CB Required on a BCA Tour?

Guest Shoe1932

Guest Shoe1932

Howdy,

i am taking our '32 to the Fredericksburg, TX BDE sponsored tour this May. It will be my first BCA event. The registration form says that it is required that I have a CB. I can locate one or purchase one if that is the case, but I am wondering if it will work on a 6 volt battery. Anyone have some wisdom on this? I have been on many local club tours but was not familiar with the CB Rule.

From what I have been told, we will be the oldest Buick in the group. If anyone hasn't signed up yet, Ellen (phone # 941-350-4347) is taking late registration goobers like me thru tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice you may have and I look forward to seeing some of you there.

Guest Shoe1932

Mark

Awesome Idea And Solution. I Haven't Even Used A CB In Over 20 Years And Didn't Think About A Walkie Talkie. I Will Stop By To pick One Up This Week

Thanks Again!

Last I heard from Ellen they had 50 cars registered. Glad to hear you are going. Yes a CB is required and the BDE often has spares to cover units that fail at the last minute.

We were originally taking the Enclave because we were expecting guest from Indiana. The are unable to make the tour so we will bring a 1991 Reatta coupe.

Hope you can make the Bluebonnet meet in Bastrop this weekend.

Guest Shoe1932
Last I heard from Ellen they had 50 cars registered. Glad to hear you are going. Yes a CB is required and the BDE often has spares to cover units that fail at the last minute.

We were originally taking the Enclave because we were expecting guest from Indiana. The are unable to make the tour so we will bring a 1991 Reatta coupe.

Hope you can make the Bluebonnet meet in Bastrop this weekend.

Barney,

I am looking forward to the tour as well. We are bringing my 7 year old (the owner of our '39 Plymouth) and my 4 year old (the owner of the '32 Buick). We plan on getting in on Saturday afternoon and will be leaving on Monday evening. Kiddos need to get back to school and we need to get back to work. Ellen said that there were quite a few cars registered, but said that I would most likely be the oldest one. I have a good friend here in Austin who has a '33 but I have been busy and haven't asked him about coming. I am looking forward to the tour and hope that the kids will have a good time too. I did not know about the meet in Bastrop this weekend. We have a big thing with our church and I wont be able to attend. Couple that with football for the 4 year old and Lacrosse for the 7 year old and you have busy Saturdays almost every weekend of the year. Is it a Buick only event? Also is it both days. If so I might be able to make it after church or I could skip church (sin) to drop by.

If I cant make it to the Bluebonnet meet, at least we can get together in Fredericksburg. I guess I will go ahead and purchase a Walkie Talkie. It sounds like a 6 volt CB is not an option.

See you soon.

Don't know about a CB, but I used my XM radio in 6 volt vehicles, and it worked just fine. The radio specs. stated that the input was something like 8 to 15 volts, so, I tried it in Mimi, the pickup, and it worked just fine. Paul

Guest Shoe1932

Dave,

I like you, would have thought cell phones and their new technology is the way to go. worst case scenario I can always bring my GPS. I was told by the event planner that it was required by the BCA and not only by the BDE. I think I found an inexpensive CB walkie talkie on Craigslist and will probably pick it up. seems like a waste of 30 buckS because I don't get the feeling that everyone on this forum uses them. thanks for everyones input. I'm glad I didn't plug A regular CB and my 6Volt cigarette lighter.

I actually like cell phones better than using a CB radio.

It seems there is always somebody on the tour that is constantly talking on the CB.

One lady was announcing and repeating everything she saw as well as announcing every potty stop she made...

That could be annoying.

I led a group of old cars from California to Arizona via a non-freeway route earlier this month and we just used cell phones. It worked and got the job done.

However there are a few of downsides to cell phones:

1. At least out west, there are lots of areas where coverage is lacking. East of Twentynine Palms on California highway 62 there is a section of about 50 or so miles where my phone was totally without service.

2. If you need to do some group coordination, a CB radio allows everyone to hear and contribute whereas a cell phone is pretty much one-to-one.

3. At least in California you are not legally able to use a cellphone while driving without a hands free setup. I don't think there is a similar restriction on CB radios.

So I can see where a tour leader would like to have every car in the group equipped with a CB radio.

By the way, I've tried having tours use the really inexpensive "family radio service" walkie-talkie radios and found that the range and sound quality made them practically useless.

Dave,

I like you, would have thought cell phones and their new technology is the way to go. worst case scenario I can always bring my GPS. I was told by the event planner that it was required by the BCA and not only by the BDE. I think I found an inexpensive CB walkie talkie on Craigslist and will probably pick it up. seems like a waste of 30 buckS because I don't get the feeling that everyone on this forum uses them. thanks for everyones input. I'm glad I didn't plug A regular CB and my 6Volt cigarette lighter.

Shoe,

You have been misinformed. BDE events require CB radios. BCA tours do not, unless specified by the organizer.

As an organization, we do need to be aware of changing laws regarding the use of handheld devices while driving, particularly when you consider that many of our vehicles that may be on tour actually require someone to actually drive (i.e. active participation).

