51 Buick Deluxe on eBay (not mine)

Eric W

• 2 weeks later...

Hhmmm, 9 hours no bids. Eric, yours is better and at a better price. 1st I think you got a title, 2nd, you had a BCA member thoroughly inspect it before hand (Roy) and I believe yours has less rust perforation if any. This one is likely very rusted in key spots, and the seller just wants it gone, so there won't be much effort to advertise and show better photos, so buyer beware.

I do agree though that $400 is a fair price, even with rust issues. It appears complete, so there is something to work with, and crusher price is in the $250-$350 range delivered.

Many folks believe crusher price is $350 to $400 a ton but I have never actually had a car that I stripped bring more then $150 picked up.

I have really considered this one as another Buick Rescue project. But I have been advised it would be hard to resell without a title. I have never applied for a title before, but I heard it can be expensive. I have also been advised to get it and part it out, but I don't know if I really want to do that. It looks very complete and solid except for the area around the wheel wells. But who knows what the floors are like, or if the tires will hold air long enough to get on a trailer, or if the wheels will turn, etc. If you look close, you can see the tops of the back seat and dash, which look solid, too. It is 6 hours from me, not that far for a serious look. I'm on the fence right now. Please, someone try to persuade me one way or the other.

I don't know if this one itself is worth saving, but that's a very complete parts car, at least. As Ben pointed out, just sell a couple of things, and the rest is to the plus side (for the next rescue project, or whatever).

-Bumpers

-Front bumper "bullets"

-The bunch of stainless parts

-The engine - complete or in pieces...

-The glass (if it's good)

-Instruments

-Dash center / radio

-Seats (regardless of upholstery/not)

-Anything in the trunk - jack/spare/hubcaps

-Vintage rims

-Frame suspension might go w/ a better body...

If it goes that path, then get weight value for the remainder.

Or...

Someone pulls it out and finds it's either not so bad or what badness there is, they can handle (or have handled).

I have really considered this one as another Buick Rescue project. But I have been advised it would be hard to resell without a title. I have never applied for a title before, but I heard it can be expensive. I have also been advised to get it and part it out, but I don't know if I really want to do that. It looks very complete and solid except for the area around the wheel wells. But who knows what the floors are like, or if the tires will hold air long enough to get on a trailer, or if the wheels will turn, etc. If you look close, you can see the tops of the back seat and dash, which look solid, too. It is 6 hours from me, not that far for a serious look. I'm on the fence right now. Please, someone try to persuade me one way or the other.

GO FOR IT, Roy!!

Ben

Guest shadetree77

Glad to know it got saved Pete. What are your plans for it? Parts car? Restore it? Re-sell? Actually, I guess that would depend on condition upon inspection.

Pete and I discussed it quite a bit and Pete decided to get it and see what happens. In the meantime, another local BCA member became interested, so he may end up with it. He said he wants to at least try to get it running. We will see, but at least it will be another Buick Rescue project. I feel good about it and can't wait to see it in person.

Pete and I discussed it quite a bit and Pete decided to get it and see what happens. In the meantime, another local BCA member became interested, so he may end up with it. He said he wants to at least try to get it running. We will see, but at least it will be another Buick Rescue project. I feel good about it and can't wait to see it in person.

...and that's what being in the BCA is all about. Saving cars, discussing it as a common interest, not caring who ends up with it in the end (pretty much) it will still be saved, rescued, had fun with and is not getting crushed.

I didn't even catch that it was a 3 speed manual.

The condition of the floors and frame will help decide whether it gets fixed up or parted out. No title, so that's one negative already, but standard shift and looking totally unmolested and 100% complete are the positives. A young guy who helps me in my garage wants it and hopes to get it running/driving, so he can have an old Buick and be active in the BCA. It's a good sign when a 30-year-old guy wants a car like this. I'll shepherd him along and make sure he does it right!

Pete

"LIKE"

The condition of the floors and frame will help decide whether it gets fixed up or parted out. No title, so that's one negative already, but standard shift and looking totally unmolested and 100% complete are the positives. A young guy who helps me in my garage wants it and hopes to get it running/driving, so he can have an old Buick and be active in the BCA. It's a good sign when a 30-year-old guy wants a car like this. I'll shepherd him along and make sure he does it right!

Pete

Guest shadetree77
It's a good sign when a 30-year-old guy wants a car like this....

Awesome. Good to hear I'm not the only one.:) Under your guidance he can do no wrong. Keep us updated on it Pete.

I do agree though that $400 is a fair price, even with rust issues. It appears complete, so there is something to work with, and crusher price is in the $250-$350 range delivered.

Many folks believe crusher price is $350 to $400 a ton but I have never actually had a car that I stripped bring more then $150 picked up.

Just checked scrap price here this week and whole car delivered brings $13/100#--either side of $500 for complete car.