Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

It is Friday, Oct 7th. Alice and I ran up to Hershey. What a beautiful day, but it did take over an hour to get into the one parking lot that was open. Lots of people, lots of parts, and lots of cars for sale. Since we were only staying a few hours we just stayed near the Giant Center and the cars for sale. One highlight of the day was seeing Wayne Carini of Chasing Classic Cars standing in the hot dog line with us. Looked like any car nut.

Did not find anything I needed, but did make offers on a few things. Dealers were sticking with their high prices on the first day so did not bring home anything.

I really enjoyed the cars for sale. The lot was full of great looking cars and quite a few old original cars were there also. Of course they were all full price on the first morning, but by Friday PM and Saturday AM, if you can wait, prices will drop.

I have included some pics of cars that I liked.

post-48480-143138685749_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138685765_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138685779_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138685794_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138685808_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138685823_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138685839_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138685854_thumb.jpg

It is Sunday, October 9th. Nice weather so have to do lots of farm work. Today's task was to spread pellet fertilizer on the pastures. Still have another days work to go.

But the weekend was great. John Lee, from Australia, came with his friend Celia to spend a couple of days with us. We had a great time talking old car stuff. He has several Buicks from the 20s and 30s. Here is a pic of his 24 McLaughlin Buick.

John really wanted to drive our 23 McLaughlin Buick, but when I went to start it the starter pedal worked one, and the engine wanted to catch. But when I hit the starter again the pedal rod felt funny and loose. The mechanism did not want to retract. So we rocked the car and got the gear to release from the flywheel. Tried it again and it did the same thing. Got it free again, but nothing happened. The motor does freewheel as it should but I do not feel the mechanical clunk I usually feel to engage the third brush. After some more fiddling, we gave up for the day. Guess what I will be doing over the next few days, trying to get the starter to work correctly. Better that it failed at home rather than on the road.

But we went to the 28 Buick and of course she started up and ran great. John got to take it for a nice run. When he came back we discussed issues with the 23. He gave me some great suggestions for adjustments, especially the hard steering. We also discussed some missing bit and pieces, and some recommendations for better performance and reliability.

We had a great visit. Thanks John and Celia for taking the time to come visit us.

post-48480-143138687759_thumb.jpg

It is Monday, October 10th. Oh no, a sick llama so will be loading this morning and taking him to the vet, which is over the mountains. This is the one that was attacked a couple of weeks ago. So no car work for me today.

But I did ask Greg how he did at Hershey. Here is his reply. "Well, I had a good time, picked up some things for the Dodge, mirror, inner tubes, jack, lug wrench, etc.

Found some brass dust covers needed for the Stoddard Dayton, that kind of stuff. Spent some time yakking with some old friends, etc.

It was a good week. I did have to return home for a Friday work episode, but made it back for the show on Saturday. I did see one Avanti on the field, metallic gray '63 with a red interior. R1 with air.

Weather was unbelievable."

Still Monday, but 8 PM. Just got back from the vet. The llama looks even worse now after two hours with two vets and two vet tecs. I will take a pic tomorrow, but now he even looks worse. The pic may not be for the faint hearted.

Remember our 20s cars were in the filming of "J Edgar" well they finally released posters so I will attach them. The film comes out on Nov 11th. Still do not know if the cars made the final "cut".

Greg also made an expanded Hershey report. Here it is.

"It has been a busy week. I roamed the Hershey flea market both Wednesday and Thursday. It occurred to me that things are a little different now. I've been going there since that first trip, Rusty Cadwallader, a classmate in our seventh grade offered to let me ride along with him and his Dad. Life has never been the same. And for all these years it has been an annual occurrence (missed only a few) to buy all the neat stuff you could with the cash on hand.

Now that some of the project cars are well along, my shopping list has been reduced to incidentals like inner tubes and small ticket items. Not so much buying stuff just because it is neat. Guess I've outgrown my "acquisition mode" as Glenn Miller puts it.

So, I bought a few presents for the Dodge, some trinkets for the Dayton.

I had a work related field trip on Friday and returned on Saturday for the show. Barbara was a real trooper as we zig zagged through the display cars.

The ride home was detoured to Rob's garage so that I could pick up some things. He had a set of spark plug bodies modified with the porcelains knocked out and studs welded in their place. This so that I could resume work on the Dodge.

Sunday I threaded them in place and with a chain between them and the engine lift, I succeeded in lifting the front end of the car off the ground. And yes, I have checked repeatedly to make sure I hadn't overlooked a head stud nut. I took one of the modified plugs, cut the stud off flush to drill and tap it with a 1/2" thread. Took a piece of allthread and welded a nut to one end. With that assembly in place I tightened until the weld broke. You know what? That head is going to stay on, with what little use that Dodge will see, I'll listen to it rattle.

