Brand new bias ply tires from the 70's

Guest Chevy249

Guest Chevy249

Well Ive been doing some research and trying to figure some stuff out and I cant find out the information Im looking for so I figured I would come on here. I have a bunch of old 13 and 14 inch bias ply tires that I found that are all brand new and have been stored in a shop for over 40 years and are in awesoe condition with no weatherchecking or anything. A lot of them are still in the packaging. I was just wondering how much they were worth. I have a couple hundred of them.

Chevy249,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I have deleted a few responses in this discussion. There are certainly very different ideas about safety of old tires. There are different opinions of what, if any value that tires of this age may be worth. I suggest you provide more information about the size and brands of the tires that you have so that interested persons can respond to you.

Please feel free to respond to this discussion but keep it civil.

Welcome aboard!

As mentioned, lots of differing orientations. At best, I'd say they could be good show material, but NOT daily driver material . . . even if the tubeless tires had tubes in them. They might look great on the outside, but you can't see the inside and what might have been going on in there for the past decades. Certainly, whatever might be happening in there might have been slowed down, but I highly suspect it has not stopped.

I concur, a list of sizes and brands might be good to see.

Take care,

NTX5467

Tires deteriorate over time. A tire 5 years old, has lost half it strength. Besides the carcass weakening, the rubber gets dried out and mummified.

Someone might want your tires for show especially if they are OEM brands or red stripe or performance tires. If they were the exact same tire installed by the manufacturer of Road Runner, Corvette, Mustang, or other muscle car you could write your own ticket. Restorers will pay big money for the exact part their car came with BUT it has to be exact.

Guest Water Jacket

I agree with Restorer32 above. I don't know anyone with an occasionally driven, carefully stored vintage or Classic car who buys new tires every five years. Please, show us something definitive. Of course tire companies will say something like that. 1, they want to cover their rumps in today's litiginous society. 2, they want to sell tires.

Heat and UV rays destroy tires. If you keep your car covered in a dark, cool garage, it's surely a different story than if you keep your car in a sealed oven, and leave it parked in the sun all day every Sunday at some show or meet.

Beware of blanket statements, generalities.

Guest Jim_Edwards
I would like to see some proof that tires lose half their strength in 5 years.

What's your ship to address, I've got a couple "proofs" I can send you.:D

Seriously, there was a major formula change in synthetic rubber made a few years ago that reduced one major component used in tire manufacturing and tires became not worth a flip afterward. I've tires on vehicles that are approaching 20 years old that look just as good as when they were put on a wheel. I've got tires on other vehicles that are less than five years old that are beginning to look like they could become "May Pops" tomorrow, though having virtually no tread wear or exposure to the elements. Junk! No brand is immune.

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Guest Water Jacket

Absolutely. DOT 5 silicone brake fluid will make your master and wheel cylinders freeze, you "hafta" use antifreeze, multi-weight motor oils will ruin your old engine 'cause it "wasn't designed" for them, you can't run radial tires on old cars.

What, precisely, is the chemical change and please give us the equation and its exact percentage in Bridgestone/Firestone, Michelin, Yokohama and each of the other major tire producers, in each model of their tires, regardless of how they were compounded and for which end use.

Not, "I hear tell" or "I read in the new issue of Restored Jalopy News," but give us the long chain polymeric equation, per above, please.

"May Pops"...haven't heard that phrase in many years. Dad always called tires that developed bubbles under the tread during the recapping process "May Pops". He sold them to farmers as farm trailer tires. Every now and then he would recap a batch of tires for family use using expensive Oliver truck tire recapping rubber. They wore like iron. I may have been the only kid around driving a '55 Jaguar wearing recaps.

I wasn't implying that I didn't believe new tires become junk after 5 years. I just would like to see something more than anecdotal evidence.

Absolutely. DOT 5 silicone brake fluid will make your master and wheel cylinders freeze, you "hafta" use antifreeze, multi-weight motor oils will ruin your old engine 'cause it "wasn't designed" for them, you can't run radial tires on old cars.

