"My Classic Car" TV Show

Bob Hill

I used to really enjoy this show - was nice to see some nice restorations of classic and antique cars. Here lately the show has gotten to the point that it has become more of a show about which cars have been chopped up and turned into street rods. Seldom if ever do they show any nice restorations back to original.

Anyone else grown to dislike the show?

Maybe it should be renamed "Chop Shop" :rolleyes: Guess I will quit watching it since I am not into street rods and chopped up classics

BOB

Guest windjamer

Bob you couldnt be more right. I was a faithful fan untill the show started to change,now when I see Dennis and his stupid mustach I just flip the chanell.:mad:

Guest DagoRed

Totally agree with the above. My Classic Car should be called My Bizzare Car. Today it is just an info-mercial surrounded by two bizzare car segments.

I'm with you on these "car" shows. I recently watched one where they "had only three weeks" to find and build a GTO for a prestigious car auction where only the best and most perfect cars were sold.

<O:pThe car was painted three days before the auction and they then noticed that the frame had a very large bend and kink in it. No problem, they got out the torch and jacked and hammered it back into shape!

<O:p(I guess this was not a frame off restoration, as they didn’t even paint it)

<O:pThe car was finished 30 minutes before they had to get it to the auction, so they test drove it to there!

<O:pThey were so happy to sell it for $21,000. I feel sorry for the new owner.

<O:pDid I mention the small fire they had when they started it? It seems that a BARE WIRE shorted out. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I agree I used to record the shows weekly and really enjoyed them a lot but I have noticed a trend to lean more towards hot rods and restomods. I've taken it off my recording options and do not watch it anymore. The same with the program Two Guys garage. With the new young guys since one of them is into hot rods the car has taken a swing toward that and rebuilding hot rods etc. Not the basic mechanic work that the other guy used to do. Are the hot rodders taken over? I'm sure there are just as many purists that would like to see the cars in their originality.

Yup, I agree. This topic has come up here many times, of course, but I guess last week I noticed how far it had come. I always tape the show and last time I found myself just picking up the remote and fast forwarding through in a few minutes, with nothing that interested me. Looks like it will happen again this week at whatever car show they are visiting. Come on Dennis Gage, you can do better than this, Todd C

PS--I will probably continue taping (DVR actually) so I can see the Jay Leno segments, but I will continue fast forwarding too, apparently through almost everything else. And BTW, Car Crazy I completely gave up on long ago.

It's not just the TV shows. All the old car magazines are headed that way too. They start out with articles about minor changes to improve "driveability", such as adding disk brakes. Next thing you know, featured cars are restomods, or, in some cases, full blown hot rods.

I have nothing against hot rods, and admire the craftsmanship and workmanship. In fact, I subscribe to just one hot rod magazine, a wonderful publication devoted to them, "Rodder's Journal", beautiful photography, great stories, and tales of original rods and finding them. But they are purists too, and DON'T have articles about ORIGINAL ANTIQUE cars.

I feel that the two areas of the old car hobby should stay separate. It happens on a local level, too, the local AACA chapter is in a discussion about allowing hot rods to the yearly AACA show. Not appropriate, in my opinion, but just a matter of time before it happens. I'll bet that the rules get more lenient at the National level also, in time, and rods are allowed which are "period correct", not just "period".

Me, I'll just sit back and enjoy my original cars, and the only modification on them will be the age of the owner......

Check out our own Tom Cox on the Classic Car segment below. Hey, he's wearing an AACA cap!;) Thanks Tom!

Season 15 (2011) Episode 07 | My Classic Car with Dennis Gage

Guys, we need to use every opportunity given to us to advertise our hobby. No disrespect to Jeff or anyone else, but shutting your eyes to car hobbyists of any venue is to turn away potential AACA members.

Yes, I have heard rumblings about rods and such involved with our hobby. The rumblings occur because AACA members are concerned about the AACA and what needs to be done to perpetuate it. As the VP of Development and Support-Southeast Region, I am on the forefront of this new battle of ours and the battle is happening now!

Florida is an area that will be hit first, since so many retired members are down there, and I have had phone calls from Region/Chapter Presidents down there that are concerned about this problem.

Please attend an AACA round table in your area to express your views and help us deal with it. We are all in this together.

