First high-level 3rd brake light

rocketraider

All these years I had thought the 1971 Toronado was first with high-level 3rd brake lights, but apparently Thunderbird could have had them in 1968.

1968 Ford Thunderbird Optional Equipment

Now- back to 40s-50s Chrysler products. Were those trunk mounted brake lights separate from or in addition to the fender mounted tail lamps? and would they qualify as primary brake light or a 3rd brake light?

appears to be forward facing?
It is. That thing on the right of the page LOOKS like a 3rd brake light to our standards but it alerts the driver to blown taillight bulbs. Take another look, on the left of the page it mentions the "Supplemental Brake Light Option"

41-49 Chrysler products had a trunk mounted stop light but the tailights on the fenders didn't light with the brakes. I had problems in the early 70's getting a 46 Plymouth inspected that had only the center brake light. My current ride, a 48 Chrysler has only the center brake light.

Jay

Thanks Jazzer. That's what I was looking for on the Chryslers. I think we can all sympathize with trying to get an older car thru a "modern" safety inspection where the inspector is likely 1/3 the car's age.

Looks like Toro remains the first to have them standard. Until today I never knew Ford had offered them that early, and my guess is even then only on Thunderbird. Looks like it may have been wired to serve as a high-level turn signal too, since the page mentions it activates with the middle brake lamp bulb (remember T-birds back then had those gadgety sequential turn signals, which remain one of the coolest things ever put on a car).

Anyone know of any earlier 3rd brake light offering before 1968?

Guest danceswithpumps

Is this what you mean? I thought these went on when brakes were applied, but could be wrong.

DSC01111.jpg

Did anyone mention early 40s Buick?

DSC01118.jpg

Thanks,:)

Rod

Is this what you mean? I thought these went on when brakes were applied, but could be wrong.

Did anyone mention early 40s Buick?

Thanks,:)

Rod

No clue about the Buick.

As mentioned earlier in this thread Dodge and other Mopars came from the factory with only a center brake light. The fender mounted lights were tail lights alone. Or, if you had the fairly rare factory turn signals, the fender mounted lamps did tail and turn signal duty but still not brake.

A lot of people change the tail lights to double contact sockets and wire the brake light into them.