3.90 Ring & Pinion interchange for '36 Special

Jolly_John

Can someone give me a direct interchange for a Buick 3.90 ring and pinion set that will fit a 1936 Special?

I've searched the history of similar posts on this site, and most go in the direction of installing later center sections. That is not the information I'm after. Again, I'm thinking of a ring and pinion changeover only, with no machining or modification needed. Thanks for any help on the specific application of 3.90 set I should be looking for. Best, John

I'll watch with interest to see what others offer up.

Everything I have seen in the past indicates there is no simple 39 to 10 bolt up ring and pinion replacement for 36 Specials.

Same problem for 34/35 Specials, some of us have put our names down with Joe KREPP who may have some high speed gears made if enough interest is shown ( 34/35 Specials ).

I don't know if 36 specials will take the same ring and pinion, if they do your best bet is to get on Joes list.

HIGH SPEED GEARS & HUBCAPS

September 17, 2010

Thanks to all of you for your efforts to help make this adventure a success. Hopefully it will also make your Buick more enjoyable for cruising and special events.

We are still trying to locate a manufacturer that will give us a better deal on the quantity and price.

We will not ask for a deposit until we have a contract signed and agreed to. Once the deposit is made you are committed to purchase the gear set you have ordered. There will be no refunds. Payment in full may be made at this time and appreciated.

Please return the following information as requested below to me today at the following e-mail address buicknut@palmnet.net.

If you know anyone who is border line, advise them this will be the last run of the ring and pinion.

WE NEED THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION TO INSURE PROPER COMMUNICATION AND SHIPPING ADDRESSES.

E- Mail Address

Name & Mailing Address (No P.O. Box)

Phone/Fax# (if available)

Year of Car

Model No.

Regards,

Joe Krepps

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

This may be of interest: Torque Tube Jan feb 1996 page 18

http://1937and1938buicks.com/The-Torque-Tube/Volume%20XIV%20Number%203%20%28January-February%201996%29%20%28From%20Dug%20Waggoner%E2%80%99s%20collection%29.pdf

You need to download from www.1937and1938Buicks.com.

There are issues missing from this web site. No idea who is maintaining this web site, but have noticed some missing issues have been added in the last 2 years (even thou the 1937-38 club is defunct)

post-51977-143138393809_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear John:

1938 Specials with the self-shifter transmission have a 47/13 set of gears (3.615-1) as standard. However, since there are so few self-shifters left, it would make hen's teeth look easy.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Thanks for all of the input each of you has given. I appreciate the time you took to help out.

I guess my biggest point of confusion (at least about this topic) comes from the fact that most all of the Buick part numbers for 1936 to 1939 3.90 to 1 ring and pinion sets are different for each year (considering 60 series and 40 series only). Heck, forget about sets....almost all of the 1936 to 1939 3.90 ratio rings and also the pinions have different Buick part numbers.

So, why does a 1937 60 series ring and a pinion have different part numbers than the 1938 60 series ring and pinon of the same ratio? And, of course, all of these part numbers are different than the ring and the pinion numbers for 1936 60 series 3.90.

It sure would be great if some reader of the board could respond from experience, saying "yes, the 1939 (or whatever year) 60 series 3.90 to 1 ring and pinion set bolts right into the 1936 40 and 60 series rear end housing"....or "No, there is no direct interchange".

Thanks again for the effort and time, Guys. John

See, that's the problem I'm trying to get to the bottom of with this posting. All the part numbers shown for the 1936 40 series "high speed job" 3.90 to 1 ring and pinion are different from the part numbers shown for the 1936 60 series 3.90 to 1 ring and pinion. Yet, the 40 and 60 series center section housings are the same.

Buick pre-war "lore" has it that the 60 series 3.90 to 1 ring and pinion sets interchange from 1936 to 1939. In other words, some have said that a 1938 or1939 60 series 3.90 to 1 ring and pinion set will bolt right into a '36 40 series. However, I'm not coming up with anyone (at least yet) who has actually done this. John

• 9 years later...
On 1/5/2011 at 7:50 PM, Jolly_John said:

Thanks for all of the input each of you has given. I appreciate the time you took to help out.

