History Channel gets two new shows

Guest Paul Christ

Guest Paul Christ

For those of you who are familiar with Pawn Stars, Rick Dale will be getting his own show. Rick Dale owns Rick's Restorations in Las Vegas, and he is the guy who restores the old rusty stuff that the Pawn Stars buy. Could be interesting.

The History Channel will also be airing the new American version of Top Gear. Can't wait for this one!

Hopefully it will be more focused on restoration. There are already enough shows on chopping and customizing. But I suspect that is the direction it will head.

I agree completely, I would like to see actual restoration but will bet it will de-volve into chopping and slamming. Ugh.

The show is reported to be called "American Restoration" and will debut on Monday, Oct. 25th sometime between Pawn Stars and American Pickers.

I do hope that it is actually about restoration, but tend to doubt that sort of show would last long. Just like American Chopper...it's all about the drama. There is maybe 10 minutes of actual bike building that happens in a 60 minute episode. The same thing happened with the now defunct American Hot Rod series.

Quite frankly I've been disappointed by what I've seen Rick do on Pawn Stars. There is the infamous Coke machine incident, for example, in which a really rough Vendo machine was swaped out for a much less interesting Cavalier machine (not even from the same decade) all while Rick is on air claiming to have completely restored the exact same machine they dropped off. The same thing has happened with multiple gas pumps...drop one off, pick up a completely different make and model later in the same episode that is supposed to have been "restored." It's his reputation, I guess, but he did manage to get a show of his own, so what do I know?

His motorcycle restoration that has been done for Pawn Stars really hasn't been so great either. I've seen a couple of those bikes in person. They run and are repainted, but that's about the extent of the "restoration" on them.

I'd like to see what Rick is really capable of and hope that the show goes in that direction.

I just watched the trailer clip and it looks like their restoration will not be car-oriented, but dealing with other collectables. The trailer clip included a scooter, bicycle, Pepsi machine, Kelvinator refrigerator, gas pump, and the like. May be interesting and easier to fit into one episode than a car.

Guest Silverghost

Hey Guys...

You have to remember that they are all "TV Shows"!

Just designed for your entertainment & to get ratings and sponsors ...

You don't really think all those rare and historically important items just happen to walk into Rick's Pawn Shop now do you ???

That other new Pawn Shop show is more of a true reality !

I dislke their arrogant attitude and will not watch this new "Hardcore Pawn Show" any more.

At least the Las Vegas Pawn Stars "TV Show" is entertaining & interesting !

Get rid of Chumlee !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Hey Guys...

You have to remember that they are all "TV Shows"!

Just designed for your entertainment & to get ratings and sponsors ...At least the Las Vegas Pawn Stars "TV Show" is entertaining & interesting !

Get rid of Chumley !

Chumlee (correct spelling) is the show. I don't appreciate the (probably intentional) dimwit act either, but without him the show falls apart (or at best becomes a 3-item Antiques Roadshow episode). Rolling Stone magazine even did a short profile on him (9/16/10 issue, p. 55).

One item that Rick Dale restored that really made me mad was the episode where he completely redid a late 1930s Coke Machine salesman's sample. It was (on TV) gorgeous when he was done, but he started with an original item that arguably had more patina than actual wear or damage. I'm no miniture expert, but I'd be willing to bet he actually devalued that item by restoring it.

I hope he's more prudent than that on his own show.

And don't get me started on the 350 1969 Skylark "muscle car" episode!:rolleyes:

he started with an original item that arguably had more patina than actual wear or damage. I'm no miniture expert, but I'd be willing to bet he actually devalued that item by restoring it.

Dave, in looking at the trailer I thought exactly the same thing--that some of those items were probably more desirable before than after. But of course on TV bright and shiney is what will attract viewers I guess. I probably wont watch anyway as I have had enough reality TV.

Guest Silverghost

What really is "Reality TV" ?

I cannot believe that any of these so-called shows are "Reality" !

As for Chumlee...

I don't buy into his dim-whit act !

What we really need is a "Reality Show" about restoring & collecting & showing Real Antique cars !

Chasing Classics was as close as I have seen to reality & antique collectable cars!

It's not aired very often on Phila Comcast ...

My Classic Car with Dennis Gauge has morphed into a Hotrod/Steetrod show that is now 1/2 infomercial trying to sell us products and services !

There are very few real "Antique Cars" on his show now ...

With the possible exception of Jay Leno's great "Garage" collection segments !

I hope he keeps Jay's segments comming more often !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Leave poor Chumlee along!!!!!!!!!!!! Ricks son Big Hoss is supposedly Chumlees friend for years. If that's a friend then Chumlee does need enemies.

My Classic Car with Dennis Gauge has morphed into a Hotrod/Steetrod show that is now 1/2 infomercial trying to sell us products and services !

