1957 Buick Grille Detail

1957buickjim

I am now in the process of cleaning and buffing the grille to my 57 special. However, in a post on another thread, it was noted that the reverse (back) of the grill should be painted Argent. My grille looks like that not only was the reverse painted, but in between the verticals (on the sides) was painted as well. Looking for some confirmation on this. Thanks for your help.

I wonder if the judge thought it was like the protective silver sprayed on the backsides of bumpers. Seems like an unnecessary step in the original manufacturing process. Can you even see the backside of the grille?

Well, obviously on Bob's car you can... :)

Edited by buick5563
Added smart-ass comment for Bhigdog. (see edit history)

Thanks for the info, but it now begs the question...Bob, did you paint the backside of yours after the 1 pt or just say....well, you know what you might say.

Mike, I think you are right, but the plants may be doing that to cover up the fact that it would be cost prohibitive to buff and plate the back side of the grille..or maybe the styling department thought it looks better..or maybe the buyer had a guy who sells silver paint that was his brother in law...who knows why they do something.

On my grille, backside, there is a thin layer of silver paint over the chrome. What I am wondering, is that it looks like this paint also coats the sides of the verticals up to the face of the grille, but also as I am cleaning it from the road dust, I want to make sure that it I am only cleaning the road dust off it. I will repaint it, per Bob's detail, but want ot make sure I know where the paitn should and shouldn't be.

Thanks for the input. Looking forward to hearing more if you know any more.

On my 63 Wildcat there was a matte silver in many places on the grille bar, headlight surrounds, etc. It looks really good with the silver matte with chrome strips, unless it was like mine which was just bug grunge and peeling paint.

Since I don't know 57's, that may be the issue. I will defer to someone who knows.

Mike, I think you are on to something. It may be a styling thing. I have seen the same on a number of vehicles, new and old. That may be the ticket. Just would like to have confirmation without having to pay $3000 for a NOS grille (though if I had the dough, it would be a sweet idea :) )

Jim,

I have a display '37 LaSalle grille in the dining room, with the same treatment as you're talking about; every inch except its face is argent painted. Our '57 grilles should be argent on the "teeth's" sides (inner sides) and back as Bob has indicated. Mine still has most of its argent finish left.

(Wouldn't that NOS grille for 3 grand be nice to have?)!

TG

Guest Rob McDonald

TG, "I have a display '37 LaSalle grille in the dining room..." And here I thought Mike had the dream gig, as trophy husband. Clearly, you are either single or one hot trophy.

Jim:

TG57 is correct. Paint the back side and the ends of the front side with argent. Then using Nevr Dull (trade mark available at your hardware store) wipe the overspray off the chrome teeth. For your info. I have a left side NOS grill half for a 40/60 series. It is not prefect, but the one ding is small and on the back side.

Thanks for the info, but it now begs the question...Bob, did you paint the backside of yours after the 1 pt or just say....well, you know what you might say.

Mike, I think you are right, but the plants may be doing that to cover up the fact that it would be cost prohibitive to buff and plate the back side of the grille..or maybe the styling department thought it looks better..or maybe the buyer had a guy who sells silver paint that was his brother in law...who knows why they do something.

On my grille, backside, there is a thin layer of silver paint over the chrome. What I am wondering, is that it looks like this paint also coats the sides of the verticals up to the face of the grille, but also as I am cleaning it from the road dust, I want to make sure that it I am only cleaning the road dust off it. I will repaint it, per Bob's detail, but want ot make sure I know where the paitn should and shouldn't be.

Thanks for the input. Looking forward to hearing more if you know any more.

As to my painting it after the fact, I just said what you might imagine I would say. The point is the little twerp found it in writing somewhere. Since it would be damn near impossible to mask the inside of the teeth I'm pretty sure the inside and back are both painted. It's very difficult to tell. The judges looked from every angle and scratched their collective butts for about 5 minutes trying to decide if it was indeed painted or not. They finally just asked me if I had painted the rear argent. Being clueless I said "no". BINGO, 1 point deduction. If I had known, I simply would have declined to answer and let them figure it out without touching anything..............Bob

I have to imagine it would be very difficult to tell the difference between raw pot metal and argent paint when it's behind the grill. Although if you have the grille out, then paint the back at an angle so you hit the insides and avoid most of the front chrome side.

