54 Special Convertible

Guest 57Coupedeville

Guest 57Coupedeville

Hello Guys,

My name is Joe and i'm new to this forum.

The reason i'm on here is i am considering buying a 54 Special Convertible and would be interested to hear your thoughts on the pro's and con's of this type of vehicle.

I have been an American car owner for the last 3 years, owning a 57 Cadillac Coupe Deville therefore all my experience is with Cadillacs.

I would appreciate any help/advice

Many Thanks

Joe Hunt

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum. Well, it's a Buick...that's the only pro you need around here....

Really, that is a bit of a loaded question. Are we talking about a project car? If so, then condition, the thickness of your wallet, and your mechanical abilities all come into play. If we are talking about a restored car, then the questions get different.

Personally, and I may be a bit biased, I enjoy my '54 Century Estate Wagon. It drives nicely, has great aesthetics, and attracts a lot of positive attention.

The Special has the smaller body (same as Century), but has a smaller engine. These V8s are good, and quite strong. The Dynaflow doesn't shift per se, so that can take a bit of getting used to.

Good luck. Of course, if I were to advise you, I would suggest procuring the car.

Well with 54 Buicks and guys like Derek and I, you will get an open biased opinion, but hopefully we can offer some helpful info as well.

The 54 Special is a very simple car to work on. It has the "Million Dollar Ride" with all coil suspension, kingpins in the front and plenty of go with its V8. The transmission choices are either a syncromesh manual or the legendary Dynaflow automatic transferring power to the rear via a torque tube. It is a 12 volt car and can come with many options. It sure is the "Beautiful Buy" ;)

Let me have a Buick Salesman take you through all the features: :D

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cW168-4Amqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Would I suggest a 1954 Buick....hell yes yes.gif

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Guest 57Coupedeville

Thanks for the replies guys,

The sales vid is great, thanks for that.

The car i'm considering is in Texas which is a slight problem as i'm across the pond in England. However it is a lovely looking car but i'm very apprehensive about purchasing a car from photo evidence only.

The asking price is a dollar short of 27,000 so it's no small investment for me.

This is my first question as i don't have a clue as to how much this type of vehicle would sell for, so is it over priced or is it a reasonable price? I know what convertible Caddys go for so in comparison this seems a good price, but is it??.

From what i can see the car appears to be a mild custom and in very good condition but i can make my Caddy look like a show winner in photo's, so hence the apprehension.

I have done some research and have come to the conclusion that it is a mild custom for the following reasons:

1. There are no hood or trunk ornaments, or Buick lettering.

2. The hood doesn't have the scoop for the ornament

3. There are no over riders on the front and rear bumpers

4. There is no "Special" script on the rear quarters.

5. The wheels are 15inch wires and from what i've seen would not have been standard on a special. (but they look good)

Also

It is not a matching no vehicle although the engine appears correct for the car as it says it's a V8 nailhead. The fact it's not a matching No. car is not a concern to me as i'm not looking for a prize winner, just a smart driver. However i know that will affect the value. It is an automatic with manual brakes, manual top & power steering.

General problems listed are:

The radio, gas gauge and wipers don't work. Again as i'm not familiar with Buicks, i 'm wondering are parts available, are these potentially easy fixes etc.

The description also states the paint work as "driver quality" which is further described as a "five footer" so i think thats telling me it's pretty good.

I like the car and i'm not concerned that it's not totally original but i don't want to pay over the top for it.

I appreciate there are many variables that affect values either way and i also

realise that any car is only worth what someone will pay for it but i just don't have a clue as to an average selling price for a Buick Special Convertible. Am i looking at a "too good to be true" price or a total rip off? (I very much doubt it's the latter.)

Hope i haven't bored you with all this!!

Many thanks

Joe Hunt

Joe,

15-inch tires are the correct diameter for all 1954 Buicks. You didn't provide photos, but I have to say that the price sounds a bit high for a car with that many non-stock modifications/missing trim pieces and items that do not work. I have a good, working '54 Buick radio, by the way, that I would sell. The Special would have originally come with a 264 cubic inch "nail head" V-8 and a 2-barrel carburetor. It is hard to tell a 264 from a 322 from a 364, as they all look alike by sight. An important consideration (because it is expensive to repair or rebuild) is the condition of the Dynaflow automatic transmission. They all leak fluid some, so sluggishness is sometimes due to low fluid level. But if it is extremely sluggish and the fluid level is correct, then a rebuild is usually needed.

A friend of mine recently looked at a '57 Buick Special convertible. It was a total restoration, completely redone, no visible modifications, no missing parts, needing little to no work, and priced at $30,000, to give you something to go by. It was probably priced a little on the low side, given its nice condition. A nice thing about '54 Buicks, that Lamar didn't mention, is that the wiring is all vinyl or plastic-covered, which wears much better and longer than the fabric-covered wiring of earlier years.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1954 Special model 48-D

and other Buicks

Leonard, Texas

P.S.: Where in Texas is the car located? If near me, I could go look at it, but I don't have a lot of time with the Buick Club national meet coming up next week.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

I know which car you are talking about and I have to say that I'm bad a pricing out Modded cars.

