Radio replacement (1990)

Bushwack

Looking for suggestions on a replacement for the radio. I've searched the forum and it seems all that is compatible (from Delco) is a unit that either came from a late 1990s Silverado or a 1987 Grand National. In the past someone mentioned Pioneer but that unit just doesn't look right in a Reatta.

..and as if I'm not already asking for too much, anyone know if Delco (or another manufacturer) makes a compatible AM/FM/CD/Bluetooth unit? I find no mention of one made (Reatta compatible) but maybe someone has come across such a unit.

i picked up 1990s Silverado radio, that has the standard 4 plugs on the back for power/speakers but has a extra plug that goes to a Cd player thats mounted seperate, looks like a cd/rom drive you mount in a computer, but they alsos use them in the astros and safari vans too..

Main problem you will have is that the 90/91 Reatta radio opening is 1.5 DIN size ("din and a half). Most aftermarket gear is single DIN or double DIN size (as with most in dash NAV units now). GM and Chrysler used this 1.5 DIN sized opening in many models from late 80's to mid 90's, and there is nothing aftermarket available except for the one rather dated model that Pioneer still makes.

Metra makes build in kits that fill the 1.5 DIN opening and let you mount a single DIN head unit, this gives you much more flexibility in choosing a new radio. That is what I did in my 91, and mounted an Alpine single DIN head unit with CD/MP3 support plus a fairly nice digital display that looks "right" in the Reatta.

The Metra kit I used has a small pocket under the radio for storage (really just to stack a couple of CD's in slimline cases is all it is good for) but it looks better than the other kits that center the radio vertically and leave black plastic filler visible in the dead space above and below the radio.

Anyway, this assumes you want to go aftermarket to begin with. Delco made other models of 1.5 DIN radios, but many have orange/red illumination for use in Pontiacs. Any models used in Buicks or Chevys will have the blue/green illumination and display. Cadillac head units usually had white backlighting for the buttons and a blue/green VFD display.

Unfortunately, there is a limited selection of suitable units with in-board CD players. And if you want more modern conveniences like MP3 support, or a USB input you are out of luck for Delco radios that will fit, which is why I went aftermarket.

If you do a google search for Metra kits (or even go to Crutchfield) you can find mounting kits and harness adapters for using an aftermarket head unit.

KDirk

Guest Richard D

The one I have came out of a Buick GN or a Typhoon or Syclone. There are others that will fit. They plug into existing connectors. Beware of the Pontiac models, they will work but light up in orange/red color

post-61268-14313846077_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
I'm not saying it won't fit but...When you select the Reatta as your vehicle, the following appears below the photos:

1990 Reatta [remove vehicle]

Does not fit

They seem to have screwed up. Retrosound does list it for the '90-95 Riviera - which of course is exactly the same as the Reatta. (Note: the '95 Riviera came with a CDM radio like the earlier '90-'93 Rivs did.)

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Guest reattadan
They seem to have screwed up. Retrosound does list it for the '90-95 Riviera - which of course is exactly the same as the Reatta. (Note: the '95 Riviera came with a CDM radio like the earlier '90-'93 Rivs did.)

Yeah, I think the Retrosound will fit. I was considering this system for my 90 Reatta convertible but I went with the factory Delco unit. I purchased the one that came with the car from someone on Ebay who got the unit out of an olds Toronado. My car still has the slave CD unit in the car along with a broken aftermarket CD/Radio unit. I'm going to remove the broken unit and try to install restore the factory set up and reconnect the slave unit. I just hope the wiring harness is still intact. :eek:

post-100681-143142502439_thumb.jpg

The Delco unit shown has Theftloc. How do you get the radio to work?

I'm interested in an answer to this question also....anybody??

The stereo Marck showed in post #5 was used in the C/K trucks, including Suburbans/Tahoes/Yukons, from '95 onwards. Though the first few years had cassette decks with an optional outboard CD player. (That is the setup my '96 Suburban has.) The Theftlock feature is a problem if the previous owner coded in a secret number. Otherwise it is unlocked.

I have a '99 C/K FSM which documents the steps. Paraphrasing it, the procedure to unlock one is:

- Turn radio and ignition off.