I guess my biggest point of confusion (at least about this topic) comes from the fact that most all of the Buick part numbers for 1936 to 1939 3.90 to 1 ring and pinion sets are different for each year (considering 60 series and 40 series only). Heck, forget about sets....almost all of the 1936 to 1939 3.90 ratio rings and also the pinions have different Buick part numbers.

So, why does a 1937 60 series ring and a pinion have different part numbers than the 1938 60 series ring and pinon of the same ratio? And, of course, all of these part numbers are different than the ring and the pinion numbers for 1936 60 series 3.90.

It sure would be great if some reader of the board could respond from experience, saying "yes, the 1939 (or whatever year) 60 series 3.90 to 1 ring and pinion set bolts right into the 1936 40 and 60 series rear end housing"....or "No, there is no direct interchange".

Thanks again for the effort and time, Guys. John

1939 Buick 40-60 series had the two piece driveshaft.  The ring is the same number 1939-1947 or even later, but the pinion is a different part number.  I think this is because the pinion has to match up to the splines in the rear of the '39 rear driveshaft.

Have you considered an over drive ?     I'm a fan of simplicity and having my Buick capable of driving / cruising 65 mph easily.    Its an easy option to install.    Its a Lloyd Young's design (many years experience)   I installed one in my 1938-46s  in 2015.   Over drive in that car went from a 40 series - 4.44 rear to 3.11 with over drive.    My longest trip  in my '38' was 1800 miles round trip.  I bought a 1935-58 last year and installed an over drive in it.    My '35' has a 4.88 rear,  so with over drive,  I have a 3.40 final ratio.     That should be a 60 / 65 mph car and keep up with the slow traffic.    That will be on the road this summer.   

• 7 months later...
On 1/4/2011 at 10:25 AM, 50jetback said:

I'll watch with interest to see what others offer up.

Everything I have seen in the past indicates there is no simple 39 to 10 bolt up ring and pinion replacement for 36 Specials.

Same problem for 34/35 Specials, some of us have put our names down with Joe KREPP who may have some high speed gears made if enough interest is shown ( 34/35 Specials ).

I don't know if 36 specials will take the same ring and pinion, if they do your best bet is to get on Joes list.

HIGH SPEED GEARS & HUBCAPS

September 17, 2010

Thanks to all of you for your efforts to help make this adventure a success. Hopefully it will also make your Buick more enjoyable for cruising and special events.

We are still trying to locate a manufacturer that will give us a better deal on the quantity and price.

We will not ask for a deposit until we have a contract signed and agreed to. Once the deposit is made you are committed to purchase the gear set you have ordered. There will be no refunds. Payment in full may be made at this time and appreciated.

Please return the following information as requested below to me today at the following e-mail address buicknut@palmnet.net.

If you know anyone who is border line, advise them this will be the last run of the ring and pinion.

WE NEED THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION TO INSURE PROPER COMMUNICATION AND SHIPPING ADDRESSES.

E- Mail Address

Name & Mailing Address (No P.O. Box)

Phone/Fax# (if available)

Year of Car

Model No.

Regards,

Joe Krepps

Did anyone ever get any gears made?  I am looking for a supplier/machine shop that can do it.

I believe the 1936 Special is all by itself in design. It may be closely related to some Olds axles of the time, but those do not have torque tubes, and the pinion would be completely different, so no possibility of interchange with Olds.

I have a 1936 Chevy 1/2 ton Canada-only torque tube rear axle here that I strongly suspect shares the ring and pinion design with 1936 Special, but I have no way to prove it so it wouldn't be worth trying to ship (it's big and heavy).

Ratio is 4.10, and the ring and pinion appear good. If you happen to be close to central Washington State USA, it might be worth coming to get it and see.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

THanks Bloo.  I am looking for a 1938 3.90 set.  I have a 38 66C which has a very worn pinion gear.  I did see on these forums that Joe Krepps may have made some a few years ago, but he sadly passed away.  If anyone can locate a set I would be extremely keen.

• Like 1