Cut the roof off of my Roadmaster

bhambulldog

I don't know it's about time these quality vehicle earn more than just admirable appreciation. If you look at the tummy button chevy world they are farting these things out at over $ 100k and for what, an over produced tinny vehicle that practically everyone owned and or now owns so have I missed something here?

I don't know it's about time these quality vehicle earn more than just admirable appreciation. If you look at the tummy button chevy world they are farting these things out at over $ 100k and for what, an over produced tinny vehicle that practically everyone owned and or now owns so have I missed something here?

That's just what my Daddy would say!

( and he'd be as right as you are)

You're talking about the rocker covers I presume. I remember when he did that or at least our conversation about it after the fact. He loved them. My side of the conversation was that if they didn't offer them they should have. I have seen period pictures of them chromed and heard that Skylarks and some Roadmasters came with them but never found any "proof". Here is a '53 brochure showing off the new V8. I plan to copy this on my Century some day.

I'd still just as soon have a nice air conditioned 76R over a 76C. On the convertible you loose the most beautiful and sexiest part of the car...the beautiful french curved roof line. Now a 66C is a different story. I'd give my... anything.. for a 54 Century convertible.

qd09.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Can anybody actually sew a tight seat anymore? That is an abomination.

(The Century / Special)

I'd say those are probably JC Whitney seat covers Mike. Carpet too maybe

Lamar, what distinguishes the two?

Chris the only Century identifier I see is the Century script ornament on the rear quarter. Everything else, the word Special in the center of the dash cluster, the 4 in the beginning of the VIN # and the 2 bbl carb say it is a Special. Even without any of these identifiers I'd give 2 to 1 odds it is a Special. There were something like 6,000 Special verts produced and only like 2,700 Century's. It's a Special

It appears to be solid and pretty much unmolested though. I wouldn't kick it out of my stable.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Since my wife doesn't read this forum, I can say that my average cost is about 5 to 10% of it's estimated value annually during each 10-15 years of ownership. With one in the garage for 35+ and another approaching 15 years I guess I am qualified. This year I am adding temperature control and I know it is important, cooling next summer. That will add another $1,000.

This car claims Pebble Beach Standards (over restored to the point it may be considered modified?). You definitely have an environment and temperature sensitive car. It is not a car to let sit for six months under a car cover.

It is quite a liability.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)