1916 Jeffery

Guest Orphan Cars

Guest Orphan Cars

Just purchased a 1916 Jeffery 7 pass. touring. Is there anyone out there with any tech advice on these cars?

Guest Orphan Cars
Just purchased a 1916 Jeffery 7 pass. touring. Is there anyone out there with any tech advice on these cars?
Would like to know who supplied the engine? Did Jeffery, or was it The Buda Engine co. who used it in the Quad? After Nash purchased the company did they continue using this engine in their Rambler? This car is still in transit so don't have any photos yet, but can be viewed on California automobile museum's web page. As near as we can tell the last time this engine was run was in 1966. It turns over and has compression but will be opened up and inspected. Is there a chance of obtaining any parts?

Started to say didn't know whether to tell you to pray it wasn't the Quad Buda/Budas (since Quad restorers are looking under rocks for Jeffery/Nash Quad Budas) or not, as the alternative seemed to be a Rutenbur, but I see listings for a Jeffery engine for the "671" a 6 cyl 31/2x45/8, shown in one parts catalog for 1917 but in another in the 617 for 1916...

Std Cat doesn't mention Jeffery or its predecessor making their own 4 or 6 cyl engines, but if they did it'd probably be harder to find than a Rutenbur; hopefully, if you should have it, it'll be a vendor engine with some Jeffery specified accessories (carb, ign etc) which'll probably be vendor units as well...

Don't panic; join the Nash Club (nashcarclub.org) which also includes Jeffrerys; they'll have all the correct info, as well as dos and don'ts about opening it up. You might also want to post this to the Nash forum here, too. Good luck.

• 2 months later...
Guest orphancars

What a difference a few months make. Thanks to Bud as I went and joined ncca. Their roster states my Jeffery is the only one on the register. After many hours of studying this starter switch (Bijur) and making the repairs needed to fix it the starting system now works. With the help of marvel mystery oil was able to unstick the rings and now has good compression. The vacuum fuel pump also needed work and now works good. After a little tinkering the engine came to life. Some more adjusting and is now running like new. This engine is indeed built by Jeffery. Now working on the fuel system, (tank & lines) Have the tires and tubes on order and should soon be ready for the road. This starter switch I think is the reason this car is still around today. The two previous owners couldn't get it to work and has been in storage for the past 50 yrs. Don't know the history of the first 47 yrs. but this car has very few miles. We think the rear tires are the original Firestone non skid that came with the car. Other than the cracking on the sidewalls and the rotten tubes there is still a lot of tread left. Still looking for parts as with it being so rare you can never have enough. I do have two almost new condition tires off the front. They were purchased in 1962 by one of the previous owners. No cracks and the rubber **** are still on the tread. This is a rare tire size (34X4 black wall) The only reason that I might be interested in selling them is they won't match the new ones. Thanks, Steve. orphancars@q.com

• 4 weeks later...
Guest orphancars

She is now up and running. Over 100mi. since last weekend. Should be in her first parade Monday (veteran's) since she was put into storage back in 1964. Only trouble so far is the speedo drive belt broke today. UPDATE; She made it to the parade. All 7 seats were full and she didn't even moan. Still running great.

post-96912-143142275474_thumb.jpg

post-96912-143142275481_thumb.jpg

Edited by orphancars (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest Steve Jansen

It has been a year since my Jeffery has been up and running. I estimate over 800mi. of almost trouble free miles. The last photos above were of last years Veterans parade. These photos are of an attempt to recreate a photo taken in 1917. The B/W is of a 1916 Chevy. mod. 490. These were taken in front of my Old Courthouse that I'm in the process of restoring. This old girl is still alive and well. The Chevy's whereabouts are unknown.

post-71735-143142821595_thumb.jpg

post-71735-143142821597_thumb.jpg

The 100-year-old photo and the current photo are

especially interesting! It's great to see "then and now"

pictures as you have done.

If you're restoring the old building, I suspect you'll take

the same care in keeping it authentic as you would do

with the Jeffery. For example, don't replace antique windows,

but rather repair them as necessary; and keep original doors,

woodwork, radiators (even if they're by-passed). Your

building will be much more interesting.

You have a very interesting car that's seldom seen on the

road or at shows today. Fantastic!

I think I recall a Jeffery over in Salem NH area,,

back around 1970,,,,Owner was making circuit boards

He also had a 1914 Indian ,,, Cheers,,Ben

• 4 months later...
Guest Steve Jansen

We have all been told by people that their dad or some one else had a car just like yours. Well here is one for the books. Shortly after My Jeffery was in Old Cars Weekly, a woman called telling me her Great-Great Grandfather Had a Jeffery just like mine. After he died her Great Grandfather took it over in 1932. Up until this time it was Great-Greats pride and joy and only used for special occasions. Great Grandpa did the same. In 1939 they were forced to sell it (depression times). Never to be seen again. This woman showed up at my front door with two photos. One showed her one year old great grandpa sitting on the front fender being held by his mother. The other is a side view showing the car is indeed a 7pass. touring. these 7 pass were extra rare because the jump seat option was an extra $35. Well Great grandpa is still alive and wants a ride on his 100th birthday in June. Well if he makes it that long he will have his ride. We are now thinking this could be the same car. It lived in the S.F. Bay area until 1939. From 1940-1963 is unknown. From 1964-2013 it also was a bay area car. Still a lot more to this but won't bore you      

Today June 6, 2015 These people showed up for their ride. All went well he is now 100yrs old. He is the first person to ride in my cars who is older than the car. He swears this was his old car and still trying to find some paper work to prove it. I'm hoping he can find some. This was a great day for all of us. 

Edited by Steve Jansen (see edit history)

Guest Steve Jansen

All Jeffery's 1914-1916 including the 1917 (Nash take over) had cone clutches.

Not to derail your thread but this is an original 1914 that was at Hershey and purchased by Chet Krause about 10 years ago.

It has a cone clutch which I adjusted....... :)

043.JPG

(Photo courtesy of Aumann Auctions)

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I rode around often in a 1916 Jeffery as a kid.  My friends across the street owned several old cars.

The Jeffery was my favorite. I’ll bet the one pictured is it.

The owner was born in 1916 and died in 2005. It was stored in doors with a 1912 Carter Car. 
He also had several model a Fords. I love old cars to this day. 
I have photos somewhere riding in a parade in Orangevale, Ca.  
I’ve tried contacting Steve Jansen without sucsess.

Edited by Doug Holton (see edit history)
  • Like 3