Just how bad can a vehicle be before its considered unrestorable

junkyardjeff

OK, Jeff, I only speak for myself but you are here a lot and have a few common misunderstandings that I would like to touch on, hopefully others can step forward too. .....

.....And our ranks are shrinking, so maybe in 20 years we will all be gone, but until then the AACA is our last refuge to respect originality and not ridicule it. That is how I feel anyway, Todd

I feel the same way Todd. It is what it is. The AACA mission is to preserve antique vehicles of ALL kinds, as they could have come from the factory, be they good originals, restored, HPOF or DPC. Period.

We as members strive to uphold the mission of the AACA.

There are other wonderful clubs and organizations for folks that want their vehicle to be what they want it to be, in whatever form they choose.

Guest Dean_H.

You do great work bill! I would have thought that car was too far gone to restore. It's amusing to see the tractor radiator grafted on the front end, in your original picture. Nice job, it'll be a beauty when you finish.

It's amusing to see the tractor radiator grafted on the front end, in your original picture.

Hey. I reconize that radiator. It is from a Farmall Regular, or F-20. LOL.... Say, the restoration is looking good! :D Dandy Dave!

Susan, few, if any coffin nosed Cords have the original heads, or exact copies of them. Dito for the front end drive system that has been slightly modified to make them reliable. Many Classic cars have modified rear end gears to make them drivable at modern speeds.

All premass production cars are not painted by brush and lacquer using multiple steps. There are many elements of cars that are not original that AACA accepts.

Correct Dave, there are modifications/additions that the AACA accepts and they are for the most part well known to be accepted and many are listed in judges training materials and the Judges Guidelines book. Even the DPC class has standards that must be met to be able to show in that class.

But they don't accept cobbled together vehicles like JYJ is talking about where he and others change things because they wanted them changed or just want them back on the road.

There are so many things to consider when trying to decide on whether to bring a vehicle back to its original status or forget about it.

How rare is the vehicle? What will my budget allow? Can I do most of the work myself, or should I have the work done professionally? Are parts available, or do I have to custom make items? How long can I have it sitting in pieces before time is not on your side? What will it be worth when completed? Many more questions could be asked, these are just a few.

We have all been down this road at some time in our lives, and I feel that if its dead and hopeless, leave it be and search for somethig better suited. The older I get the less I want to tackle nasty restorations which can end up being a huge money pit.

Just an opinion.

Skip in MN.

There are so many things to consider when trying to decide on whether to bring a vehicle back to its original status or forget about it.

How rare is the vehicle? What will my budget allow? Can I do most of the work myself, or should I have the work done professionally? Are parts available, or do I have to custom make items? How long can I have it sitting in pieces before time is not on your side? What will it be worth when completed? Many more questions could be asked, these are just a few.

We have all been down this road at some time in our lives, and I feel that if its dead and hopeless, leave it be and search for somethig better suited. The older I get the less I want to tackle nasty restorations which can end up being a huge money pit.

Just an opinion.

Skip in MN.

I agree. I know a guy who is restoring a '40 Dodge convertible. This car was so rotted that the front crossmember had to be replaced in the frame, and there is about 6 inches of tin welded all the way around the bottom of the car to include remaking the body mounts, floor boards, and trunk. This guy has paid over $20,000 just in welding and fabrication work, and he would've been farther ahead to pay $20,000 for a car that had an older restoration and taken it down to the frame and started over.

There does come a time where you can't take a piece of $h!t and turn it into a chocolate cream pie:o:o:o

But knowing this guy, once the car is restored, he'll probably become a judge and be the biggest knitpicker for everyone else. This guy is so anal on meeting Walter P. Chrysler club standards that he's having the frame painted with the right percentage of gloss yet turned around and had the body painted base/clear. If this car ever shows up on a showfield at a WPC event, he's going to lose, and he'll be the first one to point fingers and blame the guy who did the restoration.

Don't get me wrong, the car will be fine for AACA standards, but when it's all said and done, it will have been more cost effective to buy a car in better shape, and restore it all over again. Dollar for dollar he'd have had a nicer car.

I had a rare 39 plymouth sedan delivery that I wish I kept now,it was very rough but now that I have a computer I could of located the sheetmetal to repair it since it shared most with a 4 door. I was going to keep it original except for a hopped up six and a 38 chrysler/desoto floor shift overdrive trans but the city got on me for too many vehicles so it had to go,I am at the point now where I had all my other cars driveable and if it took me 15 years to get it done it would be no problem. I am now looking for a 40 Ford and do not want a big rust bucket and willing to spend a little more for a nicer one as I am not getting any younger and a little concerned aboout my health holding out.

I must be weird.I like all cars in just about any form.Restored to original,unrestored original,street rod,resto rod,jalopy,junkers that will never see the road again.I'm a car nut and will be to the end of my days.I have met great people from all the segments of the hobby and can chat with any group and feel comfortable.

