How would you move a 1 Cylinder run about from Maine to CA

Adam Auditori

Kind of depends on how much money you want to spend. There are professional haulers that can be found in Hemmings magizine. Yellow pages in Maine another source. Make sure they, or you, have plenty of insurance. I have rented enclosed U-Haul trailers for long distance, one way trips and have never had a problem. Might want a pick-up or SUV for the mountains however. A small, light weight runabout won't be needing a huge trailer anyway. Get quotes and sound advise.

Good luck!

Skip

maybe a route that would include portions of the old 'lincoln' highway, 'national old trails road' and route 66. I would think the 'freeways' such as 'interstate' highways would have minimum speed laws... and it would take much longer than 110 hours. perhaps 2 weeks at least... maybe 3 weeks. but... what a great drive it could be!

In my one-lung Cadillac on a tour, I typically average 17 mph in rolling country, counting traffic lights but not other stops, like food and gas. Serious mountains are slower, since it crawls once I need low gear, and I don't dare try to make up time on the downgrades. In dead flat country, I can average 20 unless I'm fighting a wind. Normal flat road cruising speed is 25-28.

I have a top and storm front, but they slow me way down since it's like driving with an open parachute. Also rain driving is dangerous because no modern driver expects to round a bend and find a dark car ahead of him going 20 mph. I should start using those little strobe flashers on my license plate.

I agree it would be a helluva trip!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Guest De Soto Frank

Check out "Horatio's Drive".... :D

I think you'll need a mechanic named Crocker and a bull terrier named Bud ! ;)

( Sorry - initially I had Sewell Crocker mixed up with Seward that got us Alaska...)

Edited by De Soto Frank (see edit history)

Look at Aliceramsey.com, My 67 year old mother and three girls drove across country in 31 days, you could probably do it in 40 ( they were in a 4 cylinder Maxwell). And you would be able to repair everything on the car (again) by the time you got home!!

Getting back to your question, you will want an enclosed trailer move. The large firms like Horseless Carriage, Passport Transport, Reliable, etc. can give you quotes over the phone or internet. To spend less money, I suggest you try uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves. I've had luck there. Another guy I've used is Alex Kulikovsky. He owns his own 53' truck and often drives coast-to-coast. A nice, resourceful guy who'll move anything.

Phil

• Thank you some good very good advice.
  • Shipping from NY the quote is allmost double still waiting for more quotes
  • I am keen to drive maybe should suck it and see, I need a holiday. Transport from where ever it all goes wrong. I think it would make it, treated with respect.
  • I have thought about Hiring a large pick up and puting it in the back.
  • I will let you know what the end result is.