56 Special 4 door (couldn't pass up cause price was right)

Matt,

I'm loving working on my own mechanical, but I am really jealous of your interior! I'm trying to figure out how to class up the interior, but will get guidance for that at a later date. She's beautiful, and if you get in real trouble when you DO finally show your wife, you have another option down in Kentucky! Good luck, and keep going!

Dale in Kentucky (52 Buick Super)

Attended my first AACA meeting last night at my local chapter. It just happened to be the installation banquet for new officers. Was a great time! I am one of the youngest active members of the club at 43 years old. Oh, and I was the only one that drove an antique car. What a great bunch of folks! Cannot wait until next meeting. Matt

• 3 weeks later...

John D, you are funny and thanks for the parts!

I have the 56 ready for winter. I guess I'm a little late as it snowed here this morning. I have done my checklist for prepping the car for the winter and now just have to find the time to get her put away. Soon. Still trying to find a few parts that are missing on the car and with the help of a friend, we are making it happen!:D

• 4 weeks later...

Put the car away into storage last night. Pulled off the wiper motor to be sent off and rebuilt over the winter. I still have access to the car so when I get my new linkage assembly, seat ashtray and aquire a drivers door mirror, I can install everything. Driveway sure looks bare. I've not done much lately. Been practicing tuba for the winter TUBACHRISTMAS concerts. Matt

Put the car away into storage last night. Pulled off the wiper motor to be sent off and rebuilt over the winter. I still have access to the car so when I get my new linkage assembly, seat ashtray and aquire a drivers door mirror, I can install everything. Driveway sure looks bare. I've not done much lately. Been practicing tuba for the winter TUBACHRISTMAS concerts. Matt

More TUBA!

Matt,

I ordered my rebuild from Old Buick Parts (I think that's the name of the place?) It has an awesome online catalogue...ALMOST every part you could ask for. Your car looks amazing, and you're ahead of me on your four door....so will be watching to see your progress. Have fun!

Dale

Thanks guys. To get an idea of what I'm talking about, check this out........

All tuba and euphonium players gather together at Rockefeller center on the ice to play Christmas carols. This is the 40th anniversary this year and I would expect more than 400 players there. Notice, there are no other types of instruments, only tubas. So, I will be in Binghamton, NY on Saturday for a concert and then Sunday in NYC. Wish us luck. Matt

Matt, stumbled onto your thread tonight and read from beginning to end. Thoroughly enjoyable! Thanks also for bringing another element into this musty old garage - the tuba concert. We had a 56 wagon when I was a kid, so the 56 brings back memories. Also, I envy your proximity to Hershey and Carlisle.

Geoff

Missouri

• 1 month later...

I have the wiper motor ready to be shipped out for rebuild. I have been lucky to have a friend that was able to acquire the ashtray door for the rear of the seat. All I'm really missing is a mirror for the drivers door. Will probably get an aftermarket one. Need to cover the holes in the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was considering sending my wiper motor out for rebuild, but my good buddy John De Fiore convinced me to do it myself. Since I don't have too much going on except wet sanding/buffing on my 47', I cleaned it up and greased the paddle. It seems to move with a little more dedication. Guess I'll see when I put it back on the car. I didn't paint it because it will look out of place in the engine compartment.

• 1 month later...

I was able to go get my girl out of storage this afternoon! Ain't she pretty? Drivers door glass had a small crack that got BIG over the winter. Gonna have to replace that. Might be able to start putting the wiper motor, and kickdown linkage assembly and draft tube on for this weekend.3ynudaqa.jpg

Tonight I pulled her into the garage next to the 47' and proceeded to change out the "accelerator linkage" assembly. Mine was broken at the top. This prevented the transmission from "downshifting" to passing speed. It's a Dynaflow and I know it doesn't change gears like todays automatics, but same outcome having it. WOW! What a difference in performance. I took it out for a spin to pick up some light bulbs for the dash lights and really appreciated the fully funcional rebuilt transmission! I have tons of power and get up and go!

Got back home and changed out all of the burnt out bulbs on the dash and now have all of the lights functional!

I also tried to figure out how to get my downdraft tube put on. (Thanks Mr. Earl) Gonna have to study it a little more cause it doesn't want to slip in-behind the head and fall into place like I want it to.

Oh well! Might get a chance this weekend to try again.

Matt

Congrats man. Too bad the dynaflow got a reputation as a slow trans from prior versions. The 56 version is really decent. But by the time this one came out, the damage was done. I would really love to find out what a triple turbine is like.

• 2 weeks later...