Sunday being such a nice day, we decided to go for a ride. Seabiscuit (the Avanti) hadn't been exercised much lately, so we used it for a trip to Rob's to get in a little primping on the Dayton. It is going out next Saturday for a show in Rockville, Md and Barb wanted to polish brass and make sure I checked the tire pressures.

I installed the newly acquired and buffed dust caps for the valve stems on the tires. Another pleasant ride and weekend was done and now I'm back to business. No photos to show, but I'll have some soon of what's happening here at the Wright factory."

post-48480-14313869039_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138690394_thumb.jpg

It is Tuesday, October 11th. A very interesting "work" report from Greg. Just as interesting as his car reports. Enjoy.

"Cool in the air, so I'll stay in the shop tonight.

I mentioned the day job. My direction gets rerouted by what's happening around me. I've been on the Langley kick because I've had the opportunity to work it in. Today was spent enjoying the company of the Smithsonian's Garber facility crew in Suitland, Md.

Another artifact loan, borrowed the original water pump castings for the Langley Aerodrome engine. Although they are "gloves only" items, we'll copy them and then send the copies to the foundry. So while I'm in the sand casting mode, the timing will allow me to sneak in some Wright work.

The brothers, having started their manufacturing plant in Dayton, decided that to market aircraft to the public and military, speed sells. They planned to beat the competition badly at the speed contest that took place at Belmont Park in 1910. The "Baby Grand", a half scale airplane. For the engine they combined two of their production four cylinders for a V8. Sixty horsepower that Orville test flew to just under eighty miles per hour when period aircraft were trying for sixty-five. Just before the race, crack pilot Walter Brookins broke it to smithereens. And lived.

All that survives of the engine is an original drawing of the camshaft. And a few shots of the plane. We want to hear one run. Although I'm working thirty feet over my own head with no net, this long term part time project is taking shape. The camshaft drawing is the Rosetta Stone. Dimensions, firing order, cylinder and pump placement, etc.

Utilizing what we know about the production four, a borrowed six cylinder and the photos, I have drawn up the plan for the crankcase. These plans were then sent to Art Bergstrom, the foremost patternmaker for this kind of project. He's gotten them finished and they are now in house.

The photos:

Two halves of the crank case patterns

The halves together

Two shots of the boxes for forming the sand cores. These form the hollow chambers. Note that one box forms the outer walls, the other the inner. Outer doesn't have the windows in it.

Then on to the base or sump.

Two pattern halves apart,

Then together.

The corebox to form the hollow interior with dividers for splash oiling. Not shown are a couple more smaller coreboxes and numerous "loose pieces". The loose pieces are removable items to allow the hardened sand to be freed from the boxes, or the patterns to be freed from the sand and yet retain pockets, etc.

When the Langley patterns are ready, I'll get all this to the foundry in Baltimore who will do these in aluminum as they were.

As you try to understand the process of the patterns and cores, remember that the pattern protrusions are to form core prints in the sand, the sand cores will be registered and held in place by them.

Not much on the home front yet tonight."

post-48480-143138691452_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138691456_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138691461_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138691465_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313869147_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138691474_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138691477_thumb.jpg

I thought this was suppose to be a car blog. Have had several request for the injured llama pictures. I aim to please, so here are a couple. Remember to look away if you do not like to see injured critters. He is doing well, eating and walking around. He is on the mend.

I also picked up a transfer case for our 2002 Trailblazer. Ours is working but is whining. Some day it will give up the ghost. So now I have a 60,000 mile spare for $125. Here it is.

post-48480-143138691481_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138691498_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138691513_thumb.jpg

It is Wednesday, October 13th. Heading to Las Vegas for a Army unit reunion and Indy Car races on Sunday. Will be a nice change from the farm.

But while I am playing, Greg is working. Here is his report.

"It has been raining here all day, too damp to work on the Dodge in that tin shed. So, I grabbed a gas can, got it filled along the way and drove to visit the Stoddard.

Did a little primping, dumped the gas in the tank, hung out with Rob for a few minutes and back to my side of the Potomac and the Mason-Dixon Line.

Did I mention my new brass dust covers for my Schrader valves? Photo enclosed."

post-48480-143138694139_thumb.jpg

And here is a work Wednesday PM report from Greg.

"Tonight, once again the weather is soupy outside, so I'm in the shop. It will take me a while to get reacqainted with where I left off on the Toledo water pump and Matheson engine.

Meanwhile, to keep you enertained, some pics from the day job.

The Langley flywheel project continues. Today I decided it was time to try fitting the flywheel hubs to the crankshaft and check their placement. A stand used for working on the horizontal Wright engines will be modified to mount the Langley crankcase.

I said crankcase even though it doesn't have one. What you see in the pictures is what you get. The bronze bushing crank main bearings are fitted to what they called the drums.

