Farewell Buick Friends

Guest ole buick

Guest ole buick

After much consternation I have decided it best to leave this Forum. While I have enjoyed meeting many of you I have inadvertantly offended someone. I am a Christian and his comment questioning my faith has given me cause to leave. You have been a really fun and informative group. I will continue to enjoy the old Buick and I wish you all the best and many miles of happy motoring. I will miss you all.

May God Bless You,

Donnie Wallace

Guest my3buicks

Don, if all of us left the forum every time we insulted someone or were insulted by someone (perceived or real) there would be hardly anyone left on the fourm. Shake it off and move on.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

I nearly did it too. I'm glad I didn't. I think maybe one person was glad that I didn't either. We're bound to upset someone or vise-versa without trying. It happens and it's best to let bygones be bygones. We won't be able to get along with everyone or make everyone happy no matter how hard we try.

If you've made up your mind to leave, please have your car looked over. You need to make sure there haven't been any other short cuts taken that may affect your safety or the safety of others that you are sharing the road the road with.

May God be with you.

As civil as we might try to be, there might be something which somebody else might feel is not completely , or otherwise. As our society grows more diverse, it has resulted in some previously-"fine" comments now being deemed "inappropriate" in nature and orientation. A word my father's generation would use as a normal matter of course, to describe another person, is now terribly offensive to many the term would refer to. By the same token, "Blazing Saddles" was funny when it was first shown (we laughed a lot during that movie! . . . in the early 1970s), but a work associates 12 year old daughter (after he cautioned her and her younger sister about some of the content and dialogue) talked about how "racist" that movie was.

Times change just as orientations and sensitivities change, but many in our society have not really come to realize that and, unfortunately, can unknowingly offend others for saying things that they USED to say and it was ok. Be that as it may . . . I'm presuming the offending remark was not meant as such when it was made, hopefully.

We can't change what was communicated, in the written word or otherwise. Personally, I don't really like the "shake it off" orientation either, as that might imply that such offenses are not really "offenses", but something less significant in nature. Obviously, some might not agree with me on this, which I respect. As I don't know what the original remark might have been, I'm not going to address the "thicker skin" orientation.

I will say that sometimes, in the normal course of conversations or dialogues, somebody might say something which "hits a chord" with somebody who might hear it, which can trigger "personal history" for the person hearing it. For example, one time in the not too distant past, I was having some situations at work, having accepted an alternative job to make sure I had a job (as that was how I perceived it was presented to me), so that led to a certain degree of depression. The morning radio show I normally listened to, which was supposed to be funny, sometimes included some talk I perceived as insensitive in nature . . . anything for a laugh, it seemed. Some people would have laughed at it and went on, but for somebody like me, it triggered past thoughts (thoughts I had to keep bottled-up in a compartment in my brain, so they wouldn't get out!) that could send me into a further-depressed state, which I knew was not good and a place I didn't want to be. So . . . I stopped listening to that radio station and discovered the local NPR station . . . which I came to realize was a real treasure in radio. Then, I found out what a-typical depression was . . . everything's fine until something triggers past thoughts that are depressing in nature . . . plus some chromium picollinate for good measure. The comments by the radio personalities were supposed to be amusing, but they were very insensitive from my perspective.

Time can tend to heal all wounds, but that doesn't discount the fact the wounds were inflicted in the first place. My work situation got better 27 months later, with me getting back to where I had previously been, but the damage was done. Although things are much better now, I'm still a little gunshy in some respects and if I see the potential of some signals being communicated.

In closing . . . I might add that you don't have to leave, nor do we desire that to happen, either. There is nothing to keep you from monitoring this and other forums. It's your decision to participate or not. Please don't completely leave, though.

Each forum has their own designated Moderators. Please communicate with Mr. Earl about your feelings and orientations, including the particular post. That way, he can communicate with the offending poster and further investigate the matter. This can also allow our Moderator(s) to further monitor particular posters to see if a pattern might appear, which can lead to other actions as they might deem appropriate. In the past, some posters have been warned and they later came back in a better orientation toward others.

Please consider staying, even if you don't participate as in the past. We can't fix what happened, or why it happened, but we might prevent such in the future, possibly.

Take care and best of luck in the future,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Donald,

About six months ago I did the same thing you did, only mine was worse. I intentionally discredited someone who I thought was running a scam. It turned out I was wrong, and he was legitimate. I made my apologies, but still felt I should leave the forum. The same guys who posted above gave me the same advice they just gave you.

I am still annoying at times. I try to make everything funny, and that doesn't always come across the way I intended. But, in the past six months I have been able to make a few people laugh, and help others in ways I would not have been able to do had I left.

Stick around. If nothing else with all these old Buicks, we need all the prayer we can get!

Guest ole buick

I truly appreciate your thoughts and sincere feelings. I am not the one offened. A person joked with me, I joked back and he was offended, then he made reference to my Christian Faith. I am not mad or offended. I sent the person a personal and public appology. I am a devout Christian and feel it is best to let it drop, which is why I was saying farewell to all of you who I have enjoyed getting to know.

Thanks Again and May God Bless You.

Ol Dandy Dave says, "If you can't laugh at yourself, Who can you laugh at?" I laugh at myself, with myself, around myself at lot of times. ( OH No...Here comes the guys with the White coats again. ) ..... :P

Just hang around and stay tuned for more Buickful advice and adventures. :cool: Dandy Dave!

ole buick,

As a moderator, I will just say that lots of people have posted more offensive attempts at humor and are still here and did not apologize. I think you are over reacting to your failed attempt at humor. You simply need to understand that a large percentage of communication is through the non-verbal clues that we do not have in using a forum. Tone of voice, vocal inflection, body language, facial expression and a lot more are involved in humor when it is in person. Lacking those clues, trying to use humor with just the written (typed) words is difficult to pull off successfully. Your offense here was minor compared to many others. If it would make you feel better you both could go back and edit your comments that caused the problem, or as a moderator I can delete them. If it will help erase the pain, I can erase the words. Let me know if you would like me to do that. Only you can decide what you want to do, but in my church they teach us that none of us are perfect and we all make mistakes. Christians aren't supposed to be perfect, just forgiven.

Donald, I do not fully understand whom offended whom in this case but can not believe anyone on here meant to be hurtful. I agree with the sentiments expressed by others above and will go so far as to say that this is probably the most civil and respectful antiques automotive forum in existence, in other words... if you leave here where will you go....you never know when you may need the help that members here can provide, not to mention the friendships and camaraderie....... To quote a very wise man,I hope you "hang around and stay tuned for more Buickful advice and adventures". Besides, we never got to see your momma on a Buick.

8z21.jpg