1963 Riv at registered at Mecum in Houston

RivNut

OK Riviera People: It amazes me that builders that have such a high skill set can't see the forest for the trees. I personally don't like anything about this car. Perhaps it's my taste. I think the builder might have an ego problem. Anyway, it's their car and they can do what they want with it, no different than me have my stuff laying in a field waiting for some jerk (like me) to make a comment. Mitch

Guest Gseago

Seems like the builder designed it a little to much to his own personal taste. It's going to be hard getting top auction dolor unless someone with a similar style is interested in it.

I looked at the car with an open mind. well, you know, kinda of. The striking thing to me was how little the original design was changed. At least Bill Mitchell chopped to to on his. Look at the last picture. It looks like a High School term paper someone changed just enough to say it was different.

And they threw away a Buick nailhead for a SBC?

Public taste? Oh, they will all wet themselves. The car has the same creativity of a modern country music song, professional wrestling, home energy audit, or reality TV; just a mediocre collection of individuality concepts.

Of course, I'm going out to lunch today on 8.20 X 15 wide whites, so I ain't right either.

P.S. If you don't have blackened screws or pop rivets you can use a black felt tip pen to darken the inner window fur strip attachment.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest Rob J

I actually like it, and I usually do not like most Rivy customs. I think it looks bitchin', and I wouldn't mind owning it.

To be a real individualist in the custom cars groups there are certain standards you must adhere to. One common one is the use of a satin black to simulate to unfinished or work in progress look. It identifies you as one who is still creating. When epoxy primer came out it was great because you could have the unfinished look without rust bleeding through old style primer.

I like the looks of the car myself, mainly because it still looks very Rivyish. My issue, and the first entry wondered what the public would think, is that it looks like cars I saw in the '60's that were accessorized from a J. C. Whitney catalog. The Dakota Digital pieces are standard catalog individualist items. Imagine something like a '61 Chrysler instrument cluster. I'd give a thumbs up to that.

The wheels are garden variety Donk. How about Pontiac five spoke steel wheels painted black, 14's in front and 15's in the rear with a simple chrome , not stainless, trim ring and a Buick crest on the cap. They are not on the checklist for today's individualist.

A mid '60's T-Bird style interior would be interesting if it was wrapped into a shortened package tray and the console extended.

Would anyone be brave enough to swap a late '60's Ford fastback roof?

It is supposed to be a custom, be original and think outside the supermarket magazine rack. And a Chevy engine?

Maybe I'm just not your stereotypical individualist.

Bernie

Guest Steeleco

My 2 cents, don't like the satin finish (guess I don't have enough urban funk in me). The low profile tires may affect the ride (bumpy?), but I do like the interior. The digital gauges give me something interesting to look at. Kind of finishes it off nice.

The driver's seat is a good example of a power seat in a standard interior car.

If you don't build your custom car just like the other guy's custom car, you're not part of the club. It has to have billet, digital, LED's, big wheels and short tires, and it has to get a shave. (Makes you wonder if the custom car builders know anything different.)

It's kind of like making sure your belly button is like everyone else's. Can't be different, someone might talk. It reminds me of the way kids in middle school dress - not one individual amongst them. When I wear one of my pairs of saddle shoes to school, you'd think there was an alien invaision occurring.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

UPON FURTHER REVIEW!! I kinda like the car. The wheels absolutely kill the look for me. Try to imagine that car with a decent set of rims. Deep gloss black. And actually bright bright work. It would be badass. The fact that it has an LS motor is cool too. If the nailhead gave up in my car. I wouldn't think twice about putting an LS with overdrive in it. Can you imagine 25+ mpg on the freeway.

Guest REX STALLION

It looks like someone went a shopping in the back pages of Street Rodder magazine, at least they didn`t chop it.

I went to the auction on Friday and saw this car. It was fairly well done, if you like the look. I do not care for it. The owner was there. I spoke to him for a short time. He said he was selling it because he was tired of it.

I could not stay for the bidding. Online it says that the bid went up to $45,000 and it did not sell. I am shocked. The seller must have paid a fortune for it and now is trying to at least not lose money on it. I guess, if the car were at the right venue (where people wanted that look) it could fetch that kind of money. Wow.

• 9 months later...

I wish mine was in that good of shape. That being said, i am going to take mine a different direction. I definitely like the flat black look, but more for ease of use than any custom look in general. The $169 paint job article in car craft or hot rod(can't remember which) looked pretty damn good. I am not a big fan of the lowered/bagged look. I think they looked fine with a normal stance. The interior is pretty nice for sure, but like someone had said, if you're going to customize it, why use off the shelf stuff and so forth. I saw someone that had peeled the wood trim off and used something to turn the aluminum backing into a brushed look. That was pretty neat. As for the motor, well it's personal preference i'm sure, but why not use the motor it came with? I realize not a lot of people work on nailheads any more, but even when mine dies i will more than likely rebuild it and try to keep it going.

All in all still a nice looking car, just not exactly what i would do if i had that kind of cash to shell out. Kind of sad that it didn't sell, but at least that lets us know where we are with values if you go that direction.

I looked at the car with an open mind. well, you know, kinda of. The striking thing to me was how little the original design was changed. At least Bill Mitchell chopped to to on his. Look at the last picture. It looks like a High School term paper someone changed just enough to say it was different.

And they threw away a Buick nailhead for a SBC?

Public taste? Oh, they will all wet themselves. The car has the same creativity of a modern country music song, professional wrestling, home energy audit, or reality TV; just a mediocre collection of individuality concepts.

Bernie

Agree---Very eloquently stated!

Hard to tell from just five pix, but one's personal tastes aside, I really respect the high level of craftsmanship and clean design that goes into many of these customizations. Regarding matte paint, I see more and more new BMWs and Porsches out here in San Diego with matte finishes in all colors. When I was with DaimlerChrysler in the 1990s-2000s, we fielded a concept car in matte silver, and it got a pretty poor public reception. But times change, and so do tastes.

Guest lowered65

I am a little partial to the overall look of this car:cool: I love the look at first glance, looks mean as hell but in saying that I don't like wheels, don't agree with the choice of engine, and probably could've done with less brushed aluminum on the interior.