There are very few real "Antique Cars" on his show now ...

With the possible exception of Jay Leno's great "Garage" collection segments !

I hope he keeps Jay's segments comming more often !

I agree completely.

Unfortunate that the show is now reduced to mostly gushing over street rods and commercial products. Not to mention that reflection of the word "Classic" to the casual viewer.

BUT I really enjoy the Jay Leno's garage and hope for more of that. Todd C

I for one would like to see them get back to their original routes with shows about history, cars, military operations, stories of American founders and other such as those that made America great. Not the current shows such as Ice Road Truckers etc. Where is the history in this?

Chasing Classic Cars is the best "Collector Car" show out there, and I'm glad he has a few, true Pre WWII Classics now and then. I'm amazed that Las Vegas is home to an "Expert" on everything collectable and only minutes away from the Pawn Stars Shop, and happy to do free appraisals. This allows Rick to pay half the stated value, and maybe make a profit. It is good TV, wonder how far away people travel to get a shot at selling something?

Watched Rick Dale and his new show American Restorations, looks like a WINNER. Drama and BS was kept to a limit, they actually showed how some stuff was done, things moved along nicely, no deadline BS like most car/bike shows. Sounds like he was knowledgeable on all the items that came in. I thought I did real well hiting every estimate dead on both restoration labor and finished value. I wish them well.

Guest 1969dan

I work second shift, so I had to wait until 1:00 am to see this, not too shabby! I really liked the Hop-Along-Cassidy bike. that was cool.

Not too bad overall. It certainly beats most "reality shows"... Very good points about how many people have no idea the effort involved in restoring these things. We have done some non automotive restorations (gas pump, Keystone toys) and it is not unlike a mini auto restoration. These projects were painted professionally and the pro has to make a living - it is not cheap, but the work is the same.

We do not have HD so my exposure to "Chasing Classic Cars" has been minimal, although the host is based out of Portland, CT and we recently had a club event there. He was very nice, and basically said they do not act out any drama for the show, and basically the TV people follow his activities throughout the day and trash 95% of it, using the rest to make the show. (I have seen short bits via internet) Good news is he indicated that the show will be moving to "regular cable" and not just HD, greatly adding the exposure.

Bob, not sure if you are familliar with his shop but the show basically reflects his interests, heavy into older sports and exotics, but also into brass and Full Classics. He had some fantastic cars in the shop, representing mostly the categories above. BTW - went by your place a couple times at Hershey, and finally signed the "HAMB" banner...

I believe AACA is working on a TV project due out soon?

Watched the show last night, and it was more just a take off of the Pawn Stars format. Really nothing inventive. On the show they kept talking about "attention to detail" then they proceed on the bicycle to replace slotted screws for phillips, and phillips screws for rivets. And the painting on the little faux gas tank looks like a job I would do, not too good. Oh well, it was a little entertainment, but mindless.

Guest Silverghost

Steve:

I've got a new "Reality show" idea for you to pitch to the cable TV network big-wigs.

The working title~

Chasing Steve Moskowitz ~

The many Trials and Tribulations of being the Antique Automobile Club of America Executive Director !

On the chasing cars show, it's always fun to watch him "pretend" to work on cars. I don't think in real life he does much restoration.

It's like many of these shows, though, there's about 10 minutes total of interesting stuff, the rest is going back and forth, repeating things, and the clips that are run over and over of him talking about the chase are maddening.

It is interesting what Pawn Stars has walk in the shop.

And, have you noticed that on American Pickers, after the uproar of the first episode (when they "took advantage" of an old veteran), that they actuall now shell out pretty good money for items......

Hi David, I think he actually does or at least did get his hands dirty regularly. As said, my frame of reference is the shop tour, not the show, but the shop has been there for years and both Wayne and his dad were active members of CCR AACA, we are working on getting them back... If he is more hands off now I can understand it, but that was not always the case.

He is clearly into the "hunting" aspect of things and he really enjoyed talking about that.

When we went there the shop had quite a few cars in various stages of restoration, and his own collection is fairly extensive. I believe he has raised a lot of money for autism research, which is admirable.

Also, he attends a lot of our local shows here in CT, which to me proves he is a true car guy. He is suggesting a way to improve our annual car show by encouraging some cars to have "open seating" to let kids check them out up close. I am volunteering next year and so are some others, kind of like "open cockpit day" at our local air museum. We hope to get him to help promote the show if scheduling permits...

I think this is a good show for the hobby, would also be nice to see something really restoration or history oriented...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Well, I stand corrected, it's great to hear that he's a real "car guy." I got a kick out of the one episode with the Duesenberg, where his mechanic turns a handle under the hood that says "on off." I did the same thing to a friend's Duesenberg, in his driveway, in front of his very nice house, and we discovered, as did the show, that it was the oil drain!

