Guest Graham Clayton

Guest Graham Clayton

The United States wasn't the only country in the late 60's and early 70's to have muscle cars - Australia had a few as well!

1969 Chrysler Valiant VG Pacer

post-88629-143141736381_thumb.jpg

1970 Holden HG Monaro GTS 350

post-88629-143141736379_thumb.jpg

1971 Chrysler Valiant E49 Charger

post-88629-143141736366_thumb.jpg

1971 Ford Falcon XY GTHO Phase III

post-88629-143141736377_thumb.jpg

1972 Ford Falcon XA GT Hardtop

post-88629-143141736382_thumb.jpg

1972 Holden HQ Monaro GTS 350

post-88629-143141736383_thumb.jpg

All very rare and now worth a lot of money!

When word of the later Holden Monaro hot rod coupe (with the Lingenfelter Chevy engine in it) first surfaced in the US, I did some searches of GM-Australia and also Ford-Australia. I was highly surprised to see some combinations which would be totally laughed at in the USA. For example, a "Falcon" 4-dr sedan with a 5-speed manual transmission and a "BOSS" V-8 motor, possibly even a "Mach I" performance variation, too! The "nostalgia" names of iconic '70s-era USA factory hot rods was surprising to see.

From what I've seen, the "big blocks" never made it down-under, for various reasons. But high-output small block V-8s and inline 6-cylinders were more of the operataive powerplants of choice. You can read about the Australian 6-cylinder at www.allpar.com, for example. GM-Oz used Nissan 6 cylinders up until about 1987, when they started using the Buick 3800 (balance shaft) V-6 to replace it--something the people at Flint Powertrain were quite proud of. Remember "Mad Max" with the small Ford with the a/c clutch-driven supercharger?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

When word of the later Holden Monaro hot rod coupe (with the Lingenfelter Chevy engine in it) first surfaced in the US, I did some searches of GM-Australia and also Ford-Australia. I was highly surprised to see some combinations which would be totally laughed at in the USA. For example, a "Falcon" 4-dr sedan with a 5-speed manual transmission and a "BOSS" V-8 motor, possibly even a "Mach I" performance variation, too! The "nostalgia" names of iconic '70s-era USA factory hot rods was surprising to see.

From what I've seen, the "big blocks" never made it down-under, for various reasons. But high-output small block V-8s and inline 6-cylinders were more of the operataive powerplants of choice. You can read about the Australian 6-cylinder at www.allpar.com, for example. GM-Oz used Nissan 6 cylinders up until about 1987, when they started using the Buick 3800 (balance shaft) V-6 to replace it--something the people at Flint Powertrain were quite proud of. Remember "Mad Max" with the small Ford with the a/c clutch-driven supercharger?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

One of my favorite parts of the movie is where he energizes the the S/C and catches up to the bad guy.

post-77797-14314173759_thumb.jpg

Guest Graham Clayton
Other than the obvious ones (350), what displacement and HP did these cars have? If they were expensive then, they probably have a high survival rate...unless AUS had the oil embargo like the US which saw a lot of big blocks go to the scrapper!

72caddy,

Valiant VG Pacer 4 litre 250ci Hemi 6 - 235 bhp factory price $3229

HG Monaro GTS 350 - 350ci V8 - 300 bhp factory prize $3995

Valiant E49 - 265ci Hemi with 302 bhp factory price $4300

GHTO Phase III - 351ci Cleveland V8 - 350-380bhp (300bhp officially quoted) factory price $5300

XA GT Hardtop - 351ci Cleveland V8 - 300 bhp factory price $4955

HQ Monaro GTS 350 - 350ci V8 - 275 bhp - factory price $4,635

Edited by Graham Clayton
typo errors (see edit history)

[quote=NTX5467; for example. GM-Oz used Nissan 6 cylinders up until about 1987

NTX5467

That suggestion will cause some indignation with both the parent company - GM USA as well as GMH ( General Motors Holden )!! and probably some fiery responses from the Holden crowd!!

Our Commodores only had them there Nissan motors in them for 1 year only, VL.

Most of us GMH Commodore fans have been desperately trying to forget that little bit of infamy for 25 years.

Thanks for dragging up horrible old memories. Now I have to go and have a scotch to settle down. :) :) (maybe 2)

Danny

Hey guys, there was a couple of Australian gents over here visiting a friend last week, and one of them has a blue 32 Ford with a Mopar 318 that we refer to as a polysphere head engine. He brought one of your countries hot rod type books with him, and I noticed other cars in it with the same engine. Are these a popular one to go to and how long did Chrysler keep making them over there ? Seems like they were replaced in the U.S. in the early or mid 60's. Neat looking engines, and the magazine was full of some fabulous looking cars. (by the way, I've always thought I "needed" one of the 351 Cleveland Falcons, ha !) John

Not 100% sure, but I think Chrysler V8's engines were all imported into Australia.

The 225 ci slant 6 & 215-245-265 ci Hemi inline 6 were all made here.

In Australia Chrysler sold out to Mitsubishi about 1982?: - the sad end of Chrysler manufacture in Australia

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest Al Brass

There was an article in the paper here recently that stated the Holden ute would be released in USA as an El Camino in 2014. A friend's wife has a Ponty G8 and he would buy a ute in a heartbeat. I am not sure why there is so much delay in releasing them. I am aware there is a new model coming in '14 so it may be they are waiting so that there are less inventory problems etc.

Al