As to the context of this thread,I dont believe there is a car that cannot be brought back but as car/truck enthusiasts we should embrace any way it is brought back.We dont have to be thrilled about it but I dont think shunning it(or the owner) does much good.The belief that they stay true to AACA thinking is valid here but not all car owners share this enthusiasm.As to the rodders...I spend considerable time talking to those rodding cars and getting them sell or give the parts being discarded to folks who need them.MOST are more than happy to see the parts end up in the hands of a enthusiast of the marque.My 2 cents

I dont feel so lonely around here anymore since there is another that thinks like me,we are in the minority here.

I must be weird.I like all cars in just about any form.Restored to original,unrestored original,street rod,resto rod,jalopy,junkers that will never see the road again.I'm a car nut and will be to the end of my days.I have met great people from all the segments of the hobby and can chat with any group and feel comfortable.

As to the context of this thread,I dont believe there is a car that cannot be brought back but as car/truck enthusiasts we should embrace any way it is brought back.We dont have to be thrilled about it but I dont think shunning it(or the owner) does much good.The belief that they stay true to AACA thinking is valid here but not all car owners share this enthusiasm.As to the rodders...I spend considerable time talking to those rodding cars and getting them sell or give the parts being discarded to folks who need them.MOST are more than happy to see the parts end up in the hands of a enthusiast of the marque.My 2 cents

You can buy an antique Chevy. Then join the Cadillac club. You can tell all the Cadillac club members that you cannot afford a Cadillac and you have to have a Chevy. You can them tell them how your Chevy is simlar to or better than their Cadillacs. You can tell them it is better to have a Chevy that you fixed up with whatever parts instead of a Cadillac sitting and rotting in a field. You will probably not find many people to agree with you there. Or you could join the Chevy club and find lots of people that agree with you. Of course it is possible to own both a Chevy and a Cadillac and belong to both clubs and enjoy them equally. But then I wouldn't bring the Chevy to Cadillac events or the Cadillac to Chevy events.

You can buy an antique Chevy. Then join the Cadillac club. You can tell all the Cadillac club members that you cannot afford a Cadillac and you have to have a Chevy. You can them tell them how your Chevy is simlar to or better than their Cadillacs. You can tell them it is better to have a Chevy that you fixed up with whatever parts instead of a Cadillac sitting and rotting in a field. You will probably not find many people to agree with you there. Or you could join the Chevy club and find lots of people that agree with you. Of course it is possible to own both a Chevy and a Cadillac and belong to both clubs and enjoy them equally. But then I wouldn't bring the Chevy to Cadillac events or the Cadillac to Chevy events.

LINC400, Good analogy. :)

JYJ, You save vehicles any way you can. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But you don't want to save vehicles the way that the AACA requires. We are not a general car club for people that really are not interested in supporting what the AACA's mission is.

While AACA members may have similar feelings and sometimes do what you do, they do not come here and talk about those vehicles. One of the members here has a beautiful street/hot rod. I have a photo of it that he sent to me. It will not be posted or talked about here because it is not the kind of vehicle that fits the AACA requirements.

Guest frazer51

Here is a car a 1954 Olds Starfire that should of gone to the junk yard or been sold off for parts but I decided to save it. When my wife told me that I wouldn't live long enough to finish this car that was motive enough for me to restore it. I was only about 60 years old when I started on it and in a couple of years, around"93 or '94 the car completed I entered it in the National Olds Show and got a 2nd place award.. My wife did the upholstery for the car and her and I together installed the convertible top. I did all the mechanic work, body work and the painting. So I guess if you care for a particular car or if you welcome a challenge and don't have a lot of funds you must just jump in and "get er done". I've included some photos of before , during and after.

post-61302-143138177912_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138177918_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138177923_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138177927_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138177932_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138177937_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138177941_thumb.jpg

Great Job on that car. I think your post just proved that a car is not beyond restoration if you can still look at it and recognize what it was and you are willing to dedicate the time, materials, and money required to restore it to what it once was! Great Job!

I sold a rough 55 Olds S88 convertible about 20 years ago because I did not have the room to restore it,I drove it untill the doors would fly open due to the rear body mounts in the trunk were gone. I sold it to someone in Indy who owned a body shop who did nothing to it and seen it for sale in Washington then someone in Minnesota bought it and when I talked to him he had all the body welded togather and was supposed to get pics but never recieved them. And Susan I dont own what would be considered a streetrod,I have cars pieced togather with leftover and junkyard parts that are not of the same year and makes since I use what I can get cheap to get them back on the road.

There is a lot of brass era stuff that has had new castings made and parts machined to save them. Also body parts re-made from parts that were hardly paterns. I belive I read some time ago that a complete engine was cast and machined for an early Mercer. There were 1910'ish Buick cylinder jugs that were cast new at Hershey a few years ago. Just needed Machining. Dandy Dave!