I also watched with interest the one on the Davis three wheeler, as I used to own one. I even emailed him that I have an original "Davis" emblem....but I'm going to keep it so didn't matter.

Thanks for clearing it up, sounds like he's a good guy!

Seems it anyway, David. He had the Davis at a few local shows this summer, a rather unusual ride for sure. Always driven in but you never know if a trailer is lurking nearby...

If it is the episode I think it is (remember, no HD yet in our household..) he gets one running for a friend/customer. The Duesenbergs are local cars also, the Tourster as you know, is pretty unusual. Owner had it at a show a couple years ago (before he had Wayne & co. get it running again) just out of storage and it had to be pushed into position and then moved off the field because he had not yet gotten it running again.

Does anyone know when Chassing Classic Cars is on her in Connecticut? i think I cought 4-5 shows then it somehow disappeared. i know there are more shows filmed, a friend has had a few walkons in a few shows. I've never met Wayne, but he does own a great 3 liter Bentley I worked on years ago.

Bob, he told us the show has been "sampled" on the non-HD Discovery channel, probably where you have seen it, and it is slated to move there. I thought he said at some point this fall but I could be mistaken. Apparently it was the highest rated new show on Discovery HD and run several times per week. We have yet to spring for HD - they charge plenty for cable as it is!!

Steve:

I've got a new "Reality show" idea for you to pitch to the cable TV network big-wigs.

The working title~

Chasing Steve Moskowitz ~

The many Trials and Tribulations of being the Antique Automobile Club of America Executive Director !

Now this made me laugh and within seconds, I came up with a more suitable title for Steve's TV show.

Whiners and Diners

Because ever since he moved here, he's done nothing but complain to all of us about our PA Dutch cooking and not being able to find a good place to eat! ;)

Hmm, up until now I had full confidence in Mr. Moskowitz - PA Dutch cooking and plenty of it is part of the highlight of visiting the kid attending college in the Lancaster area and of course, Hershey.

Everybody knows that no steak the size of a business card is fuel enough to walk tirelessly "chasing classic parts!"...

Here's how I decide to whether watch a new auto-related show or not:

• Heavy guitar licks - deduct 10 points,
  • Over the top tatoo's and piercings - deduct 10 points,
  • Baseball caps worn backwards for appearance, not practicality - deduct 10 points,
  • Working against a unrealistic time schedule - deduct 10 points,
  • Any sub plot surrounding the participants in the show that has no relevence - deduct 10 points
  • Arguing, strife, bad language and just plain boorish behavior - deduct 10 points.

Well there you have it. Start with 100 points, if the show can't make say 80 points - click!

And by the way, I retain the right to add more points to each category as I 'dern well please and I usually do....

See you all in TV-Land (maybe...)

Explain this to us, were does one find BAD Pennsylvania Dutch cooking? Shoo Fly Pie is a breakfast food IMO, good after lunch and dinner too.

Now this made me laugh and within seconds, I came up with a more suitable title for Steve's TV show.

Whiners and Diners

Because ever since he moved here, he's done nothing but complain to all of us about our PA Dutch cooking and not being able to find a good place to eat! ;)

Believe it or not our local butcher shop still sells about 40 hog maws a week. Pa Dutch cuisine is still alive and well. I am surprised that McDonalds doesn't sell scrapple and red beet eggs yet. Just had delicious chicken pot pie last night. You know it's authentic Pa Dutch if it has no "pie" crust and is cooked in a pot, not the oven. And who doesn't love the occasional slice of slightly sour yet tasty pigs feet souse? I credit our good luck with antique cars to our eating of pork and sauerkraut every New Year's Day. Would no sooner miss that traditional luck bestowing repast than I would miss Hershey. Some traditions should not be messed with!

Guest Jim_Edwards
Here's how I decide to whether watch a new auto-related show or not:

• Heavy guitar licks - deduct 10 points,
  • Over the top tatoo's and piercings - deduct 10 points,
  • Baseball caps worn backwards for appearance, not practicality - deduct 10 points,
  • Working against a unrealistic time schedule - deduct 10 points,
  • Any sub plot surrounding the participants in the show that has no relevence - deduct 10 points
  • Arguing, strife, bad language and just plain boorish behavior - deduct 10 points.

Well there you have it. Start with 100 points, if the show can't make say 80 points - click!

And by the way, I retain the right to add more points to each category as I 'dern well please and I usually do....

See you all in TV-Land (maybe...)

This system should be sent to every darn network programming executive on the planet. It could also be easily altered to apply to most all of the stupid so called reality shows. One has to wonder just how anyone other than an absolute airhead would waste time viewing most of them more than five minutes into the first show. "CLICK"