Hood Ornaments, Mascots, and Radiator Caps...Which is which?

Guest ken bogren

Guest ken bogren

What is the difference between a radiator cap, a hood ornament, and a mascot?

Seems simple enough in the radiator vs hood ornament on modern cars where the radiator and its cap are both under the hood, but what about the earlier cars?

Is it a matter of age or style, or..? Are mascot and hood ornament synonyms?

They are sort of used interchangeably, but I guess the hood ornament is for later cars where it actually mounts to the hood or atop the grille, and the radiator cap is, well, a radiator cap.

A mascot would usually be a figure or ornament attached to a radiator cap, but I guess it could also apply to prewar and early postwar cars with a figure mounted on the hood like a Packard or Cadillac. Just my opinion on this, Todd

A mascot can not be limited to pre-war or early post-war cars or trucks for that matter. Case in point is the bull dog on a Mac truck or the ram on a Dodge. Is it a mascot or an emblem or an ornament?? For those two, I would have to say they are most deffently a mascot. A mascot to me is somthing that is Iconic, somthing to remember.

Can any one come up with more so called mascots that are more modern and not just an emblem like SS, or an emblem like some trapazoid with a thing-ma-jig passing threw it.

Paul

Edited by paulrhd29nz
thought about it more. (see edit history)

As far as I am concerned, the Mustang horse is a grille emblem. I think it all evolved this way...radiator cap, radiator mascot/cap, hood ornament. The cap itself being the functional part of the beginning. The mascot added later to dress up or distinguish one car from another and then on to the ornament where it was strictly a trim item or sometimes hood release since the radiator cap went beneath the hood. The grille emblem went from across the radiator to the face of the radiator shell to the grille.

How about the Pontiac Indians, which evolved from mascot to ornament to uh, icon. Please don't shoot me for muddying the water more. Icon, he says, what an idiot! ho!

Guest ken bogren
... I think it all evolved this way...radiator cap, radiator mascot/cap, hood ornament. The cap itself being the functional part of the beginning. The mascot added later to dress up or distinguish one car from another and then on to the ornament where it was strictly a trim item or sometimes hood release since the radiator cap went beneath the hood. The grille emblem went from across the radiator to the face of the radiator shell to the grille.

Yeah, I guess that pretty much describes development/use of the various terms.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.