Hemmings

I knew that Hemmings was recently sold, but now I am hearing rumors that it is going out of business. Does anyone know anything about this?

Guest BruceW

wow... just so happens... after being a subscriber since the late 1970s.. including a First Class subcriber for a number of years (given to me as an annual Christmas gift), I also finally stopped my subscription. Hemmings is a great source for cars and parts, but the subcription cost was no worth the amount of times it had something I needed for my cars and trucks. <P>Maybe just one of us wouldn't put them out of business... but I am seeing a trend here. Wonder how many others decided not to renew their subscription? Maybe there is truth to the rumor? shocked.gif" border="0

I dropped my subscription a few years ago when I found I had three unopened copies [still in the plastic] on the shelf when the fourth one arrived. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>Now I just pick up one or two copies a year at the newsstand and save a few bucks. It has becone like a soap opera, you can be away for months and when you come back you find nothing has changed. frown.gif" border="0 <P>I hate to sound like an old phart in this, but I have to agree with 1937, the glory years may well be behind us. frown.gif" border="0 <P>But of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong. ~ hvs

Amen Brother! John Packard you said it all.<P> On the subject of Hemmings; I feel they shot themselves in the foot with their web site. E-Commerce is one of many lifes mysteries to me. Perhaps some one can explain how a publishing business can publish its products content free of charge on the internet and expect to sell the same service in hard copy for a charge of $3/mo. <P> I too allowed my subscription to lapse this year. The reason was health related though.<P> Tom

I haven't heard any confirmation here (or anywhere else) of Terry's rumor. Has anyone checked this out? <P>eBay is a great resource, as long as nooone stiffs you for what you're auctioning ( mad.gif" border="0 ) or mis-described what you've bought ( mad.gif" border="0blush.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0 ), but I find it very hard to believe it'll replace Hemmings. I don't know how they could possibly go broke posting all of the ads they still get!

Tom, I don't understand most of the enternet either. I do know that eBay has changed the flea market, and print ad market forever. Who wants to lug a truck load of stuff to a fleamarket that may get rained on or out. The reality is that if you sell at a flea market the most you can hope to get for an item is what you ask. An auction allows the bidders to set the final price. Hemmings had the established name, but nobody to setup a workable on line auction.

Guest BruceW

Tom,<P>In regards to your comment about Hemming's website...<P>I have not been to Hemming's site since it first opened... but I thought that the ads contained on the sight were only a small sampling of the total ads in the book.. or thats how it used to be. I could be mistaken tho.<P>I think the biggest problem with subcription is how big the Hemmings magazine has gotten. Just just the shear size of the publication (with its corresponding cost) compared to the actual usefulness to the average hobbyest is the biggest factor.<P>The current Hemmings magazine must be about 600 to 800+ pages (I dont have a recent one handy to check - based roughly on a 650 page issue from a few years ago). Unless you are a full time restoration business that is ocnstantly on the look for needed parts, it is just gotten too big for the average hobbyist.<P>My 31 Ford is mostly original and doesn't really need anything ..unless I apen to find a neat rare accessory.<P>My 35 Ford pickup needs a total restoration but parts for a 35-37 Ford pickup may pop up about every 4-5 months maybe. (except for the reproduction parts you can buy any day at a vendor) and usually what I already have. <P>There are however, plenty of parts listed here and there for my 57 Chevrolet pickup...but it doesnt need anything I can't live without.<P>So here is a publication of over 600 pages for every sort of car, street rod, kit car, and tractors imaginable... and I may be seriously interested in 10 pages or so. The last time I found something that I actually wanted to buy was years ago. Because of this..I couldnt justify the cost of subcription anymore.<P>I believe a similar reason is why many don't feel the subcription is worth persuing anymore.. am I correct?<p>[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: BruceW ]

My two bits to continue the trend: I dropped my subscription years ago when I found, like hvs, that I was not reading them. A copy or two per year purchased at the local news stand is all I need (or want).<P>I find the marque specific club magazines are much more likely to have listings for what I need.

I cancelled my subscription several years ago for two main reasons. First, any parts advertised at bargain or even fair prices were already sold to those receiving the very pricey "White Cover" issues. The First Class Mail subscriptions were received at least a week before I received mine by regular mail. frown.gif" border="0 <P>Second, it seemed that a trend began for a vendor to list a whole bunch of parts for sale with no prices listed and only an area code and phone number. I refuse to run up my phone bill trying to chase down some jerk who probably wants twice the going price for a part of questionable quality.<P>It also seemed to me that Hemmings has tried to become the answer to ALL phases of the auto-related hobby. They began with a really neat "Abandoned Cars" calendar showing nice pictures of antique cars abandoned in their natural settings. Their calendar list today includes Abandoned Trucks, Old Trucks, Muscle Cars, Cars of the 50's, Street Rods.... and the list goes on!<P>It became obvious to me that they ended up just chasing a buck and had lost interest in serving the old car hobby! rolleyes.gif" border="0

I had already decided not to renew my current subscription when it expires. I to find that I read the letters and look at the cars for sale on the models I like just to see whats available out of curiosity. Then I set it on the shelf with the old copies. I don't spend 15 minutes with it. If you are using it to find parts as many of you have pointed out you really only need 1 or 2 copies a year, as most ads reappear every month. Having pointed all this out I really hate to see it go if it's true!

