STP Oil Treatment, Did I Buy The Right Stuff?

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

It was suggested to me to add some STP to my transmission to slow a leak. I bought the bottles pictured. One is the standard oil treatment, the other is a high mileage version. Neither one says anything about transmissions though. Did I buy the right stuff? Which one should I use?

post-75106-143139130789_thumb.jpg

I use Wiggley's Chewing Gum (Spearmint) as it seems to work well as a topical pack applied generously around the leaking areas. One must clean the surfaces off first with Citrus cleaner and then use a blow dryer to dry the areas throughly before applying the gum. Then apply an ice pack over the work area to set the gum in place and make it hard like the gum under your seat right now.

I use Wiggley's Chewing Gum (Spearmint) as it seems to work well as a topical pack applied generously around the leaking areas. One must clean the surfaces off first with Citrus cleaner and then use a blow dryer to dry the areas throughly before applying the gum. Then apply an ice pack over the work area to set the gum in place and make it hard like the gum under your seat right now.

HUH??

Ben

HUH??

Ben

yea, HUH? I personally have found Wriggley's Big Red works better.

Guest chevy_dude97

key words "temporary fix"

adding higher weight oil can increase pressures and restrict flow in vane pumps.

have I heard of this fix? Yes. Will it work? most likely will slow a seep, but not a flow. Also consider a rebuild very shortly along.

And as a reply to the above posts regarding chewing gum. I suggest having a small tube of "pig putty" in your glove box instead of chewing gum.

The pig putty you can apply to a wet surface and in most cases would be considered more of a permanent repair, or at the least a sure seal till your next higher assembly repair.

Edited by chevy_dude97 (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77
key words "temporary fix"

Exactly. There's just no way I can afford to get the trans re-built any time soon. So this is an attempt at slowing the problem so I can finish out the summer driving the car on the weekends. A band-aid if you will. I'm usually not a proponent of such "band-aid" fixes but when you just don't have the cash to throw at the problem you gotta' do something.

Guest wildcat465

I recommend Lucas Trans Fix P/N 10009. Swells seals to slow leaks. Don't believe the "Stops Slip" claim on the bottle in a Dynaflow. :rolleyes:

Caution: Does not smell as good as Big Red or Spearmint. Doesn't taste as good either.

Guest shadetree77
Did you try tightening the pump cover bolts?

Not yet Aaron. We're going to try that on Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Just remember, WHAT EVER YOU DO, YOU DIDN'T DO THAT, SOMEONE ELSE DID THAT, don't forget that either my friend. lol.

If you use ABC gum, (ALREADY BEEN CHEWED), then that is PROOF YOU DIDN'T DO THAT BY ALL BY YOURSELF.

If you go to the theater tonight, you might get lucky and find some soft gum under your seat, such would save you some cash.

Just my TIP OF THE DAY,

Dale in Indy

Guest shadetree77
Did you call Buster? Like I told ya, he's 76 and has been rebuilding Dynaflows since 1955. I wouldn't wait too long to call him.

Not yet. We're going to try tightening those pump cover bolts today. Probably an exercise in futility but gotta' try it anyway. Then we're going to formulate a plan of attack as to how and when we're going to be able to get that trans. out of there. Got to make sure we have all the right tools and such. Makes it much harder when you're working outside under a shade tree with limited tools you know? I'll probably call him next week sometime. Need to try and get an idea of when he'd be able to work on it and a rough estimate on the price so I can know how much cash to snatch from the liquor store.;):D On a serious note though, the leak is getting worse and I can't keep driving it like that. I'd much rather stop driving her now and save myself from having to buy a whole new Dynaflow rather than just getting this one rebuilt. Ahhhh well, at least I got to drive her a little bit.....:(.

Guest chevy_dude97
Makes it much harder when you're working outside under a shade tree with limited tools you know? :(.

A real shade tree mechanic places an old bath tub under his shade tree for tranny rebuilds.... lol

Good call on the wait for a fix, you probably will find less broken "hard parts" when you pull her apart.

If it wasn't soo much shipping to/from the island or you where within driving, I'd help rebuild her.

Like my Grandapa always said "If you don't have the tools to fix it. You pay someone who does to fix it."

Not yet. We're going to try tightening those pump cover bolts today. Probably an exercise in futility but gotta' try it anyway. Then we're going to formulate a plan of attack as to how and when we're going to be able to get that trans. out of there. Got to make sure we have all the right tools and such. Makes it much harder when you're working outside under a shade tree with limited tools you know? I'll probably call him next week sometime. Need to try and get an idea of when he'd be able to work on it and a rough estimate on the price so I can know how much cash to snatch from the liquor store.;):D On a serious note though, the leak is getting worse and I can't keep driving it like that. I'd much rather stop driving her now and save myself from having to buy a whole new Dynaflow rather than just getting this one rebuilt. Ahhhh well, at least I got to drive her a little bit.....:(.