..... And Susan I dont own what would be considered a streetrod,I have cars pieced togather with leftover and junkyard parts that are not of the same year and makes since I use what I can get cheap to get them back on the road.

JYJ, I understand what you have and why, which is fine as to why you do what you do. My point with the reference to the street/hot rod was that members here have other than AACA "regulation" vehicles but they are not talked about here more than a mention, not discussed in any detail. We have a 1939 Dodge that will be restored as close as possible but will not be AACA eligible. It will not be discussed here and no photos will be posted because of that.

Edited by Shop Rat
Correct a misspelled word. (see edit history)

JYJ, I understand what you have and why, which if fine as to why you do what you do. My point with the reference to the street/hot rod was that members here have other than AACA "regulation" vehicles but they are not talked about here more than a mention, not discussed in any detail. We have a 1939 Dodge that will be restored as close as possible but will not be AACA eligible. It will not be discussed here and no photos will be posted because of that.

I have the same situation, I have a car of sentimental value that is essentially a collection of stock parts that are "close". I keep it and enjoy it but will not discuss it's features here. Everyone can of course do whatever they want with their car, but Linc400s analogy about taking a Chevy to the Cadillac club and wondering why they are not enthusiastic about it is exactly right. I will not find street rods interesting or encourage them here in any way. Todd

PS to frazier51, that Olds is great, hope you are still enjoying that beauty!

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)

I'm doing a 42 Dodge convertible that sat since 1957 with the top down. If anyone needs inspiration e-mail me at mdracine@comcast.net for pictures. I was inspired by the advertising slogan of a local pro restorer that went something like "Nothing is impossible, just very expensive."

Guest frazer51

:)Is there any correlation between how much you spend on a restoration as apposed to how much work you want to preform yourself on the restoration? I believe that the more work that I do it is less money that I have to spend to pay someone else to do. I get asked how much I have invested in a restoration and I'll state a price. They quickly come back with "What about your time"? I tell them that I don't charge time when I watch TV, go fishing or even bowling so why should I charge for time spent restoring a car when that is what I enjoy doing the most. Here I am in the sunset of my life at 77 with failing eye sight and 2 more cars that need to be restored. I guess that the 1918 Buick that I finished last year will be my last. Being on a fixed income I am not in a position to pay someone to do my cars. Getting back to the topic I have restored some "nasty" cars in my time probably because they weren't that expensive to purchase to start with. When you do the work yourself and are willing to take time away from watching TV, or setting in a bar I believe that the cost for the restoration of a really bad car and a not to bad of a car are about the same, except for the purchase price. There may be those that disagree with me but this is just my opinion. Thanks for letting me say my piece.:D

Edited by frazer51 (see edit history)

..... I get asked how much I have invested in a restoration and I'll state a price. They quickly come back with "What about your time"? I tell them that I don't charge time when I watch TV, go fishing or even bowling so why should I charge for time spent restoring a car when that is what I enjoy doing the most. .....

I think that the difference would maybe be that you might get some money back from the time you spend on a restoration. Uh, not so much chance of that for watching TV, going fishing or bowling. :D

But I understand that you love working on the vehicles and therefore it is a labor of love for you more than an income. :)

Guest frazer51

Shop Rat, you made a good point about a labor of love. Here is a little story about my 1930 Ford Pickup. In 1956 the year that I got married my brother gave me this pickup to keep it from going for scrap. By 1958 I had restored it at a cost of $250.00 and guess what it was still only worth $50.00. Now that was a labor of love. In 1964 a friend of my wife's family who was an auctioneer ask if I would let him list my truck in an upcoming auction to attract other people. I told him that I did not want to sell it so he said that we would put on a high reserve. Guess what was our high reserve for that pickup in 1964. We set it at $450.00 and guess what it didn't sell. Here it is 54 years later and I still have the same truck and also the same bride. She is a big help with my restorations plus she does my upholstery work. She can even put on a convertible top, and a vinyl top, I can't give her up. Here is a photo of the Model A pickup taken in 1965 in Brownsville, Penna. for the 200th year celebration parade. My wife didn't want to be seen riding in this old truck. so she made period clothes for herself and the 3 girls and they walked in the parade. By the way there was only one other old car in this parade, a 1951 Packard convertible. This photo was taken and given to me years after the parade by a fellow who was my seventh grade teacher back in the mid 40s. I hope you enjoyed my story.:)

post-61302-143138179124_thumb.jpg

Guest DeSoto Frank
I would have thought that this car would be unrestorable, but......

At the risk of being a crank, no one has yet proved that it is NOT unrestorable...

At the risk of being a crank, no one has yet proved that it is NOT unrestorable...

As mentioned earlier....with enough money, you can "restore" almost anything. If the Bugatti is "restored", I would imagine that it is more of a re-fabrication of the once glorious body since there is not enough to actually restore.