- Depress and hold preset buttons 2 and 3

- Write down the first three digits that appear on the radio display

- Depress AM/FM, write down the second three digits that appear on the display

- Contact Delco Assistance to obtain a "Radio backup code"...

Then:

- Use the hours and minutes buttons on radio and install the 4-digit "Radio backup code"

- Depress the AM/FM button

- "SEC" should display.

- Repeat the last three steps to remove the original owner code.

Guest rewright

- Contact Delco Assistance to obtain a "Radio backup code"...

Unless things have changed. this is the tricky part. Delco assistance will only provide the unlock codes to dealers, and you need an authorized dealer code to obtain the unlock code. There are instructions on the web (Google GM Theftlock) and YouTube that contain the instructions mentioned above but include valid dealer codes. This process makes sense as if anyone could call and defeat the Theftlock, then the system would be pointless.

... I assume they only apply to radios with "TheftLock" written on them?

I won't guarantee that any Delco radio with Theftlock follows the same instructions. But this series ran from '95 to the early 2000s in Chevys, GMCs, and the occasional Escalade. Nowadays they will often actually query the BCM for the VIN of the car and compare it to the expected value.

I wanted Bluetooth and a hands free phone more than the GM look so went with a Clarion that could match the dash illumination. Now have three of them (Jeep already had the capability) & planning one for the Judge.

post-31022-143142505264_thumb.jpg

I wanted Bluetooth and a hands free phone more than the GM look so went with a Clarion that could match the dash illumination. Now have three of them (Jeep already had the capability) & planning one for the Judge.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]247155[/ATTACH]

I really like that stereo. It looks good and the sound has to be better than the delco crap with its roll off bass eq,

Daniel,

Do you know if the low freq rolloff of the stock radio is implemented in the power amp stage or in the preamp stage? I ask as I am thinking of taking the RIM module in my 88 and adding preouts to route the signal to an outboard power amp. While I can tweak things to make up for the rolloff if need be, it'd be great if the preout signal was "pure" or devoid of any unneeded signal processing before it enters the outboard amp.

KDirk

Daniel,

Do you know if the low freq rolloff of the stock radio is implemented in the power amp stage or in the preamp stage? I ask as I am thinking of taking the RIM module in my 88 and adding preouts to route the signal to an outboard power amp. While I can tweak things to make up for the rolloff if need be, it'd be great if the preout signal was "pure" or devoid of any unneeded signal processing before it enters the outboard amp.

KDirk

I believe the eq is prior to the amp on the original cdm. I know that the non-amplified models still have the roll-off built in. This is the manufactures way of being able to use low quality speakers and ensure that they will be able to play at higher volumes, instead of just adding the proper crossovers to each vehicle. I have tried alot of things to fix it with little success. I will be revisiting the issue in the future as I really want to use nothing but the original controls, but it is a couple years out for me.

Walt,

Please PM me with details on the bose module (price, etc.) As I would like one to compare with the original setup.

Daniel-

Thanks for the input. I somehow suspect the rolloff may be in the control amp irrespective of which version of the CDM is used. This would be a feature typically implemented prior to the power stage, but hopefully you are correct.

I know the bose module lacks the EQ and balance controls, so I find it less desirable due to the lack of adjustments vs. the standard one. It may prove useful though.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

...I know the bose module lacks the EQ and balance controls, so I find it less desirable due to the lack of adjustments vs. the standard one. It may prove useful though.

The Bose CDM module does support a balance control - if one plugs it into a head unit that actually has a balance control (e.g., the '90-'91 Reatta head unit.) It is just that Delco, for whatever unknown-to-me reason, chose not to add the balance control on the Bose-specific head units.

On the EQ, when plugged into a EQ head unit, the 60 Hz slider becomes the BASS control and the 10KHz slider becomes the TREBLE control. The middle three sliders are inop.

The Bose CDM module does support a balance control - if one plugs it into a head unit that actually has a balance control (e.g., the '90-'91 Reatta head unit.) It is just that Delco, for whatever unknown-to-me reason, chose not to add the balance control on the Bose-specific head units.

On the EQ, when plugged into a EQ head unit, the 60 Hz slider becomes the BASS control and the 10KHz slider becomes the TREBLE control. The middle three sliders are inop.

