Can This Ebay Listing Be Real?

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

I just ran across this on Ebay....can this actually be real? Would someone really be selling this car with no reserve? Seems kind of suspect to me. I've heard about this car before during my research on my own 52 and I'm having a hard time buying this.

Buick : Roadmaster | eBay

Very suspect I'd say. I remember this car selling at an RM auction 3-4 years ago for over 100K. The description sounds like it was borrowed from some website but the grammar of the last sentence is the questionable part.

"The action have a buy it now price ,more details and pic available by email.

Ebay's reporting pull down menus are a joke. They need one for Exploitation..... oh, wait then there would be a conflict with Paypal...... or is that the Ebay search engine that excludes small sellers....... oh jeez, maybe Ebay is just entertainment. I did a search on completed car sales. None met the reserve. Nothing sold anyway.

Bernie

As an ebay seller I think he is just fishing as suggested. Even with bids he can end the Auction with no real recourse for any reason he sees fit with no problems or penalties. I have done it on a few parts that guys needed immediately to make a show or such. (hey I've been in that pinch myself)

Fortunately, the item has been removed. I made the owner aware of this sham listing (the car lives in a large private collection), and ebay was informed too (at @ 4PM). It only took them six hours to pull it down.

More than just ballsy, it's a cautionary tale of what can happen with Internet images and a computer. And it happens way more often than we know. I would bet some hacker got in to a dormant ebay account and launched this fakery. I'd also like to know the response if someone had contacted the "seller" for a pre-bid inspection. Something like, "Grandma has the keys to the storage unit where the car is, and she's in the hospital." so the car can't be viewed. That's if there's any response at all.

This is pure fraud, but the first perpetuated (that I'm aware of) with a notable car that I've met. I wonder how much of it goes on with $20 to $100 items where the ripoffs go unreported. In a perfect world, or TV land, there'd be a law enforcement unit that catches the perp(s) right when the money's dropped. Not so in ebayland 2011, where we're at least lucky that they shut it down before the auction ended.

I would've loved to have seen the obligatory post-auction notice..."Send a 10% down payment to

the Nephew of the Nigerian Finance Minister, um, no wait, that was last year..."

TG

Guest shadetree77

I knew that was too good to be true. I'm just glad we caught it before some poor guy got screwed. Thanks for contacting the owner TG. Lamar, the bad grammar in the last sentence is what tipped me off as well. That, and I'm almost certain that description was copied verbatim from a website featuring this car. Combine all of that with a no reserve auction and it was all wrong. I've been buying and selling on Ebay for roughly 10 years now and I've never come across a scam like this. It's definitely a first for me.

Robert, you're welcome, but I was just doing my duty to a fellow hobbyist, as were you by

alerting us in the first place. Glad I happened upon your post when I did...the owner of the

'52 was flabbergasted by the whole thing! Here's a link to the 2007 RM auction where

Lamar recalled the car and where the listing's pics originated.

52_buick_curtice_2x.jpg

Larger, one of my pics of the car from the 2009 RM auction at Meadow Brook.

Bleach, I too am waiting for a response from the bogus seller, but I'm not holding my

breath for it. BTW, I like your new avatar.

Imagine how you would feel if it were your car (or mine) that suddenly popped up for sale

in another state, with purloined pictures and text. Thanks to all, as this will make a great

tale when we're all swapping stories at a show or in the garage!

TG

Guest Rob McDonald

That, by the way, is one handsome Buick. I hadn't heard of it before this particular entertainment in eBayland. See? Something nice did come out of it.

This looks like a Derham custom. Did Mr. Curtice have the in-house shops build it or was it sent to Philadelphia for the rework?

Guest Dans 77 Limited

This happened to my brother in law.He owns a really nice 70 Monte Carlo. Somebody lifted the pictures off of his car domain site and put up a phony ad on Ebay. One of his friends in the first gen Monte Carlo club saw it and warned him.I dont know if the guy was caught or not. Buyer (and for that matter car owner) beware. I do very little on Ebay anymore, they insist on me having paypal and I insist on not having paypal. I use US postal service money orders to pay for items , as much for the sellers protection as my own, and if they are not acceptable to the seller, then I guess they really dont need to sell the item.

Dan

Rob,

It's a Fleetwood build, using a Caddy Fleetwood 75 rear roof and unique interior bits.

I swooned when I saw it at the '09 RM auction, as the whole effect reallly works with

the Sweepspear and the somewhat bulbous lines of the standard '52 Riviera Sedan.

Truly a beauty!

So Dan, you and your brother-in-law know exactly how the '52's owner felt.

It's a shame that all the scammer gets is the listing removed and maybe a

slap on the wrist. Pure fraud that should be prosecuted, not tolerated!

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)