Completely cover the grill face with masking tape. Spray at an angle. Spray just naturally hates to go into corners. Any clean up needed can be done with a light rub of fine compound or Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner.............Bob

Don't know where you would find it but some smart ass kid of a judge did find it somewhere and that knocked my car down to 398 points............Bob

Poor form Bob. Very poor form.

When you should be impressed that your car scored a 398 out of 400 and you learned something you didn't know about your car, you stoop to name calling and intimidation.

Your car is absolutely beautiful and you did a great restoration. But no one knows everything about everything, no matter how old they may be.

This is the kind of age-ism that keeps younger people out of the club. How often is it that you find a person who knows much about anything that came a generation before they were born. Shame on you for your sour attitude toward someone who tried to make the hobby better.

Lighten up, Dominic. I'm not now, nor was I then, the least bit up upset. The adjetives were used tongue in cheek. That being said, the car was already scored then the judges came back and took another look at the grill after I was ratted out by a judge who was not on the original team. It took about about 5 minutes for him to convince them they had missed the grill lacking paint or that it even should be painted. Now THATS poor form. But, like I said, I didn't lose a seconds sleep over it. BTW I just found the score sheet and it's marked as the sides of the grill teeth not being painted. Not the back. So fore warned is fore armed for those guys still doing a restoration.

In the interest of full disclosure my score was 395 not 398. I forgot that I got gigged for having fan belts with grooves and a paint scuff in the trunk.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Very interesting discussion! Out of curiosity I looked at a NOS 1955 grill in my closet (it is NOS and never installed, but has casting defects in the poor chrome on the front face---I always found better used ones) and it too is painted with a dull silver paint on the backside and in the mesh. That will maybe save a re-plating cost on a grill that has a decent front face, but some pits/bubbles in the mesh...just smooth them out and paint. I wonder if there is powder coat that will duplicate that finish since rattle can silver will not hold up to bug juice.

Willie

Well guys, I guess the jury is in. I just finished painting the Argent on the backside and sides of the grille. Wow, does it make the chrome on the front stand out! Followed Bob's approach with masking off the whole front. Painted the inside and sides with Eastwood Argent..nice matte finish like the original. However, I trimmed the masking tape between the teeth and painted it also from the front to ensure full coverage on the sided of the teeth. Really looks nice. I do appreciate all the input from all of the gang out there on this.This sure is a lively thread.

PS..Mike we will get you to the darkside soon...I see a 57 in your future...:)

I am truly stunned. I just went to the garage to take pics for Mudbone and decided to check the 55 grille I bought to use on my convertible project and it is indeed painted in the honeycomb and behind. I would have lost that bet.

Thanks for starting this thread, it will make a difference in my restoration.

Well guys, it looks like another Buick mystery is uncovered. It is nice that the forum and knowledge base that reads and responds to these posts is 99% of the time extremely useful information as to restoring our vehicles. I like TG's idea of the grille (extra) becoming artwork. What a great idea for the garage.

My thanks to all that responded, and to Bhigdog, for his initial post on this way back when, because that is what got me started on this crazy kick to acquire this knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...
and this silver matte finish is applied to the sides and back of each of the 100 aluminum grill teeth?

And all 104 if you have a Super or Roadmaster! :)

The LaSalle grille is in the corner, and reflects in a wall-size mirror beautifully...

37_lasalle_grille_483679.jpg

Larger

It's an early take-off, just waiting for me to find a car to go with it.

Fat chance that'll happen anytime soon.

TG

Nice addition TG! Great idea for MOMA in NYC..car parts as art!:). As for the post on the Argent paint, I used Eastwood Argent, for GM Wheels. It has the same gloss level as the original paint and has pretty even colorations and dries fast. I used rattle cans. I am quite sure that Dupli-Color has a similar product that is not so pricey, but check the gloss. The Eastwood is in between a semi gloss and satin finish.

Guest Rob McDonald

TG, wait 'til wifey sees your wall art! She'll be hounding me to build that gas fireplace I promised her, with one of my spare Series 50-70 grilles as a radiator. Must check now if Eastwood sells a heat-resistant version of Argent.