Reatta cupholders

Bushwack

Ervin,

I like it! Is that one of yours? If so, could you pass along what you used for the cup holder inserts? I had considered something like that but hadn't done it yet for lack of time to experiment. Of course, it precludes opening the console when the cup holders are in use, but that is a small gripe. Very small in fact, compared to having no place to put a drink in the car. I think I need to get a couple of spare arm rests to have a go at this.

KDirk

Not mine Kevin. But I'm thinking of buying the car just for the cup holders :). Exchange the armrest with another tan interior and flip the car. But if it isn't a rust free Reatta, fahgettaboutit!! :)

Seriously, if someone has the means to do this, I'd be his/her first, second and third customer. It's a terrific set-up.

P.S. In judging, how many points would get deducted for such ingenuity?

Not mine Kevin. But I'm thinking of buying the car just for the cup holders :). Exchange the armrest with another tan interior and flip the car. But if it isn't a rust free Reatta, fahgettaboutit!! :)

Seriously, if someone has the means to do this, I'd be his/her first, second and third customer. It's a terrific set-up.

P.S. In judging, how many points would get deducted for such ingenuity?

None for ingenuity. Most likely one or two for authenticity.

Ok,

I have been brainstorming this since earlier today when I first saw the post. And I may have an idea to improve on it. Rather than mod the armrest to have cupholders exposed at all times, what about fabricating an inset with the cup holder that sits about 3/8" to 1/2" below the finished part of the upholstery. New armrest upholstery would need to be made for this of course, so the edge around the inset would be appropriately finished. Then make a second piece that fits snugly within the inset, and has padding and matching upholstery to cover the cup holder opening when you just want the armrest, and want a more finished look. Perhaps a concealed magnetic catch to be sure it didn't pop out unexpectedly.

This is not ideal, as the extra piece would have to be stowed in the console or in one of the rear stowage bins, but would at least provide a way to provide a continuous padded armrest when needed. Of course, it would still have points deducted for not being original when being judged, but one needs to consider what is important to them: convenience of a real cup holder (or two) or factory original authenticity for 400 pt. judging.

Since my cars would already get dinged for non-stock wheels, aftermarket audio gear and some other minor mods that suit my needs, I am not worried about the judging angle. YMMV. Need to come up with a similar fix for the 88, should not be too difficult as the premise will be the same. Ervin, if I decide to go ahead and do what I outlined above, or just do the setup you posted the picture of, I will let you know.

KDirk

Guest RaverReatta

I think there's some good spots on the door that could be added to, putting them on the console looks pretty cool, but I'm not a big fan of the location.

I currently have a '91 Riv console lid w/cupholder in my '90 - as garnet red was still available in the Riv in '91 and '92. (In '93 they switched to ruby red - which is a bit 'more purple' than garnet.) If I ever enter the car in a BCA 400 point judging, it is 4 screws to swap back to the original.

It might be worthwhile to buy a trashed Riv/Reatta lid to experiment with. Then once satisfied, have an auto upholstery shop redo the lid. I had the lid in my 944 recovered a few years ago, after I stupidly punctured the vinyl with a key. The shop used a scrap piece of leather, and only charged me about $75. But it is a bit smaller than the Reatta lid, and didn't require stitching multiple pieces together.

Mine is on with vecro on the ashtray in the 88, 90s have 91 armrests. What would be nice is about a 3/8" spacer with dual cupholders that simply uses the four screws at the hinge to fasten between the lid and the body, no mod required.

Here's what I use sitting on the console top when in use, easily handles the 52oz cup size I'm partial to. It has a non-skid base I just place a finger on the top during hard cornering and stow it in the rear shelf compartment when not in use. It's called The Octopus Cup Holder and it's really inexpensive.

Octopus-Drink-Holder-1EYX5_AS01.jpg