photo without caption - dec 7, 2009

Peter Gariepy

Before you go too far in picking on this car dealer, he may have done it intentionally. It sure has you talking and that is the goal of many people in marketing. The old story "any publicity is good publicity".

I once did something similar to see what reaction it would get in my dealership. This was many years ago but it actually got people to come into our showroom to point our our mistake! Needless to say, all our advertising is to drive showroom traffic so that gambit worked. Also, everyone in town knew if I was goofy so they were not surprised by the wrong spelling!

Before you go too far in picking on this car dealer, he may have done it intentionally. .....

That is why I put the caption "Burma Shave" :rolleyes:.

If you look at the photo closely it appears to me that it is meant to be read as you are driving by it on that side of the road. In doing so you would see the S first, then the A, then the L and lastly the E. Hence the reference to the Burma Shave signs that you read as you drove by them on your side of the road.

I don't think they were meant as an incorrect placing of the letters.

The ELAS sign worked, it got our attention and did anybody miss the SALE

message? The best advertising is what people notice, so i give it a passing grade. For potential customers who missed the point, we have buy here pay

here lots.

The ELAS sign worked, it got our attention and did anybody miss the SALE

message? The best advertising is what people notice, so i give it a passing grade. For potential customers who missed the point, we have buy here pay

here lots.

Beat me to it, I was gonna say, Made you look, made you talk about it.