When I used a hose unit the controls changed to bass and treble. The others disappeared.

Hmmm. Perhaps this is evidence that there was more than one version of the Bose module. Bose systems were offered for a long time, so a revision or two wouldn't be unexpected.

If balance is supported (but not nccesssarily implemented on the control head) that is a plus IMO. I knew it supported tone controls (no eq, just bass/treble) which is ok but an EQ is better. I could just add an outboard a EQ if needed.

The truncated AM band is of no concern to me, so I could live with that. I think I'll give the bose unit a try.

KDirk

Guest Mc_Reatta

Think there is some confusion going on here. The Bose unit mentioned is a head unit, and has bass and treble built in but no EQ similar to what was standard in a Riviera vs our Reattas. It has no power amp built in, so has to have an external one installed to make the speakers go.

Ronnie, the link you provided is a good option to use with tthe stock radio if no mods to it are desired. I put one of its big brothers (LC6i) into son #2's Reatta and use it to feed a 5 channel power amp + subwoofer. There isn't any bass roll-off any longer.

But a simpler solution is available for those who can work on electronics. We all know about the capacitors that go south and cause the snap crackle and pop in the stock radio. They are located in the signal path between the pre-amp section (which has the volume and eq controls) and the power output amp.

Guess what capacitor in an audio circuit is used for?. They are a high pass filter which block the bass signals but allows the treble signals to go by. The frequencies affected are governed by the value of the capacitor. So by placing those caps in the signal path of the stock radio guarantees that the bass coming from the pre-amp will be attenuated somewhat before it ever makes it to the power amp.

The first thing I would do would be to take those 6 caps out of the radio and tap 6 wires in there to pull the 4 channels out of the module and connect them to an external power amp. That would go a long way to solving the bass roll off issue and give one freedom as to what speakers and subwoofers you want to use to tickle your eardrums. And full control of the unit will still be available via the CRT. (Except independent subwoofer control)

Mc - caps are also used to isolate DC between circuits. I would not advocate bypassing them.

Here is a photo of two CDM modules used in Buicks and Cadillacs of the day. The top one has a heat sink on it and is an "amplified" CDM. The other has a "handle" on it and is a Bose CDM. You can insert a Bose CDM into a non-Bose head unit and vice versa. It doesn't matter whether the head unit is Bose-specific or not.

post-63601-143142512181_thumb.jpg

There are (at least) five different versions of the Bose CDM used in Caddys and Buicks (and probably Olds as well):

1.) '89 for sure, maybe earlier (part #16057156) - multiple boards inside, AM Stereo up to 1620 khz

2.) '90-'91 (part #16087110) - single board, AM (stereo) up to 1620 khz

3.) '92-'93 (part #16141351) - single board, I think AM goes to 1710 khz as Cadillac was advertising AMAX compliance

4.) '94 (part #16147116) - single board, AM definitely goes to 1710 khz

5.) '95 (part #16196186) - single board, slight redesign does not have 10 khz filters in the AM section.

I have experimented with #s 1, 2, 4, and 5.

On a '88-'89 Reatta with the CRT, the CRTCC seems to know which flavor of module is plugged in because Bose was an option on the Riviera. This would correlate with what D-a-n-i-e-l reports.

Note that the same connectors are used. However what would be the speaker connectors on an amplified CDM become low-level outputs on a Bose CDM.

Also note that amplified CDMs come in two flavors: 5-band EQ and BASS/TREBLE. Visually they look identical, and again interchange like the Bose module does. However only the 5-band EQ (and Bose) support AM Stereo.

My small collection of Delco head units, as of a few months ago. (I've added a '95 Riviera unit since then.) Clockwise from the top: '91 Cadillac Bose, '91 Riviera Bose, '89 Cadillac Bose (actually has a working CD player), '93 Lesabre "Bushwacker", '91 Pontiac "Bushwacker", Reatta/Riv CD player.

attachment.php?attachmentid=219300&d=1382286197

BTW, I am open to offers on the Pontiac "Bushwacker" at a "for parts or restoration" price. Has red backlighting.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

When I used a hose unit the controls changed to bass and treble. The others disappeared.