Not much is standard on it and much has changed so I would like a better history than what is listed. I'm concerned about all that doesn't work, to me if you fix the car up like this you also fix those other things. The way this car was painted really takes away some of the bling this car had not to mention my concern on how well that paint will hold up on all the chrome pices that were shamelessly covered.

Leaving price alone in my opinion this is a bad attempt at a quick flip and not the work of a planned and artistic custom job.

Here is what the dash is supposed to look like:

5636519664_a1e3c1e72e.jpg

I have posted your question at 1954Buick.com where some with better appraisal skills than me will be able to help...I would suggest not jumping on this one until you hear more.

In my open and personal opinion....not only do I personally think it is over priced I just don't think it is a Buick you would want to have in general.

Guest 57Coupedeville

Hello Pete & Bob

Thank you both for you honest and considered opinions. This is exactly the kind of help/advice i was hoping to find on the forum.

Pete the link to view the car is Harwell Motors 1954 Buick Special Convertible - $26,999

Bob, I have to admit the dash did strike me as odd but i forgot to mention in the previous reply. Thanks for highlighting it.

Very much appreciated

Joe

Guest 57Coupedeville

Bob,

I understand where you're coming from.

The negatives are as important as the positives and indeed sometimes more so. So don't hold back on my account!!:)

Joe

Guest 57Coupedeville

Bob,

Yes i'd really like a convertible. I currently own a 57 Coupe De Ville hardtop, but a Buick convertible has always been in the back of my mind.

Joe

Bob,

Yes i'd really like a convertible. I currently own a 57 Coupe De Ville hardtop, but a Buick convertible has always been in the back of my mind.

Joe

Noted...;)

You may be meeting a MrEarl soon...he's sort of the resident 54 Buick matchmaker.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4993&d=1306838543

I hesitate to mention this one as I am as close to buying it myself, just waiting for my lotto winnings that seem to never come. It is more than 27K but you get hell of a lot of convertible Buick for that price. The line to purchase also includes MrEarl who just may kill me now for advertising this :o

http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1954-buick-roadmaster-convertible-76c-304945.html

Guest 57Coupedeville

Thanks for the heads up on that one Bob. Unfortunately thats way out of my wallet range. The one i was considering was going to stretch me, so maybe i am still just dreaming!!!

Joe

Not really...but it depends on your needs/wants.

If you want PM me with your email and I will keep an eye out...I always look for them anyways so it would be nice to be able to contact you if/when one comes along.

Also let me formally invite you to 1954Buick.com, drop by and say hello....many will love to help find you your 1954 Buick Special Convertible!

Joe, it's going to be difficult to find a running driving 54 convertible of any series for less than 20-25K.

There is a Super that needs total restoration I have been watching now for a couple of years. I offered about half of what they're asking about 2 years ago and never got a reply. If it's still available in a couple years I may ask again. thing is this seller keeps raising the price.

1954 BUICK COVERTIBLE--RARE SUPER MODEL ORIGINAL 322 ENGINE-AUTOMATIC

now if you might be interested in a gorgeous Century, 2 door hard top riviera, I looked at this one the other evening. Owner is in his 70's and in bad health and needs to sell, looking for a reasonable offer. I do not know what they might consider "reasonable".

post-31987-143138582653_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138582671_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138582687_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138582704_thumb.jpg

post-31987-14313858272_thumb.jpg

now if you might be interested in a gorgeous Century, 2 door hard top riviera, I looked at this one the other evening. Owner is in his 70's and in bad health and needs to sell, looking for a reasonable offer. I do not know what they might consider "reasonable".

*Pant pant pant*

I'll take it! :rolleyes:

Mr. Earl, from the '54s I've seen, and the posts by you and Bob, I've reached the conclusion that I have formally fallen in love with the '54s.

Kinda silly coming from a Reatta guy I know, but after looking at all the other years of Buicks, I thinkI prefer the '54s best (after Reattas of course).

Next would probably be a '59 of some sort, then probably a '63 Riviera.

I'm a sucker for black cars, and the 2-tone red/grey (or whatever that is) interior just makes the car.

Now.. To wait for my ship to come in.. it's awfully slow sometimes, and when it does finally come in, there seems to not be a whole lot on it...

Must be those dadgumm Pirates.. :mad:

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

*Pant pant pant*

Mr. Earl, from the '54s I've seen, and the posts by you and Bob, I've reached the conclusion that I have formally fallen in love with the '54s.

Kinda silly coming from a Reatta guy I know, but after looking at all the other years of Buicks, I thinkI prefer the '54s best (after Reattas of course).

Next would probably be a '59 of some sort, then probably a '63 Riviera.

I'm a sucker for black cars, and the 2-tone red/grey (or whatever that is) interior just makes the car.