Ron,<P>I received the pricey "White Cover" for a couple of years. It was an annual Christmas Gift from Di when I was really into looking for parts. It always arrived at my house on the 23rd of the month before the issue month. So the First Class was probably being received more like 2 weeks before the 4th class. It was only late one time (came on the 24th) and was at waiting for me when I got home from work. Even still...I could call people up on the evening of the 23rd and parts were already sold.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

I was given a gift subscription Christmas 2000 and told my brother not to renew it, never read it in a timely manner. I agree w/ several DF'ers that it is not what it once was. shocked.gif" border="0

Guest Randy Berger

I let my subscription lapse last year - didn't want to do it but most parts were of little value to me. I think there is a trend here. frown.gif" border="0

After being a faithful subscriber for almost 40 years, I finallly decided not to renew. The same as many others found, the parts were sold before I received subscription, or it was the same parts for several months. The prices were starting to get out of hand amd the average restorer was unable to afford that NOS part. I have a bunch of old Hemmings from the mid sizties, what a joy to read and see some of the prices, when it was still a hobby.<P>JIm Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

My subscription to HMN this year cost me a bundle. I had to get new glasses to read the danged thing! Maybe thats our trouble - as we get older, the print gets smaller???<BR>Terry rolleyes.gif" border="0

It's surprising to see how many of us have abandoned good 'ol Hemmings. It's pretty obvious that folks like 1937hd45 should enjoy the marketing changes in the hobby. The new technology certinly makes his life more pleasant. I'll cheerfully admit that i'm probably an Oddball in this respect: I HATE auctions. Swap meets kinda leave me non-plussed at best. That leaves printed advertising, on line sales, and brick & mortar dealers. All my transactions with dealers both buying & selling, have been positive. I certainly can't say the same when dealing with individuals. Even friends can turn into jerks when money is involved. <P> As a point of historical interest; I'm looking at a February 1971 issue of Hemmings now. It is 125 pages, has 58,000 subscribers, and its 3rd class annual subscription cost is $2.75. <P> An earlier post stated that the bulk of Hemmings revenue is derived from ads. That has always been the case I'm sure. But you can rest assured they certainly recovered their production and mailing costs via subscription and news stand sales. Historically, advertising costs were established by citing circulation numbers. I wonder how any E-Commerce hosts like Hemmings, can justify their advertising charges on an electronic media. I suppose they can quote the number of "hits" their site received but many of those visitors are not qualified buyers like you find with a traditional paper media subscriber.<P> It would be interesting reading if some one out there has some comparative metrics they gathered from their experience with both paper and electronic media. <BR> Finally;every thread needs a conspiracy theory just for grins, right? How about the U.S.P.O. has placed a higher priority on the delivery of pizza coupons than it does on paid subscription materials? Thus; the demise of mailed subscriber materials. Or does it just look that way in my zip code?<P> Tom

Several years ago I won an auction for some early issues of Hemmings. They once belonged to Henry Austin Clark Jr., and there is a copy of his 1957 subscription letter. One year cost $1.00, postage per issue was two cents,with 20 pages 7x8 1/2. I'll spare you the reading any of the ads.

1937hd45,<P> What was Hemmings circulation in 1957? Just think; that was 45 years ago and the "new" cars made that year can still maintain the pace with contemporary traffic. Whereas very few cars that were 45 years old in 1957 even had electric starters. My how times change.<P> Tom

On the other hand, with my last renewal I got a free ad and placed one for a part I had been searching for for 10 years. The day after Hemmings was received I had an email and got the part. <P>Yes I tend not to read them very often, but I think it still has a place in the multitude of other publications I receive (and also don't read very often. blush.gif" border="0

Hi Folks, I'd hate to say it but think we got away from the original question. The question is did Hemmings get sold and if so will there be any changes? Hemmings is the hub of the wheel for many of us car collectors (no I don't work for Hemmings)and to see it disappear would be horrible. I hope that Hemmings can still keep going just like it has for many years to come..

Hemmings seems to be doing business as usual. They are continuing to supply items for local swap meets, and it is my understanding have expressed interest in providing for future swap meets. If they are doomed, it seems their marketing folks either don't know, or aren't ready to admit it.<P>Rich

Wow, I guess there is a time for everyone to let go of tradition but life without Hemmings! For a lot of us it still is a source for finding cars, parts, etc. and finding other auto related sources. I can not wait every month to open my issue hopeing to finally find one of the cars i am searching for to finally be for sale! Still seems to be the "bible" for a lot of us folks that want to get that one "last" car! Yes, it is a little expensive first class but what isn't in this hobby anyway. I've only had to sacrifice food in order to keep up with it!