1953 Buick Skylark

rwchatham

Trying to get a little input on the value of a 1953 Skylark. Is a nice original running rust free car that is ready for the paint. The seller was going to freshen it up , paint, chrome, interior but it does not need a frame off. The seller has it ready for paint and is unable to continue iwth the project. Do you guys think it is worth the price of 55K that he wants in todays market ? Once again a nice original that is ready for paint and could use the trim and interior redone. Thanks.

IMO, if you pay 55K for the car and then pay for a top quality interior, paint job, and re-chrome WITHOUT a full body off restoration you will be underwater. On the other hand if you pay 55K for the car and then pay for a full body off restoration with top quality interior, paint and re-chrome you will be underwater.......................Bob

Sheesh, without pictures on a $5000 car our advice is sketchy, on a Skylark, which can be worth to six figures...well, not worth much (the advice, that is)...

Personal inspection may reveal that the car is a dog, or it may reveal that with just a little more money (ummm...$20K for a show paint job, that's reality now....$10K is a driver quality, which is OK but won't bring the value up much) the car could be worth doing....

Do you have photos at least?

You have quite a few postings related to a 1953 Skylark being refurbished and ready for paint. Is that the car being offered for sale? It seems like you have very intimate knowledge of the car. If it is that car and you are uncomfortable with the price I'd say pass on it.

Bernie

No this is not my car. I have 2 Skylarks that I am restoring right now . This is a car that I may have to buy in a package to get another car that i want. I am a little familiar with Skylarks I know what i paid for mine, but I am just trying to get a feel on todays market. In case I have to buy this one to get the other car I would not want to keep it. It really is a very rust free driver and if it had not been touched I am sure it would have brought the 55K at least. But with the restoration already started I think it might be a little high. Thanks.

How "nice" can it be if it needs paint, interior and chrome redone?

John, it really is a nice car. I saw it before he started to work on it and it was a rust free car. I consider it a nice car because it was a 53 skylark that was never restored and it is rust free. Hard to find them like that any more guess you would have called it a tired original car but rust free and that is getting harder to find on Skylarks these days. If it was never touched i would give him the 55 in a minute but with the work being already started I dont know how what that will do to the price and am just trying to get a few opinions. Thanks

No this is not my car. I have 2 Skylarks that I am restoring right now .

That is your advantage...you are among the few that would know how to put it together and know where to find the missing parts.

The car might have been worth $100,000 before disassembly. Subtract half that value for non-running/driving (always assume that some or all of the drivetrain will need replacement); then subtract another fourth of that value for disassembled car (always assume there are expensive parts missing). $25K would be a starting point. I might go a little higher for a car that I know how to fix and put together (55 Buick).

Willie