Robert, the Buicks of the era need a few screwdrivers and wrenches to to the job :) I posted in your other thread. If she is not slipping and shifting fine is it necessary to rebuild the entire transmission? Remove the transmission and replace the offending seal. Reinstall. I don't recommend the transmission stop leaks and anti slippage chemicals. I have seen these cause more problems than cure.

Guest shadetree77

Robert, the Buicks of the era need a few screwdrivers and wrenches to to the job :) I posted in your other thread. If she is not slipping and shifting fine is it necessary to rebuild the entire transmission? Remove the transmission and replace the offending seal. Reinstall. I don't recommend the transmission stop leaks and anti slippage chemicals. I have seen these cause more problems than cure.

True enough Chris. I have plenty of screwdrivers and wrenches. However, I was referring more to the need of a second jack for the transmission and a set of 4 heavy duty jack stands. I have 2 smaller ones now but I want to buy 4 bigger ones to do this job. I think I've almost got my wife talked into slicing me off a little bit of her school loan money that she gets this month. Looks like a trip to Harbor Freight is in order soon. By the way, the transmission was behaving itself completely. No loss of power or "slippage" at all. The only thing I noticed that was a little strange was that going down the open road if I gave it a little more gas to get up a particularly steep hill or just to gain some more speed, the trans. made sort of a groaning or howling sound. Low pitch, kind of quiet. Hard to even notice if you don't pay attention. And that's ONLY at cruising speed.

As for re-building it, I haven't decided which way to go yet. In a way, I want to go ahead and get it done so I don't have to take it out again when something else fails. The other seals inside the trans. are 60 years old too and who knows when something else is going to break loose? But then, I also don't know when or if I can come up with the money to do a complete re-build. It's likely I may be able to replace a simple seal on the converter/pump and stick it back in there. That would be the quickest, cheapest, and definitely easiest way to go. :confused: Guess I've got some decisions to make.

In the meantime, we checked the pump cover bolts today. All were tight except one. One of the bolts was REALLY loose. Like, about to fall off loose. We torqued it to spec. hoping upon hope that the leak would be cured but.....no dice. We started it up and ran it for about 5-8 mins. I took some video of the leak. You can really see it good at about 0:40 in the video. Looks like Lucy is down for the count. I can't bring myself to drive her like that.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fNnVEzanICM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="400" width="500"></iframe>

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Guest chevy_dude97

I took some video of the leak. You can really see it good at about 0:40 in the video. Looks like Lucy is down for the count. I can't bring myself to drive her like that.

Yeah, I'm 100% certain STP would not work. That would be an expensive drive... whats trans fluid run about 20 bucks a gallon? And looking at the video the trans is using more fluid than carb is fuel. Look at the bright side at least you can say you did a trans flush... :)

Yep, she is leaking good. And that sucks. I have not been into one of these dynaflows. If it is similar to today's transmissions, the seal between the convertor and transmission housing is leaking. I'm still of mind to dropping the trans a replacing the seal. Reinstalling. I can understand your reasoning with the other seals. Replace all the other outer seals that are replaceable. She pulls good and acts right. Just a nasty leak. I would go after the leak for now. :)

I agree with Chris. Pull it and replace all seals and gaskets that do not require opening it up. And pulling the rear end out so the Dynaflow can be dropped is not too bad. I have had mine out twice . Once to replace torque ball parts and second time to change gear set. And I am an old fart working alone!!

I bought the less expensive, non hydraulic tranny jack from H F. Wish I had payed the extra for the hydraulic.

Good luck.

Ben

Disclaimer Note: For the purposes of this video we did not use a pan to catch the fluid as the director felt that by using anything other than the concrete such as a pan, would take away from needed "drama" necessary for this take. - "The orphan bell housing, crying big red tears, streaming as they will down onto the cold concrete, as the camera slowly fades the scene from our view.

But on an upper note, one could attach a sump pan wit a pump and direct back into the fill tube. Kinda self recycling.

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

Tha's funny

There use to be a link on some Buick site that said "Click here for instructions on how to end Dynaflow leaks" When you clicked on it, your computer screen would start turning Dexron II red from the bottom up. Then the words would appear "YOU DON'T"

Does anybody else remember that or was it a dream?