirit in the air but it is very refreshing to know there are people like this gentleman on this forum. This selfless man made it clear he didn't want payment for his gesture but after taking me for a cruise in his 65 he sent me home with a couple of early Xmas presents and a ton of motivation…

Thank you Mr Arnulfo de l.a.

It was very nice to meet you…you made my year…Merry Xmas

10C00A30-0B11-482F-B7D3-4D92BE22718F.jpeg.8462953f72a3f05e2ca506c2efd07da9.jpeg

Since I never had a headlight motor & the expensive stock headlight motor price made it unobtainable. I was gearing up to buy one of the "all new motors" that Carbuff2 (Paul, a member in Fresno, Ca) is producing. So I decided I wouldn't be needing the frame mount bracket for the stock motor. Now that Santa brought me a headlight motor I gotta take a few steps backwards by taking out the radiator & everything attached to it in order to get the mounting bracket in place. All well worth it, right?

0FA82826-567D-43B7-9C9A-2F5B549BF8BA.jpeg.66c32579a0d77d3d5bea9b296688246f.jpeg

Ahh, poor baby, you gotta take stuff apart again. LOL, congrats on the headlight motor. Who got you that? You lucky dog you. Nobody ever got me any car related gifts.

Rob J said:
Ahh, poor baby, you gotta take stuff apart again. LOL, congrats on the headlight motor. Who got you that? You lucky dog you. Nobody ever got me any car related gifts.

lol it was a collaborated effort but the wife hooked me up. Now I've got no choice but to knock out the "honey do" list…well worth it.

This headlight motor was rebuilt. But I was thinking about spraying the exterior of it with something like the rubberized undercoating stuff to help waterproof it?? Is it already water tight?

David ,

i think those headlight motors were somewhat waterproofed out the factory. If the previous owner opened it up to check/ rebuild, he broke the seal. I would definitely do something to attempt sealing it especially if you plan on driving in the rain. I spread silicone seal on the screw heads, and mating surface joints on mine when I went through it.there is a rubber cover that goes over the top of the micro switches which provides some water protection to them.i think Clark's corvair may have them.I drive my car year round rain, sleet,or snow and so far my clam shells are still working perfectly with all original parts. Jus kidding about the sleet and snow. As you well know , we get none of that here in beautiful,downtown l.a.:cool:This ole girl gets NO breaks !

arnulfo

arnulfo de l.a. said:
there is a rubber cover that goes over the top of the micro switches which provides some water protection to them.i think Clark's corvair may have them.

I drive my car year round rain, sleet,or snow

I was LMAO when I read the sleet & snow part lol. Thx for the reply Arnulfo…I didn't know about the micro switch cover. I will check Clark's. Oh… is it that rubber like flap that Is mounted over the whole motor?

Less than 30 mins here on the West Coast for the end of 2013 you all have been a huge help…THANK YOU…13 months into my build & I couldn't have gotten this far without this forum.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE.

The rubber flap actually snaps into the sheet metal (some people call it a stone shield) that fits between the bumper and the grille. And, it is held in place by two clips that are very similar to the clips that hold the dust shields around the upper "a" arms of the front suspension. I am not saying that Clark's doesn't have it but I have not seen it on their website. I have seen them pop up on ebay from time to time.

David, this is what it looks like. It clips on to the lower valance sheet metal right under the grill. You may have been wondering why that valance has two holes in it.

T2eC16dzEE9s3Y8SBRQ5ku18E60_35_zpscca44f82.jpg