What, precisely, is the chemical change and please give us the equation and its exact percentage in Bridgestone/Firestone, Michelin, Yokohama and each of the other major tire producers, in each model of their tires, regardless of how they were compounded and for which end use.

Not, "I hear tell" or "I read in the new issue of Restored Jalopy News," but give us the long chain polymeric equation, per above, please.

And everyone knows that a battery left on concrete will discharge over night.

Guest Chevy249

Everyone that I have seen so far is a goodyear. I will have to check on sizes when I get a chance but there are a variety of sizes and I know when i was going through them that there were some red stipes in there but mainly the white walls.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Ah, a lazy one! Try educating yourself. You can start with a few google searches on the subject!

Guest Jim_Edwards
"May Pops"...haven't heard that phrase in many years. Dad always called tires that developed bubbles under the tread during the recapping process "May Pops". He sold them to farmers as farm trailer tires. Every now and then he would recap a batch of tires for family use using expensive Oliver truck tire recapping rubber. They wore like iron. I may have been the only kid around driving a '55 Jaguar wearing recaps.

I wasn't implying that I didn't believe new tires become junk after 5 years. I just would like to see something more than anecdotal evidence.

I was 15 years old before realizing "May Pop" was not a tire maker......:D

As for evidence, it all has to do with the amount and type of Silicone in the compounds. As for the somewhat generalization, tire companies are constantly altering the composition of the rubber they use in search of a product that will produce better tread wear characteristics while maintaining road grip in a wider range of weather and road conditions. A alteration in the type of Silicone is what is resulting in sidewall crazing/cracking and thus weakening that results in sidewall failure. If a tire exhibits significant sidewall crazing/cracking it's all over. One should not confuse the appearance of crazing/cracking of sidewall rubber today with what we once called weathering or weather cracks. Ain't the same animal. As with a lot of products, we are the quality control department, unfortunately if one isn't diligent with ongoing nspections it might kill you.

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

I would think that the breakdown would be greater in hot and sunny climates like Florida, or Southern California, where the tires are exposed to a greater extent of heat and sun than up here in the cooler north. I put new rubber on my 82 Riv convertible last year as the cords were breaking down and causing humps in the tread. The car came from Florida. It rides a whole lot better now. I have some antique farm tractors that have some very old tires on them and they still are holding air after 50 or more years. Of course we do not go far, or fast with them. My old 1962 F-250 ford has recaps on it that have to be 20 years old and they sill hold air and plow the driveway in the winter from time to time. Of course that truck also stays in the yard. Dandy Dave!

Go ahead and put a set of 1970 tires on your 1970 muscle car, take it up to 120 MPH and let us know what happens.

As I am not a chemist or tire engineer don't go by me. The information I got, came from some long discussions on an Airstream trailer BBS. Heavy trailers have a lot of tire trouble but some long time Airstream owners have minimized the danger by using top quality tires, checking pressure frequently, having them balanced perfectly, and replacing them every 4 to 5 years no matter how good they look.

This information came from the internet and therefore is obviously untrue.

Check with your local tire dealer and see what the manufacturers say.

Go ahead and put a set of 1970 tires on your 1970 muscle car, take it up to 120 MPH and let us know what happens.

My 1939 John Deere A can reach a death defying 8 MPH. :eek: Other than that, I never go over the speed limit, and usually slower.

You know. Come to think of it, I've never had a speeding ticket. About the only ones I've ever had was for a light out, or similar equipment problem, which are automaticly dismissed when the problem is repaired in 24 to 48 hours. Dandy Dave!

Guest Jim_Edwards
My 1939 John Deere A can reach a death defying 8 MPH. :eek: Other than that, I never go over the speed limit, and usually slower.

You know. Come to think of it, I've never had a speeding ticket. About the only ones I've ever had was for a light out, or similar equipment problem, which are automaticly dismissed when the problem is repaired in 24 to 48 hours. Dandy Dave!

You are OFFICIALLY cleared to put 20 year old 13" tires on your tractor......:D