Petition to Change AACA Ballot Requirements

At the AACA Board of Directors Meeting held in Philadelphia on February 8, 2001, a proposal was presented in the form of a motion that the requirement that members must vote for exactly 7 candidates on the AACA Ballot be changed to they may vote for any number up to 7. That motion was defeated.<P>A compromise proposal was offered that the requirement be changed from "Vote for 7" to "Vote for a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 7" That motion was also defeated.<P>In the middle of January, I became aware that the "5 to 7" proposal would be presented as a counter to the "Up to 7" concept. I viewed it to be a fair and reasonable compromise and stated that I would offer no opposition, so long as it was enacted. <B>IT WASN"T!</B><P>Therefore, I am instituting a campaign to petition the AACA Board of Directors to adopt the "Vote for a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 7" concept.<P>The goal of this petition drive is to get 3500 - 5000 signatures, or more if possible. The drive will continue throughout 2001 and up to one week before the 2002 Annual Meeting. It seeks BOTH member and spouse participation. <P>The petition follows. To "sign", please give your name <B>AND</B> membership number. To record a spouse's "signature" give the spouses name separately.<P>Should anyone feel strongly enough on this issue to be interested in circulating written petitions, please e-mail me at HVScotyard@aol.com and I will forward the forms to you. Please be sure to include a mailing address.<P> <B>PETITION</B><P>WE the following named and identified AACA members petition the AACA Board of Directors to change the wording of the AACA ballot instructions which stipulate the number of votes required on the ballot from <BR><B>VOTE FOR 7</B> [no more and no fewer] to <B>VOTE FOR A MINIMUM OF 5 AND A MAXIMUM OF 7.</B><p>[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

Thanks everyone who has signed up so far cool.gif" border="0 <P>REMEMBER, If you signed a petition last year it no longer is valid. That effort went down to defeat in February and petitions DO NOT carry over.<P>SO PLEASE, SIGN UP AGAIN IF THIS APPLIES TO YOU.<P>Howard<p>[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

'37 ~ Go to the thread entitled "Just Wondering", 3rd post, for a fairly detailed explanation. It was last entered on 11-05-2001 @ 11:04 PM. If I were good at this computer thing, I could bring that post over here, but I'm not.<P>Basically it is to eliminate being forced to vote for someone you don't want to vote for merely to make a ballot valid. <P>teddy ~ Those of us supporting this change believe it will increase the number of ballots cast. However, that was not the main focus of the drive. Not being forced to vote for 7 was.<P>Howard

Just to put a different slant on this: <P>Considering that a majority of the candidates every year are incumbents, it serves them to vote this petition down. Incumbents are normally voted back in, <BR>not so much because they earned the position but because we've got to vote for 7 whether we like them or not. The incumbents benefit from this voting model.<P>Quality incumbents have nothing to fear if this petition were to go through. They will get voted in because they earned it. However, incumbents who don?t carry their weight will not automatically get back in? that?s a good thing.<P>Course, that?s just my opinion ? I could be wrong<sup>1</sup>.<P>Peter<P><sup>1</sup> Copyright © 2001, HVS, All rights reserved. smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: peterg ]

Howard is what you wanted to do?<P><BR>hvs <BR>Senior Member <BR>Member # 2215 <BR> posted 11-05-2001 07:48 PM <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>Before anyone misunderstands my motives for instituting the petition drive to change the "Vote for 7, no more no fewer" ballot requirement, let me make my reasons perfectly clear.<BR>I do not like being forced to vote for someone I do not feel is qualified or a good candidate solely because I need to fill in 7 names on my ballot in order to have it count. Now please don't tell my to read the biographical sketches and decide from that. The candidates write their own bios. Who is going to say that they will do their best but "tend to be lazy and put off duties", or something like that.<P>When you must vote for 7 of nine as on this year's ballot, some of us are going to vote for someone we don't want. Now if we could vote for at least 5 but not more than 7, as our petition states, then at least we could vote with a clear conscience. <P>The person we do not want to vote for may very well be elected, but we will know that our vote was not the one that put that person over the top. I can acccept the will of the majority, but I cannot accept being forced to cast my vote with that majority.<P>hvs

HVS It has been a few days since I last checked this site - thanks for the petition info! IF we signed a written petition at club meeting in last couple months, should we sign again here ?? smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Annie ~ If you are sure your Region's petitions will be sent back, don't sign. If you are unsure, prod the Region person with the petitions, because you are not the only one on there --I hope.<P>Howard<P>Folks --- Don't double up and sign in 2 places. This is not Chicago or Boston. You only get to vote once. wink.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0