Wayne

Guest DagoRed
And BTW, Car Crazy I completely gave up on long ago.

Car Crazy: I'm sure Barry is a swell guy, but two things he does drive me up the wall; 1) He is a close talker as he grins like a pole cat. I can see some of those being interviewed just a bit uncomfortable with the close talking/grinning, as I would be. 2) and can someone please tell this man how to pronounce the word 'passion' which apparently is his favorite word since he can't make 3 sentences without it. Its not PAAYH-sion - its passion, look it up then as fitting penance, never use the word again, ever...

Edited by DagoRed (see edit history)

Hope I am not hijacking the thread, but I see some problems with casting too wide a net in an effort to catch many fish for just a scant few minutes of attention.

This was even brought up by Peter DeLorenzo in a recent Autoline After Hours program. He sees the future where MORE specialized publications and shows will be more successful as people's time crunches keep increasing.

For example. Amos used to have several "Enthusiast" publications that catered to a narrow audience such as Corvettes, Pontiacs, Mopars, etc. They recently combined these into an all encompassing Auto Enthusiast that apparently pleases no one...at least by the comments on the members of the boards I read.

Single Marque Clubs can handle variations on a theme, with stock, concours driven, mild modified, etc classes. My 69 Chevelle SS started in the mild modified and moved into the stock restored as I continued to work on it.

I just don't know if this would work with AACA. It would be a dilution of purpose, of charter and of vision.

Getting back to TV shows, I have to agree that there aren't many left that I enjoy...so I spend more time in my garage LIVING, rather than WATCHING!!! I really wish Dennis would dial back a bit on the modifieds though...but he has been successful at this for quite some time.

Guest marlin65

I could not agree more with the comments about these TV shows."Two Guys Garage" was pretty good when Sam M was on it. "My Classic Car" and "Car Crazy" have both turned into hot rod shows, with about 20 minutes of ads in each show.

I belong to the Corvair Society of America and I even see this trend happening there. Our magazine for the last two or three issues has dealt with racing and mods to make the Corvair go faster on the track and street.V8's in the back seat,heavily modified engines and suspensions. Heck they don't even look like Corvairs anymore.

Here in Dade City Fl we have a monthly saturday evening cruise in. Naturally we have about 90% rods, some are very well done, but the point is the car they sacrifice is usually rare or hard to find.Just last cruise-in a super straight 53 Ford sedan delivery (Courier?) showed up jacked to the sky, huge engine with a blower sticking thru the hood, no mufflers etc etc.I mean this car had no rust, mostly original paint(what wasn't burned off in welding) and a clean interior. Made me ill to see what it became.

Guys, we need to use every opportunity given to us to advertise our hobby. No disrespect to Jeff or anyone else, but shutting your eyes to car hobbyists of any venue is to turn away potential AACA members.

Yes, I have heard rumblings about rods and such involved with our hobby. The rumblings occur because AACA members are concerned about the AACA and what needs to be done to perpetuate it. As the VP of Development and Support-Southeast Region, I am on the forefront of this new battle of ours and the battle is happening now!

Please attend an AACA round table in your area to express your views and help us deal with it. We are all in this together.

Wayne

Wayne, this is a huge issue and we will have to deal with it, I would say half of the two biggest problems of the old car hobby, the other being attracting younger members.

I wonder if you might start another thread (as this is off topic here) to pose the question of how does a club deal with pressure to relax rules to be more "inclusive" at the risk of eliminating their standards and alienating long time members. I would especially be interested in how the CCCA members feel about their club and the pressure from people who do not respect their standards of what is a "Classic" (capital C intentional).

TV and car shows now have people seeing "classic" cars as whatever brightly painted street rod with a Chevy 350 they see at the cruise night--a relaxation of standards to put it mildly--and if we "exclude" that car we are the bad guy, but on the other hand I do not want to participate in a club dedicated to that kind of car. Just like what I assume happens with the CCCA. What to do? Todd C

This was even brought up by Peter DeLorenzo in a recent Autoline After Hours program. He sees the future where MORE specialized publications and shows will be more successful as people's time crunches keep increasing.

For example. Amos used to have several "Enthusiast" publications that catered to a narrow audience such as Corvettes, Pontiacs, Mopars, etc. They recently combined these into an all encompassing Auto Enthusiast that apparently pleases no one...at least by the comments on the members of the boards I read.

