1953 Buick Skylark "Motorama" ?

progoofoff

Mike is a man of few words, and rightly so. ;)

Trunk A/C was available beginning in '53, the radio foot switch in '50.

Anyone at Charlotte (or at any AACA show) who got a First Junior

received a "National First Prize" award, it says so right on the plaque.

The owner should be justifiably proud of his beautiful one-off Buick;

chalk the bit-of-a-stretch write-up to standard auction hype.

TG

hi, my opinion of barrett-jackson, is too many times they make errors about the cars on the auctioning block, my opinion of the 1953 buick skylark two door hardtop concept car, drop dead beautiful car. buick should have put it into production, i was going to say this is a skylark riviera, since all buick hardtops since 1949 were called riviera, what do you think bob, lamar, ???, charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

I think Bob should be on the phone making sure how to put in a phone bid.

I think all the Landau needs now is its beautiful Cobalt Blue paint reflecting the image of beautiful hard top Skylark in it.

I think the only improvement Ned Nickles, Charlie Chayne or Harley himself could have made would have been to put the Riviera french curved roof line of the '54 Roadmaster on the car.

AND, I think Ivan Wiles is probably rolling over in his grave what with the B-J boys calling his wife Mrs WILKES. Give me a break, do they not proof read this crap.

Guest Silverghost

Someone got a great very rare Buick ~~~

I had really expected it to bring much more money !

The timing of this was very late in this auction~~~

Way past prime Saturday auction time.

And they seemed to be in a rush to move it off the auction block quickly.

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest 53Nailhead
Someone got a great very rare Buick ~~~

I had really expected it to bring much more money !

The timing of this was very late in this auction~~~

Way past prime Saturday auction time.

And they seemed to be in a rush to move it off the auction block quickly.

^^^^^^^^^^^

BJ's is a crap shoot....Brett Michaels 69 camaro went for 200K +/-???!!!! WTF:eek:

Guest 53Nailhead
Well it appears they squeezed the car in behind the Ford 302 Mustang that sold for $450K and a commercial. One of the shortest bidding times I have seen. The Skylark brought $115,000.00

Must have been short...I dozed off for a few minutes & missed it :o:D

Had to check their site this a.m. to see what if went for.

Guest my3buicks

As far as i am concerned, that is a bargain for that Skylark Hardtop - to own a documented one of a kind special Buick, plus the 53 Skylark mystic - BARGAIN!!!!

I expected the Skylark to go for a lot more money but at the time it went across the block the auction was all hyped up over Brett Michaels and Bill Goldberg. To my recollection they did not tell the bidders that it was a Prototype or even "1 of 1" as stated on the license plate. It seems more and more that the people with the big bucks get the attention and the rest get swept under the rug. Did you notice that a lot of bidders had a drink cup in their hand? As a bidder, B/J used to give you a drink card and I believe this is in hopes that you get a little loose with your bank account. There was one bidder who looked like he could barely hold his head up much less sign his name after having the winning bid. Remember Scottsdale 2009 when the Black Hawk went across and a private bidder bought it for $522,500 (included the buyers fee)? And Craig Jackson yelled at the driver to shut the engine off. They had it running to show the hardtop coming back up. Then the cloned Superbird went across and while it was for charity they drug it on and on and on to squeeze $501 out of it. These prices were verified on B/J's website. I enjoy watching the cars go across the block but I believe that B/J has done a lot of damage to the collector car hobby and there are a lot more honest auctions out there that appreciated the average car collector. There were 18 Buick's that went across the auction block this week at B/J

Edited by Don McClair (see edit history)

Funny/strange that a car sells in Scottsdale AZ to a new buyer in Charlotte NC.

Where do you think the sellers lived? Last year at Amelia Island I talked to one of the owners Dave Brewer, the other was Kayo Erwin and they were from northern GA.

Just the cost of shipping would put me out of the market for a car like that.

As far as i am concerned, that is a bargain for that Skylark Hardtop - to own a documented one of a kind special Buick, plus the 53 Skylark mystic - BARGAIN!!!!

Agree. Many 53 Skylark convertibles have been sold for far more then that. Granted they are convertibles but this is a rare one.

Really? Well then, I'll see if we can get it displayed at the 2012 National.

OK Brian has promised this car will be there. You heard it here! ;)