With cell phones, texting becomes an option as well...a text blast can be sent out to all participants. Of course, based on the previous paragraph, this just about requires each automobile have a navigator.

Our first FRS set had some challenges. Our second set is higher quality. The biggest issue is user error - you can't open a channel and start talking immediately...the first word or two is often lost then. The other positive is that we could use it not just when traveling in two vehicles, but also when in and around the National meet to coordinate our locations.

First Tour I went on in late 90's was my one and only CB Tour. I borrowed a CB unit and stole the battery box and deep cycle battery out of the ski boat and wired everything up and made it all fit in a plastic milk crate and strapped it down. Worked great in the driveway.

Problem was, on the Tour, the chatter was really funny and we strained to hear all the funny jokes and Tour screw-ups, near impossible to hear in an open car and ended up a distraction causing us to actually miss turns. Never heard a single direction, only funny stuff. Got lost and out of CB range except for the other lost people in range.

Lesson was: Giving 30+ Old Car people a microphone and an audience can be a hoot but not worth a darn for directions.

Agree on the cell phone. Also make sure the Tour Director has everyone's # and an emergency contact # for someone back at home too and not on the Tour, just in case.

First Tour I went on in late 90's was my one and only CB Tour. I borrowed a CB unit and stole the battery box and deep cycle battery out of the ski boat and wired everything up and made it all fit in a plastic milk crate and strapped it down. Worked great in the driveway.

Problem was, on the Tour, the chatter was really funny and we strained to hear all the funny jokes and Tour screw-ups, near impossible to hear in an open car and ended up a distraction causing us to actually miss turns. Never heard a single direction, only funny stuff. Got lost and out of CB range except for the other lost people in range.

Lesson was: Giving 30+ Old Car people a microphone and an audience can be a hoot but not worth a darn for directions.

Agree on the cell phone. Also make sure the Tour Director has everyone's # and an emergency contact # for someone back at home too and not on the Tour, just in case.

Oh Brian, the Memories... chasing your 23 in Flint with my 15. I think we dazzeled them as many could not keep up with us. And the ride though Hell for Ice Cream.. :P Dandy Dave!

This is cracking me up, CB radios? Do you have to wear period style clothes and carry a change purse with quarters in case you need to use a public phone?

Does anyone remember the little diner at the Hummelstown Plaza where Fall Hershey attendees stood in line to call home on the pay phone? They weren't being used much last I knew.

Seems like it happened in the last century. Yes, the current century is not a new Buick.

Bernie

post-46237-143141872357_thumb.jpg

post-46237-143141872344_thumb.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Ah, but Dandy Dave, nothing beats you in the Holiday Inn pool in Fenton with your '15's inner tube checking your new patch for leaks and the little boy wanting to use your tube and the scared look on all the mothers faces of the 'big kid' 'playing' in the pool.

The rumor that we let the air out of your tire just to get you to bathe is false, at least we think it's false :cool:.

Guest Shoe1932

Howdy

I can't wait to hear the constant chatter and announcement of potty breaks during the tour. I will have my wife and 2 kids with me (4 & 7 years old). I am SURE of one thing, if there is a lot of chatter from the tour members on the CB it will NOT be able to out do the the chatter from the kiddos in the back. (or my wife and I telling them to keep it down). The good news is I have 2 boys so we only need a tree and a patch of grass for our potty breaks. I will try to keep from announcing them.

Did I read that the walkie talkie CB's have very limited range? I was thinking that was my best and least expensive option but may be forced to go another route if that is the case.

Thanks and hope to see sone of you at the tour in May.

John, this CB thing is a non-issue for you, there are no "tours" on Saturday or Sunday. The first "tour" is Monday.

Most people are arriving so they are settled on Sunday and ready to go no Monday. Others come in on Saturday and the organizers have set up a couple of things to do on Sunday for those early people.

The Alamo chapter is sponsoring a Texas hospitality room on Saturday for the early birds. We just had our Bluebonnet tour in Bastrop this weekend and discussed our involvement.

Shoe,

Yes, most low end walkie talkies have more limited range, but some have a plug-in for an outside antenna that helps. They are still good for line of sight communication. So, unless you get really lost, even an inexpensive set should work OK. Just make sure they include the channels that will be used on the tour.

When the "CB" rule was put in place, not everyone had cell phones. I have yet to figure out how you can talk to 30 cars at once on the phone. Yopu can text them , but that is illegal in many states, unless you have a co -pilot. As far as the 6=12 volt issue, a jump box works just fine . You can also install a 6-12 invertor. I found that the jump box works better asyou don;t get as much engine noise ( plugs firing etc.)

Guest Shoe1932

Barney,

We Are Arriving On Saturday Mid Day And Will Participate In The Tour On Monday So We Are Looking Forward To That. I Need To Get With You About Joining The Alamo Chapter At Some Point. See you Saturday. I Think I Will "Forget To Bring" My CB. See You Guys Soon And I Look Forward To Meeting Some Of You And Seeing Your Cars.

Thanks