I always listen to Autoline After Hours and heard Peter on that topic. I understood his point to be that there will soon be less demand for automotive news magazines with long lead press times when car reviews and such could be had quick and free on the internet. BUT there WOULD be room for beautifully photographed and written magazines (at profitable selling prices) about collector cars or other features of special interest that are not time sensitive. Sounds like a good point and just when Amos Press went the other way. Todd

I met Dennis a few years ago when I had my then 13 model T touring at the America on Wheels auto muesum. He admitted he didn't know too much about them, but was intriged and was impressed that such a young guy had a car like that. We had a nice brief conversation & I had my picture taken with him.

I think these shows only exist because of ratings, and the advertisers who pay to keep the show on the air. If they can sell more auto insurance (or what ever) to street rod guys, then to antique car guys then that's where the script of the shows are going to go, to get those guys to tune in.

It would be interesting to see, out of all the car guys in the country, how many are into customs compared to 100 % correct restorations. My guess if as barrett jacksons and the auto TV shows have put more rods and muscle cars on, there must be more of them then of us.

Hemmings for example seems to be doing a good job on trying to put a new spin on antique car mags, which I really appreciate. I think if anyone should do a show it should be them. So I just focus in on what I like, and shut off the rest. Maybe better yet, I'll go for a ride in the model A or go work on something in the garage. It's probably time better spent.

I think these shows only exist because of ratings, and the advertisers who pay to keep the show on the air. If they can sell more auto insurance (or what ever) to street rod guys, then to antique car guys then that's where the script of the shows are going to go. My guess if as barrett jacksons and the auto TV shows have put more rods and muscle cars on, there must be more of them then of us.

Hemmings for example seems to be doing a good job on trying to put a new spin on antique car mags, which I really appreciate.

Yes and yes. I think Hemmings splitting into domestic old cars, musclecars, and sports and import are logical divisions and their content is all very good, I am a big fan of their work, Todd C

Guest DagoRed
Yes and yes. I think Hemmings splitting into domestic old cars, musclecars, and sports and import are logical divisions and their content is all very good, I am a big fan of their work, Todd C

I made it a point to stop by to give my regards to the 'soldiers' in the Hemming's tent at Charlotte this Saturday. Told them to pass on my 'job well done' and fresh Cannoli's to those responsible for the 3 publications I receive from them.

I guess I should turn off the TV and read Hemmings publications more thoroughly as well as get stirring in the garage like others have mentioned....

Check out our own Tom Cox on the Classic Car segment below. Hey, he's wearing an AACA cap!;) Thanks Tom!

Season 15 (2011) Episode 07 | My Classic Car with Dennis Gage

Florida is an area that will be hit first, since so many retired members are down there, and I have had phone calls from Region/Chapter Presidents down there that are concerned about this problem.

Wayne

I guess I differ in my view. I do not see many, if any, street rodders joining AACA just like you won't see me joining any street rod clubs. If the AACA ever allows Street Rods on the show field I will drop my membership so fast it will be unreal. I for one do NOT appreciate the creativity of a street rod as I see it as a destroyed antique. Yes, maybe I am narrow minded but you will never see me thinking that street rodders are good for the hobby

Edited by Bob Hill (see edit history)

Am I the only one who feels that AACA may be shooting itself in the foot by having National Meets in conjunction with larger events such as Charlotte Auto Fair? I understand the problems of logistics etc but I miss the "exclusivity" and ambience if you will of AACA only events. I don't think I saw very many non members wandering among the show cars at Charlotte. The AACA meet almost seemed a minor footnote to the larger event rather than being an event onto itself. I can tell you this, I have heard many complaints about the AACA venue at Homestead. Too many competing events going on at the same time. Sorry folks, I don't intend to demean the efforts of the region members who work very hard putting on these shows but I've always said what I think and am too old to stop now. People like taking their old cars (and often their old selves) to shows in pleasant surroundings. When it stops being fun they will stop coming. I don't want us to be the CCCA but I also don't want AACA events to degenerate into a parking lot cruise in. Apologies if I offended anyone. That is not my intent at all. I care very much about AACA and see some trends developing that are, to me at least, somewhat disturbing.

