Buick Restores vs., Self-Proclaimed Experts

Mudbone

In defense of the aftermarket parts manufactures, they are providing parts that you can no longer find in N.O.S, and are of a low volume nature. I am glad they are out there producing these parts or we would be paying big bucks for custom made parts that would make restorations financially impossible for some of us. Some suppliers are better than others. But it is frustrating trying to find the best stuff that is as close to correct as you can. So a little venting is in order. I am not directing this at any one person or supplier but venting the frustration of all the Buick restorers out there. In fact by doing this video it has become funny as how they defend their products. It just seams like it wouldn't cost much more to get it right. :D Mud

(This is for entertainment purposes only. I hope you have a good laugh)

Oooh Man.......That is funny. :D Worst part is I can relate to specific parts of the conversation in a similar experience. :confused:

I'm guessing whoever did that spoof must have had that experience since it was so detailed.

My daughter lives near Boston and I missed a trip to see her and the Buick Nationals last year because of the rattling and banging around of a POC exhaust system. Pipes poorly bent and the muffler wasn't even quiet. $600 of "the experts" pipes are behind my nephew's garage in the tin pile.

There was no way I could drive 6 hours and listen to it.

Bernie

HAW HAW HAW. Now that there's funny I don't care who you are. The flip side is the sad truth of it. Most, not all, repro vendors belong to the "screw em, close enough", school of thought.............Bob

NEAT ANIMATION!!!

"Of course, they (the low compression pistons) will work perfectly in your engine. Then you can drive the car all over the world and not worry about gasoline octane again! That's the way all aftermarket replacement pistons are these days. The pistons I sent you are what my catalog says fits your engine."

"I want the correct compresssion ratio pistons for my engine. I want the same blend of power and economy it had when new, NOT something different. That's why I sent you one of the original pistons from my engine. Can I please have my original piston back?"

"If the piston you sent to match had 'Buick' and a Buick casting number on it, but they are certainly 'aftermarket" pistons, they MUST be counterfeit knock-offs of the originals. It had some rough casting edges which the factory pistons would not have, indicating a much poorer alloy and production process was used. Perhaps they put 'BUICK' on the inside of the piston skirt so they could identify it as a Buick piston?"

----------------

Several decades ago (yikes! has it been THAT long???), I was looking for some GMC 228 pistons. A local Studebaker parts/service operative said he had some at his shop. I stopped by one day after work. He went "behind the quilt" and returned with some old boxes with "GMC" on the side of them. Although I said I needed a set, he only had a few, each different from the other. One piston had "236" on the side, which would be for the larger engine. I said "I don't think that one will fit the bore in my engine". His reply was something like "You can file it down to fit." I proceeded to look at the other pistons he'd brought out. None were for the 228 and were of undetermined model years, so I respectfully thanked him for his time and left. I guess if you've got enough time, a sharp file, a good micrometer, AND can determine other things, you might be able to use "the file method" and then hope that it matches the weight of the other pistons?

-------------

Great video, Mudbone! Looks like some other neat Buick videos, too!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest NickySixx

I disagree with this a slight but on the vendor side. Yes, some of it make sense but a lot of times oem replacement parts do not look like the originals. Pistons are a bad example but ball joints are a fantastic one. Some ball joints have washers that work like spacers but some new replacement ones have a larger tapered stud to eliminate the worry of washers. Or the style of the dust boot changed which virtually makes no difference. Another good example is smaller timing chain that still fits the gears. About 75% of re-pop companies are now using smaller timing chains. The structural integrity has increased and so has the efficiency and drag. Now I can't say I completely dis-agree with this video. Piston design is critical when it comes to dome vs flat top pistons and size of the dome, also people that's motor originally flat tops order dome pistons and the vehicle had flat tops and then say they want what was originally on the vehicle can be interesting too. Every motor is different so anyone that says there a master and knows everything is blatantly lieing.

Guest my3buicks

OMG LOVE IT!!!! How many times over the years that exact scenario has played out, just change the part you ordered and replay.

I disagree with this a slight but on the vendor side. Yes, some of it make sense but a lot of times oem replacement parts do not look like the originals. Pistons are a bad example but ball joints are a fantastic one. Some ball joints have washers that work like spacers but some new replacement ones have a larger tapered stud to eliminate the worry of washers. Or the style of the dust boot changed which virtually makes no difference. Another good example is smaller timing chain that still fits the gears. About 75% of re-pop companies are now using smaller timing chains. The structural integrity has increased and so has the efficiency and drag. Now I can't say I completely dis-agree with this video. Piston design is critical when it comes to dome vs flat top pistons and size of the dome, also people that's motor originally flat tops order dome pistons and the vehicle had flat tops and then say they want what was originally on the vehicle can be interesting too. Every motor is different so anyone that says there a master and knows everything is blatantly lieing.

Like I had stated in my original post. I understand that we as restorers are grateful for the aftermarket parts manufactures. They have to make money making these parts therefore when it comes to the small volume, the bean counters win. I just had to have a little fun with it. I am sure the venders could make a video about the restoration guys and it would be just as true. All in fun. Mud