What would this cost?

Guest usmcclark

Guest usmcclark

well in prestine condition, i have one but far from good condition, just kinda lookin for a ball park of what its potential would be worth.

photos are up if anyone wants to take a look at them

Hello and welcome. :)

For the folks here to see the photos you either have to post them here or post a link to them if they are posted on another site.

Once that is done I am sure that someone here can help.

Less than a thousand, in my opinion. You may want to consider the cost of replating all of that chrome too.

Taking that into consideration, you could still make a decent driver out of it by just painting the chrome. I've driven cars that have looked worse. Anything beats walking.:)

Wayne

Guest usmcclark

there really isnt that much chrome, just the front and rear bumper, i was mainly curious about what the value would be new, i cant find any price guides that go pre '46

The NADA old car price guide comes up with a low number, excellent conditon restored less than $12,000. That sounds low, but in any case probably not worth much more than $15K-18K restored.

The two bumpers and grill would probably cost you $3000 or more to chrome plate.

As it sits, I think I agree with Wayne that $1000 might be tops. 1942 is an interesting year, however, in that they quit making cars fairly early, with the onset of WWII.

Guest usmcclark

ive done a bit of research and still find it hard to believe that the car would only be worth that much restored, they ended the prodution of civilian cars in feb of 42. so there was only a month and a half of cars made for the civilian people that year. does any one know how to decode the old vin numbers on these cars?

only 14,421 torpedo eights with the straight inline 8 were made that year.

Just because you think it's rare certainly doesn't make it valuable. 14,000 of anything takes it out of the rare category.

Just remember one thing. The only one that typically benefits from a restoration is the next owner.

Guest usmcclark

ok guess ill just have a car to play with then, still would like to know what the vin on it means though

Nothing personal, but you say you have RESEARCHED, then maybe you can tell us what it's worth. You have the advantage of seeing and inspecting the car,and doing the RESEARCH work..

What do you feel it's worth in the present condition? Unless you will be doing the major portion of the restore then in my opinion you will be upside down very fast. I can't see it ever being a desired car, IMO.

It's your call.

Dale in Indy

Guest usmcclark

i have the car, as of right now, im just waiting to get the $$$ to start, never realized how expensive it was to do some of the things im plannin on doing. and as soon as i get the serial plate copied down i will post it, thank you.