No, you and Bob Hill are right on target. Just because AACA got to where it is by being all things to all people, embracing the street rodders will truly be the beginning of the end. If the AACA no longer wants to be the ANTIQUE Car Club of America, good luck. The street rodders obviously have no interest in antiques or classics so WHY cater to them?

Guest Jim_Edwards

Being somewhat of a Black & White realist in nature, we all must realize this hobby is for the most part driven by the personal life experiences of our youth once one gets beyond the preservation of pre steel bodied automobiles. Whether any of us "Old Coots" want to accept a transitioning in the hobby or not is irrelevant. It will happen or is happening.

For those who are of the "Boomer" generation the automobile was a great part of our social environment and it was married to first the family two week driving vacation, then the music of the given time, the local burger joint we hung out at, and drive-in theaters. That all began to significantly change in the early 1970s. First the local burger joints were replaced with McDonalds, Burger King, Jack in the Box, and others. No more places to hang out! At the same time the drive-in motion picture theaters fell victim to multiple screen indoor theaters. The family vacation took to the air and a rental car at the destination. The era of the social connections to the automobile was basically over.

The popularity of this hobby will depend upon just how many of those born after 1970 something become enamored with it. But realistically what about the automobile after 1975-76 or so production that would truly enamor anyone to the hobby?

So the TV shows many of us consider just so much crap are a reflection of the change in the nature of the enthusiast. The changes in publications reflect an almost panic attempt on that industry to preserve itself. Dividing publications into specific interest areas won't save them. I think they would be well advised to realize their future is highly dependent upon exposing the readership to the broader spectrum. Hemmings efforts will blow up in their face so to speak as the publishers of Motor Trend have discovered to some extent with attempting the much the same. Needless to say the Internet has forever altered the print publishing business.

Basically, I personally cringe every time I happen to somehow find myself viewing for even a few minutes one of those car related shows. Chip Foose should be shot, the guys at DVAP need to stick to selling serviceable parts, B-J auctions should go broke like others have, and that fool show from Florida should be canceled. All could be replaced with colorized re-runs of Route 66!

Jim

So the TV shows many of us consider just so much crap are a reflection of the change in the nature of the enthusiast. The changes in publications reflect an almost panic attempt on that industry to preserve itself. Dividing publications into specific interest areas won't save them. I think they would be well advised to realize their future is highly dependent upon exposing the readership to the broader spectrum. Hemmings efforts will blow up in their face so to speak as the publishers of Motor Trend have discovered to some extent with attempting the much the same. Needless to say the Internet has forever altered the print publishing business.

Jim, I agree with most everything you said except for the comments about Hemmings above. You may ultimately be right about that too, but I think as long as Hemmings maintains their current pricing and quality of material they will be OK and they claim their circulation is up. I have read the Motor Trend Classics but have not bought it because (even with good writing and quality layout) their content vs cost is not a good value to me. Neither was Cars & Parts and the end, and neither is Hemmings Motor News to me, but Hemmings Classic Car and their other titles are. Just my opinion, this topic is pretty personally subjective, but I think they have their best game on just when they need it most. Todd

Guest Kingoftheroad

MCC & other TV shows are bound to change eventually cause, lets face it, if your doing a show strictly on factory correct restorations, your limited. No offense but, no matter how many cars you have on the show, you can only do so many shows about stock suspension.

I'm a big fan of restoring back to original or as close as possible and I was totally against the idea of putting a Chevy engine in a nicely built Ford, custom or not. These days, I can appreciate a nicely built Rod, when done tastefully. While I'm against ruining a perfectly good classic or antique, rodders DO save oldies that otherwise would end up in the junkyard. Both sides, restorers & rodders can benefit from shared knowledge. I, like many of you grew up in a time when a MOPAR guy would get hammered if he showed his face near a group of Chevy guys, Ford guy etc.. Over time, these lines in the sand have faded and we're becoming Car guys instead of just Chevy guys or just MOPAR guys, or whatever. Makes things a little more friendly among car owners of various types at any given place.

And who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to admit that I like a particular car that I publicly put down cause it was made by a manufacturer I didn't like....lol

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

lets face it, if your doing a show strictly on factory correct restorations, your limited.

Yes, and street rodders are just a marvel of variety in that area :).