You can see the studs for mounting the five cylinders like the spokes of a wheel. The cylinders hold the drums in place. The drums hold the cylinders in place. You'll see temporary steel plates used in place of the cylinders for now.

That's it. No crankcase. Drip oilers keep the crank and bearings wet, then the oil gets thrown all over everything in the neighborhood. Airplane, driver, houseboat, Potomac, everywhere.

You might also be able to make out the balance arm on the flywheel. I'm still trying to learn how they calculated the amount of balance weights. Shown is the Port side flywheel, the Starboard wheel hub is visible on the other side.

Incredible engineering from the days when they worked with rocks and sticks and wore bearskin robes."

post-48480-143138694144_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138694148_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138694152_thumb.jpg

It is Sunday, October 16th. We were at the Indy Car event in Las Vegas when the big crash happened. It was horrific from the start, so many cars spinning, on fire, overturned. We did not know that Dan Wheldon had been killed until almost three hours after it was red flagged. You could hear a gasp from the fans when it was announced. May Dan rest in peace and keep his family in our hearts. Heading home tomorrow.

Still Friday, here is Greg's post for his weekend. No pics, sounds like he had a great time.

"Just a quick note after a hard charging weekend.

Friday I was paid a visit by Thetan Ogle who is working on my Stoddard fender fabrication. Nice to see him and we found time to visit Jason Repass, local painter who shot my maroon Stude and should do my black one too.

That evening my sidekick Barbara made the trip with me to load the Stoddard in Rob's trailer to be ready for an early start to the Rockville show. The show went well, weather was very nice, lots of interest in the crowd. A special treat for me was to discover the factory prepared "Sherwood Egbert R-3" Avanti on the field.

Cutting it close, we got the car loaded, dropped the truck and trailer at Rob's and was only fifteen minutes late at a class reunion for my high school in Winchester.

Today the car was unloaded, and although the day was sunny, it was quite windy and brisk. Nevertheless, Rob and I drove it about twenty miles . Probably the longest duration run the Stoddard has done. We found some issues for me to take care of over the winter. With the oil thoroughly warmed, there is a loss of oil pressure at idle, so I'll need to readjust that. And the leather fan belt is still stretching, so once again I shortened it.

Then, with Barb in the backseat holding on for dear life, Rob took us out in his two cylinder REO. A pleasant run in the car, it is running progressively better for him. The return was a driving lesson for me that left Barb white knuckled.

The thing about these early cars. They are so diverse that it can leave a long time enthusiast feeling like a beginner.

Now, the past weekend is just a blurr."

post-48480-14313870006_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138700062_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138700064_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

I did take just a few pictures of the start of the Las Vegas Indy Car race, and a short video of the tribute laps after we had been told of Dan Wheldon's death.

I think that the first picture I took was of the actual race was at lap two. They were really close together and you just knew in your heart that they were just too close, three wide in most places and going like heck. By lap eleven they had separated into two groups, but both groups were still very close. It was really exciting to see them running so fast and so tight, but you were waiting for everyone to back off and line up. Then it all happened so fast. You could hear the crowd do a collective "gasp" when it happened. So many cars at once, you just could not believe it.

They started to bring the wrecked cars in and most went directly to the garages. However, two cars were covered in large yellow tarps and were brought over to a corner of the track and set down, and officials were guarding them. One was Dan's car. I assume that IndyCar officials had impounded them for investigation. I knew that seeing this was not good news.

The last few shots are of the tribute laps after the crash. You can see the all the crews from the Indy Lights and Indy Car lining the outside of the pit area.

Here is a link to the five lap tribute run after the crash.

And for those that are interested here is a link to the race.

post-48480-143138699827_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138699841_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138699856_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138699871_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138699886_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138699901_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138699918_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138699933_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138699948_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138699963_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn
added link to race (see edit history)

It is Wednesday, October 19th. Raining cats and dogs this morning. An inside day for sure. Just received two new oxygen sensors for the 02 Chev Trailblazer. The check engine light has been going off and on lately. Figure it was due a couple of sensors after 165K miles. It is inside the garage so may attempt to tackle that work today, maybe. Have a cold from Las Vegas, go figure, so really do not feel like doing much.

But Greg is busy as usual. Here is his report on multiple items.

"I wasn't expecting today to be so nice.

I found time this evening to scrape more Studebaker paint. I'm trying to get the sloppy work done around the front and rear glass so that I'll be ready to take them out. I went over the top again and then below the windshield and rear window.

The '21 Dodge still waits reassembly. Can't be every place.

Then I began the boring of the Pope-Toledo pump casting. It has a complicated bore and my boring bar isn't quite long enough to go all the way through until I rough out some of the counterbores. Taking it out carefully. Not the time to screw up.

