All time great model names

Guest 2fit661ca

Country Club, Royal Lancer, Adventurer, Fireflight, Firedome, Firesweep. Sportsman, Skyliner/Sunliner Premiere,Tunrpike Crusier, Montclairs, Metalist.................the list goes on.

Caravan is also a very unique name same as Town & Country.

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

Banshee, Another car that GM corporate wouldn't let Pontiac build. Here is the 1964 edition...can you see Firebird in this car? ; .jpg'>http://www.imagesnet.net/data/media/70/1964%20Pontiac%20Banshee%20XP-833%20(B).jpg

Here is another Banshee by Douglass that we know by another name as a SDB Dauntless;http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-K8eFzlAyYE8/T22edS2GR7I/AAAAAAAAKPg/OImA4mJp3Es/s1600/A-24B-10-DT+Banshee+5.jpg

Or it's later counterpart;http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyyS-da_gn467vGW_M5juFOoKShEGfAMYYtq_3c5amPb-Q6Qn3NA

How about Land Rover, Range Rover and Discovery. I also like the sound of Daimler Dart. Triumph GT6. Triumph Stag. Triumph Vitesse. Austin Princess Vanden Plas.

asset.php?fid=123481&uid=78869&d=1340432222

Picture of 1973 Triumph GT6. MK 3 (my car for 30 years)

Surprised you didn't mention Rolls Royce because of where you live!

How about Land Rover, Range Rover and Discovery. I also like the sound of Daimler Dart. Triumph GT6. Triumph Stag. Triumph Vitesse. Austin Princess Vanden Plas.

I am a devoted British car fan, especially Triumphs of which I currently own 2 TR6s. However Austin Princess has to be the worst name in history for a car. Not only is excessively effeminate, but it really isn't appropriate for the kind of car it is. When I hear "Princess", I picture a gutless pink Mustang-like car with too many accessories, not this:

Austin_Princess_2200HL.jpg

or this:

post-30638-143139177668_thumb.jpg

post-30638-14313917767_thumb.jpg

I am a devoted British car fan, especially Triumphs of which I currently own 2 TR6s. However Austin Princess has to be the worst name in history for a car. Not only is excessively effeminate, but it really isn't appropriate for the kind of car it is. When I hear "Princess", I picture a gutless pink Mustang-like car with too many accessories, not this:

Dave Haven't you forgot the Datsun/Nissan car called Cedric, Bluebird, Sunny, & Oh I'm going to take my Fairlady to the track today...Say what??? Or... I'm taking my new hot date ( Linda ) out tonight and I think I'll drive the Silvia to impress her. Or... Honey, you stay home with the boys and I'll take my Cherry for a ride.

I'll take my Premier to the Premier. How about... Gloria will you get out of my Gloria I want you to get my Bluebird.

I think I may have stumbled into a cultural morass. Austin carefully chose the "Princess" name with consideration of the upper class market at which it was originally aimed. The "wedge" model which you show from the 1970's was a cheap degradation of the original concept which in it's final "Pinin Farina" design was a collaboration with Rolls Royce and the inclusion of their 4 litre engine. There were also a 'badge engineered' Austin 1100 and 1300 Princess vanden Plas models which were quite attractive but they were superceded by an "allegro" version - dubbed the flying pig!

I can imagine what comments would arise if there had been an Austin Queen!

I think I may have stumbled into a cultural morass. Austin carefully chose the "Princess" name with consideration of the upper class market at which it was originally aimed. The "wedge" model which you show from the 1970's was a cheap degradation of the original concept which in it's final "Pinin Farina" design was a collaboration with Rolls Royce and the inclusion of their 4 litre engine. There were also a 'badge engineered' Austin 1100 and 1300 Princess vanden Plas models which were quite attractive but they were superceded by an "allegro" version - dubbed the flying pig!

I can imagine what comments would arise if there had been an Austin Queen!

I agree, and when it come to Loco's LMS had one of my favorites " The Princess Coronation" seems to fit with no problem in England. Such a beauty; http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/6229_Duchess_of_Hamilton_at_the_National_Railway_Museum.jpg/800px-6229_Duchess_of_Hamilton_at_the_National_Railway_Museum.jpg

I think I may have stumbled into a cultural morass. Austin carefully chose the "Princess" name with consideration of the upper class market at which it was originally aimed.

Yes, that's understandable. However try and picture a Mercedes Princess, BMW Princess, Imperial Princess, Packard Princess, or a Tatra Princess...all makes contemporary and competitive with the high-end Austin. "Princess" may be upper class, but it implies both an effeminate and subservient nature. They were great cars, but I do think the name helped to hold them back in many markets, especially here.