Come on now, you know the formula:

350 SBC Crate Motor

Fatman or Mustang II front suspension

Master Power or Stainless Steel Brakes

Vintage Air Air Conditioning

Does not look too creative to me.

"lets face it, if your doing a show strictly on factory correct restorations, your limited."

You mean with the hundreds of options and numerous combinations for any car? Hot red or flames is not included, but, cars were made a certain way and they should stay that way

Guest 827GFZ73

Hmmmm...thought about this matter when I was at the magazine rack of Barnes & Nobles last night. Seems like that Collectible Automobile and Hemmings Classic Car were the only two decent publications devoted to either original or restored to factory specifications type cars that mirror automotive history. The rest of the car magazines were geared to hot rodders and the big wheel group; folks who prefer to re-write his own automotive history. I guess the same principal applies to televised media.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Let's get real folks. There have been cars produced that are not really worth the investment "restoration" might incur. I'd much rather see a bare bones example of any vehicle of any year turned into tastefully done Street Rod or Artistically done Low Rider........Yeah, I actually mentioned Low Rider.

I don't think anyone gets exited about looking at a perfectly restored '57 Ford 300 2 door with a six and 3 on the tree or '56 Chevy two-ten so called business coupe with no back seat and a six with three on the tree. These cars are better saved in the form of a Street Rod or Low Rider.

Most Street Rods/Customs have interiors that are little short of a work of art and Low Riders often have unbelievable exterior graphics, as well as interiors that are works of art in upholstery. The junk seen as Street Rods/Customs on such as "Over Haulin' " is not reflective of true Street Rods/Customs that one will typically see at a gathering of those folks. There is a lot more to a real Street Rod/Custom than any of those shows turn out.

Jim

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

I don't think anyone gets exited about looking at a perfectly restored '57 Ford 300 2 door with a six and 3 on the tree or '56 Chevy two-ten so called business coupe with no back seat and a six with three on the tree. These cars are better saved in the form of a Street Rod or Low Rider.

Jim

I had rather look at a perfectly restored '57 Ford 300 2 door with a six and 3 on the tree or '56 Chevy two-ten so called business coupe with no back seat and a six with three on the tree than the fanciest street rod ever built. When I go to shows that have street rods I walk right by them. I judge at several car shows (local) and I refuse to judge the street rods - I leave that to someone who can appreciate them - which I don't.

These cars are better saved in the form of a Street Rod or Low Rider.

Jim

How is any car better saved to be a Street Rod vs. being restored??:confused: I have a huge dislike for street rods, etc. and if the AACA ever starts bringing them in (I can't imagine this happening but stranger things have happened) I will be long gone as I imagine several long time members will.

I belong to the Corvair Society of America and I even see this trend happening there. Our magazine for the last two or three issues has dealt with racing and mods to make the Corvair go faster on the track and street.V8's in the back seat,heavily modified engines and suspensions. Heck they don't even look like Corvairs anymore.

Same here. Been a CORSA member since 1993 and served on the National Board in the 90s as well but lately they have drifted towards the modified Corvair as the standard. I may be a former member if they keep it up - and as you know CORSA can't stand to lose many members.

I'm not sure I agree,Jim, That base line Ford was the car that many people CAME HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL in. They are every bit automotive history as Bugatti or Duesenberg. That is the purpose of AACA. To preserve, restore and display original vehicles, and auto related stuff.Any stuff. We are the bridge to the past. A differant time , with differant outlooks on life. We could do anything! The poor could afford a car, the rich a more expensive one, (sic The Grapes Of Wrath). Without clubs, like the AACA, Vmcca and others, history will be of no consequence. But, I believe some cars are probably not worth putting money into..... Like almost all of 'em. They are all money pits. Just like golf, fishing( especially owning a boat), sky diving. Darn, when I did my Hornet over in 1991 I dumped well over 25k into it. Was it a bad investment? Of course. I could have bought stock in Microsoft & 10 years later bought 3 finished cars. Sorry for running on. I guess that I am just a bit too sentimental, and when down I reach back to my youth, when the whole world was there for the taking. Street rods don,t bring me there.

