'53 key question

53buickconvert

Still working on my '53 Roadmaster which I don't have any keys for. Then comes the '53 Super parts car. My question is if I use the ignition switch, door locks, trunk and glove box locks from the parts car, is it one key that operates all these? I have the trunk lock out and undamaged with the number but didn't know if once I get the key if it would work all the locks.

Thanks,

Tim

Interesting. My Buick has one key for all - ingnition, glovebox, doors, trunk. All of it is orignal - 21K miles, have not changed any of them out. Anybody else out there? It does have two keys, hex and round, but both the same key cut. Wonder if it was to be able to delineate or split keys between different users of the vehicles?

Pretty much any other GM car I've had, used a hex shaped ignition key and round for the locks, but not this one.

Interesting key story. Years ago my Dad(Lockheed mech in the 50's-60's) gave me his Kennedy 520 tool chest. In it was a GM key to his 59 Chevy. If he ever lock the keys in the car, he could go back into the hangar for the spare.

That key starts my Buick!

I'm not sure what was original in 53, but it makes sense that there would be two keys. Think valet parking (sure, not as prevalent in rural areas in the 50's ;) ) But I like the fact that all of my cars have just one key. A hot rodder friend of mine has one key for all of his cars.

Well, I went to the local locksmith this morning with the trunk lock in hand. He was able to make a key for it in a matter of minutes ( and $37). I then went over to where I have the parts car stored to see which locks it would fit.

Turns out the new key fit all, the ignition, glove box and both doors.:cool:

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Tim

......Turns out the new key fit all, the ignition, glove box and both doors.:cool:......Tim

What you found out confirms what a glove box-size 1953 BUICK SKYLARK OWNER'S MANUAL says. Note the hex key in the second pic. It would be interesting to know what other years, besides 1953, Buick Owner's Manuals show.

post-41556-143141762296_thumb.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

post-41556-143141762286_thumb.jpg

1955 Owner's Manual

1955 Buick Owners Manual

[TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=width: 50%]Identical keys operate all the locks on your <nobr>Buick</nobr>. Remove the "Knock-out" number and keep it in a safe place, to be used if your keys are lost or mislaid and duplicates are required. To lock the ignition, turn the key to "lock"; to shut off the ignition but still leave it operative with the key removed, turn the key to "off". The car may then be operated yet the privacy of the glove and trunk compartments retained.[/TD]

[TD=width: 50%]KeyAndLock.jpg[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Lock the Ignition and the doors of your car when leaving it unattended. Over 75% of the vehicles stolen have been left either with the key in the ignition lock or unlocked.

Edited by bhambulldog (see edit history)