Now.. To wait for my ship to come in.. it's awfully slow sometimes, and when it does finally come in, there seems to not be a whole lot on it...

Must be those dadgumm Pirates.. :mad:

This guy's got class. Your order of likes are about the same as mine. Let me know if that ship arrives in port and I can help you procure this Buickful '54. Please join us, if you haven't already. over on the '54 Buick Highway.

There's a 54 Super over in Burlington with your name on it, go check it out. Might be a good deal for down around 2 grand. Go check it out. I might go have a look see on my way to Danvers54 BUICK SUPER

*Pant pant pant*

Me too, but it's worse for me cause I'm into those straight eights, so it's almost blasphomy for me to even look at a car with a V8 under the hood!!!

BUT I know who to blame!! That Mr Earl.

Before he let Irene get transported down here to reside with my mate Rooster Ken I had never really glanced at a 54 ( not that there's a heap of them here to glance at ). But, I have to say that 1954 Roadmaster 2 door ( Irene ) is one very impressive motor car. So much so that when that 1954 Roadmaster Convertible popped up here a few weeks ago for $40,000ish I did some quick calculations to see what it would cost to bring down a companion for Irene. At the end of the day I realised it would take a lotto win and thankfully it seems to have gone to a good home.

But a Black 54 Century 2 door - hmm I do like Centuries.

This guy's got class. Your order of likes are about the same as mine. Let me know if that ship arrives in port and I can help you procure this Buickful '54. Please join us, if you haven't already. over on the '54 Buick Highway.

There's a 54 Super over in Burlington with your name on it, go check it out. Might be a good deal for down around 2 grand. Go check it out. I might go have a look see on my way to Danvers54 BUICK SUPER

Hmm, I'll have to put some very serious thought to that.. Let me know what you find if/when you go to look at it. :)

Me too, but it's worse for me cause I'm into those straight eights, so it's almost blasphomy for me to even look at a car with a V8 under the hood!!!

BUT I know who to blame!! That Mr Earl.

Before he let Irene get transported down here to reside with my mate Rooster Ken I had never really glanced at a 54 ( not that there's a heap of them here to glance at ). But, I have to say that 1954 Roadmaster 2 door ( Irene ) is one very impressive motor car. So much so that when that 1954 Roadmaster Convertible popped up here a few weeks ago for $40,000ish I did some quick calculations to see what it would cost to bring down a companion for Irene. At the end of the day I realised it would take a lotto win and thankfully it seems to have gone to a good home.

But a Black 54 Century 2 door - hmm I do like Centuries.

What's going on here :eek:

Mr earl has a lot to answer for.......corrupting all these nice people!

If only he could see the light ( from those pretty 55 headlights ) :D

You could join the exclusive 54 Club too Brian :cool:

Wasn't there a 54 up for sale a while ago from one of your Vic. members ?

I seem to recall seeing it somewhere. It was one of the few that I contacted the owner about selling before I bought Irene ( it wasn't for sale then, hence the Irene purchase )

Guest 57Coupedeville

Hello MrEarl,

That 2dr H/Top is a lovely car car but the only car i'll part with the Caddy for is a convertible.

It would also have to be two tone as i think the two tone Buick convertibles are pure class. (In the right combination of course).

Regards and thanks to everyone who has replied.

Joe

The '54s did not come as "Two Tone" (bottom of sweepspear different colour) but you mention mild mods are not a concern so no matter. The true Two Tone started in '55.

It shouldn't be a problem though as many restorations of a 54 get that "Two Tone" treatment.

Where's the popcorn? It looks like this is going to get interesting....

Marck - you'll want to look at either a model 49 or 69...more space to haul Reatta parts around in.

I did have a good chuckle in this thread...when it comes down to it, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and subtle differences make all the difference to a given individual. Ultimately, I have found the best to be buy what appeals to you and what is locally available...shipping cars adds grief and cost, although it can't always be avoided.

As a '54 owner, MrEarl might think of me as blasphemous saying that I have trouble going gaga over a particular year of car...I like all the Buickful cars...the best ones have "for sale" signs on them as they are easier to acquire than those not for sale.

Lamar - that is some black beauty there...I wouldn't want to speculate on the reasonable offer either. As for that convertible, I'd love to have that Super in Baffin Green, but a seller like that who mentions Barrett Jackson turns me off completely...I'd rather buy from a dealer who I know is making a profit on a car than someone who assumes the value of their project is based on the end state value regardless of what it will take to get there.

Where's the popcorn? It looks like this is going to get interesting....

Marck - you'll want to look at either a model 49 or 69...more space to haul Reatta parts around in.

Here, I got some.. Have a seat *passes popcorn*

Note taken on the space for Reatta parts.. :D

57 Coupedeville, I know you already said you were going to pass on that green machine. I just wanted to point out that it has no heater either. Probably not a problem in Texas, but sure to be trouble anywhere north of that.

ps: you 54 guys are brazen. Everyone knows 56's are sublime.:D