I pretty much agree with everything that's been said here. I have no interest in rods, customs or ricers. In fact, I stopped going to one very large show here (which has since disappeared) because they put the 70's cars behind all the tricked out cars and rods with their music blaring. One of the reality shows - the one with Chip Foose, I think, took a very rare '71 Torino 2 door sedan, 6 cyl stick with 7000 original miles and turned it into a Cobra with a 428 and slicks. I just about died over that one. It's been a long time since I've watched Dennis Gage as well. I like cars like I like women - the way they were made from the factory.

Let's get real folks. There have been cars produced that are not really worth the investment "restoration" might incur. I'd much rather see a bare bones example of any vehicle of any year turned into tastefully done Street Rod or Artistically done Low Rider........Yeah, I actually mentioned Low Rider.

Depends on how fancy you want to get Jim. My '56 Chevy attached below is what I call a beater. Actually it's a very good driver and has toured all over the country. I paid $4500.00 for it, put another $1500.00 in the interior, and little else. I almost got disqualified at its first adventure on the AACA show field as a DPC candidate, because it had a horrid exhaust system. I replaced it and have gotten driver awards ever since. DPC, a great way to start in the AACA hobby. As far as an investment, I would bet I'd get more for it today, than what I have in it, but I have no intentions in selling it, cause we're headed to the Founders Tour Saturday morning for a week long tour.;)

I don't know about excited, but a lot of people give us, and actually gave us thumbs up from our trip home from Charlotte this past weekend. Just the fact that it's old and red has a lot to do with it. We have fun driving it too.:)

Wayne

post-31395-143138507828_thumb.jpg

Most of the car TV shows these days are what are called "marketing-based entertainment." That is, they're really infomercials. The companies that make them aren't TV companies, they're marketing companies, and their literature to sponsors talks about "Imagine a 20-minute commercial where the viewer doesn't even realize he's watching your message." I know, because I used to receive such packages when I worked for an aftermarket performance company. We paid for product placement on "Two Guys Garage" and they devoted one episode a season to our product, disguised as a teaching segment.

Anyway, the hod rodding aftermarket is HUGE, particularly in comparison to the "authentic" side of the hobby. There are huge companies like Edelbrock, Summit Racing, Pete & Jakes, etc., who drive the advertising and therefore the content on those shows. There's just no way, say, Bob's Automobilia or Kanter can compete with their marketing and financial power. So you're going to see more and more shows moving to showcase cars that can sell product placed by manufacturers whose demographic is hot rodders. It's not simply who will watch, but who will PAY.

It sucks, but there's probably no single company in the restoration field with the means to step up and sponsor even one episode, never mind an entire series.

Antique Automobile Club of America. Not street or resto or any other kind of rod or custom, but Antique.

That's what I'm in the hobby for, and that's what will keep me in the club.

Been a member of Classic Car Club of America since 1976, and seeing a lot of criticism of that club (some deserved) lately, I've questioned my membership. However, for a long, long time, the Club was true to original charter. That's slowly changing, as worries about membership change perspectives, and so the not-so-Classic cars start being added to the list.

It's the wrong thing to do. Personal opinion only, the 25 year rule will damage the AACA, as it's not true to the original intent. It's being done for the wrong reason, for membership, and with the thought that's the only way to keep the club strong. All it will do is water down the brew until it's unfit to drink for many. A collector with a Packard isn't going to always show up at an event full of Pintos......

Everyone has their interests, driven by different reasons, but just adding "more" does not a successful club make.

I was at a show where Dennis was filming. I was between a Glen pray Auburn, an original 30s Rolls and my 32 Packard. I was thinking one of us will get their 15 minutes of fame.

No such luck. A jeep on snow tracks, a driver condition power wagon and a fake 37 ford rod.

Did I mention there where also 2 stock Cords at the show. I ended up with Peoples Choice and the Rolls ended up with Kid's choice. We were at a town 6 hours from where I live so no favoritism.

I don't mind hot rods but when you see these 30s Fords built with aftermarket bodies and chassis keep winning best of shows, you just have to grin and bear it. Worse of all they are a dime a dozen now. One such won best Ford. I wondered what part of the car was a Ford as it was all aftermarket with a Chevy engine.

Guest Kingoftheroad

I love a beautiful restoration, I just stopped hating beautifully done cars because they were street rods. No matter how much I tried to hate rods, I found myself admitting some of them were really NICE !