This is an important point. The Japanese companies, that succeeded here to an embarrassing degree, recognized this kind of problem in the U.S. market before ever selling car 1 while not even speaking the language. All of the questionable names helfen points out for Japanese cars were never employed here. For instance instead of Cedric, Bluebird, Sunny, and Fairlady models..., we got Infinity Q45, Datsun 510/610/810, Datsun 1200/B21/210, and Datsun 240Z/260Z/280Z models respectively. BMC somehow did not see that problem coming. Granted that model names were the least of their troubles a few years after the Princess was introduced, but that name did not help over here.

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

I had a gold '66 Mercury Maurader 'vert with 390/4 spd for a while until 2nd gear blew. S55 ?

For some reason the OctoAuto has stayed with me ever since I saw a picture in a Clymer book (prolly still around here somewhere)

Maybe we need a new thread for my favorite though: cars with names longer than the car.

Fiat-Abarth Scorpione Allemano 850 coupe S

ps the scooter in my sig is a Honda "Spacy".

Yes, that's understandable. However try and picture a Mercedes Princess, BMW Princess, Imperial Princess, Packard Princess, or a Tatra Princess...all makes contemporary and competitive with the high-end Austin. "Princess" may be upper class, but it implies both an effeminate and subservient nature. They were great cars, but I do think the name helped to hold them back in many markets, especially here.

This is an important point. The Japanese companies, that succeeded here to an embarrassing degree, recognized this kind of problem in the U.S. market before ever selling car 1 while not even speaking the language. All of the questionable names helfen points out for Japanese cars were never employed here. For instance instead of Cedric, Bluebird, Sunny, and Fairlady models..., we got Infinity Q45, Datsun 510/610/810, Datsun 1200/B21/210, and Datsun 240Z/260Z/280Z models respectively. BMC somehow did not see that problem coming. Granted that model names were the least of their troubles a few years after the Princess was introduced, but that name did not help over here.

Never say never Dave. When the Z car first came here it was the Fairlady Z, it wasn't until Mr Katayama himself and a team went down to the port and re-badged the cars against company policy. In the Japanese world Mr K. had a reputation like Bunkie Knudsen, or John DeLorean.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Prior to 1940 some real classics were made. This is just a partial list of some that I have seen.

A few from Cadillac;

Dual cowl Phaeton, Delux Sport Phaeton, V-16, Brougham, Imperial Landaulette, Fleetwood,

Others;

Curved dash Olds, Olds "Autocrat", Auburn "Boat-tail speedster", Duesenberg "Model J", Mercer "raceabout", Stutz "bearcat", Packard "Dietrich bodied", Pierce-Arrow, Cord 810, etc...............

Just a few real old models. This is a fun thread. The list is endless.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is any brass car with the cutout open, that I'm using to give kids rides.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

The name was originally given to an aero engined chassis with a sporting body created by the aformentioned Count in England. What you call "brass cars" in the States, we know as "Edwardians" - a reference to the King of England at the time.

Just horses for courses.

How about long winded names, but without a single word? Mazda RX7 GSL SE -- 11 syllables, no meaning! :rolleyes:
This is cut and pasted from the Mazda website

The company's name, "Mazda," derives from Ahura Mazda, a god of the earliest civilizations in West Asia. We have interpreted Ahura Mazda, the god of wisdom, intelligence and harmony, as the symbol of the origin of both Eastern and Western civilizations, and also as a symbol of automobile culture. It incorporates a desire to achieve world peace and the development of the automobile manufacturing industry. It also derives from the name of our founder, Jujiro Matsuda.

Mazda is a word.

58's Mazda answer above also reminded me of havng read the origin of the Toyota name "Yaris" a couple of years ago. I don't remember the original source, but this is what I found on a Yahoo Answers page, and it sounds about like what I remember having read:

-----

Okay, while I could (and did) take an honest guess at this question, I'm never one to just be satisfied if I don't know the answer absolutely for sure, so I asked Toyota exactly where they got the name "Yaris" from, and this is what their spokesperson wrote back to me, word for word:

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize for your concern regarding the meaning of "Yaris."

That is a great question! The background on the Yaris name is actually really interesting. It stems from a goddess in Greek mythology, named CHARIS, who was a symbol of beauty and elegance. We put that together with the German expression of agreement, YA. We think the name symbolizes the car’s broad appeal in styling and really represents Toyota’s next generation of global cars.

Thank you again for your interest!"

So, there you have it straight from the mouths of the creators of the name. That's what the word Yaris means!

-----

A little bit of editorial license there in using a "Y" rather than a "J" as would be more a accurate reference for the German word--but phonetic concerns obviously prevailed...

This is cut and pasted from the Mazda website

The company's name, "Mazda," derives from Ahura Mazda, a god of the earliest civilizations in West Asia. We have interpreted Ahura Mazda, the god of wisdom, intelligence and harmony, as the symbol of the origin of both Eastern and Western civilizations, and also as a symbol of automobile culture. It incorporates a desire to achieve world peace and the development of the automobile manufacturing industry. It also derives from the name of our founder, Jujiro Matsuda.

Mazda is a word.

I always wondered: is the name Mazda as used for the early GE light bulbs the same as the name of the car?