And a couple pics from the day job. I'm really knocked out by the exhaust cam operation. The crankshaft has a gear inside the port side (as they identified the components. Guess they knew the Aerodrome A was going into the drink) drum. This is the leading gear in a train that communicates with gears outside the drum. End result is a counter-rotating two lobed cam that runs one fourth crank speed. The Stephen Balzer/Charles Manly/ Samuel Langley engine is a four stroke five cylinder. The cam lobes will operate the rollers on the "punch rods" to open the exhaust valves.

Beautiful. I have yet to determine whose contribution this was, Balzer or Manly. Remember this was Eighteen nineties high button shoes engineering."

post-48480-143138700078_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138700083_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138700087_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138700092_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138700096_thumb.jpg

John,

I wanted to thank you and your friend Greg for your long running thread which started with an honest and well documented story of the resurrection of your Avanti but has grown to be almost a forum by itself. With one click we hear and see running stories about:

• at least 3 Avantis, maybe more
  • a 1923 McLaughlin Buick
  • a 1928 Buick
  • a 1911 Stoddard Dayton racer
  • a 1921 Dodge driveable dream
  • a Matheson
  • a Pope Toledo
  • Wright and Langley aircraft
  • and more, more, more

I know it's a lot of work to post every day and I appreciate your effort. I open the forum every day and skim a few topics, but I open and read your posts every day and always enjoy them, thanks again!

Greg and I are glad that you all are still enjoying our daily activities. We actually have a great time doing it and has led us to make many more friends in the old car community. So we will continue until you guys tell us to stop.

It is Thursday, October 20th. I am fighting a bad cold, so I did nothing. But Greg continues to press ahead on several fronts. Here is his report from last night.

"Another good day with an unexpected turn of events.

Got up this morning and decided it would be a good time to take part of the Wright 8 patterns to the Baltimore foundry. I gathered all required to cast the easiest component, the sump. A quick call to Bob Eagan verified that he'd be there, so hi ho hi ho, off to the beltway traffic I go.

When I confronted Bob with the goods, I told him that he was to call me when he had them rammed in the sand, I'd come back to take some photos. See ya, bye. He said "You ain't goin nowhere." Before long we were playing in the sand. Several hours later we had the pattern molds and cores done. Art Bergstrom had done an excellent job and everything fit together. Nicely thought out. I didn't have a camera along, so Bob took some with his phone and will send them to me. We closed the mold, and he plans to pour them tomorrow. They were originally aluminum, he'll use 356 alloy.

After Bob treated me to one of Baltimore's famous corned beef on rye with mustard sandwiches, I found myself fighting my way through the rushour traffic for Baltimore, then through the DC beltway and Rt 66 crawl made me late getting back, but after a little R&R, resumed the Toledo job.

I've gotten the stepped bore done except for reaming for the pump shaft. Then I cut the external threads. I'm looking forward now to finding a way to chuck the pump body to turn the threads on the outlet tube.

Also, enclosed is a photo of today's UPS surprise. A gift from the world famous Temple Baldwin. I guess he got himself a new air compressor. He sent me his old one.

Enough for now."

post-48480-143138701921_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138701925_thumb.jpg

It is Friday, Oct. 21st. Greg was busy, busy. Here is his report.

"Good news from the foundry. Bob poured the eight cylinder Wright crankcase sump. Called me to say he had shaken it out of the sand and it looks good. I'd say that opening the mold to see what you got is like having a baby, but it is more like the old days when you went to the drug store to pick up the pictures you had developed. You didn't know how they turned out until you opened that envelope.

Otherwise, spent most of this evening setting up the Toledo pump body. Mounted it on a small angle plate and then chucked it in the lathe. Took a while to get the casting centered, and it had to be right on the money. The casting had just enough diameter to allow me to turn the diameter (and I mean it just cleaned up on the final few thousandths cut). Although it was a shaky setup, I was able to cut the threads for the outlet gland nut without blowing anything up. There will only be one more lathe operation, the impeller sits in a counterbore, but I need t ream the bore for the shaft, then press a shaft into it to use as an arbor to grip. Need to order a reamer. Next comes some mill work to machine the mounting pad, drill and tap the threaded hole for the grease cup.

After that success story, I took a few minutes to pull the door off of Avanti 5054, brought it down to the shop and gutted it. Now it is ready for paint stripping.

Taking the rest of the night off."

post-48480-143138704304_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138704309_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138704313_thumb.jpg

It is Monday, Oct 24th. Finally, I am starting to feel human again, cold is getting better. We are heading to Iceland in a couple of weeks so I better be all well. Wonder what they are driving?

But Greg was busy this weekend. Here is his report.

"A productive weekend shot. Nice weather is conducive to progess. David (Trimacar) Coco arranged truck shipment of that NOS Avanti axle from Georgia. Delivered to him, he met me for the exchange.

Time was found to work in the tin barn. Pulled the right door of the black Avanti, windshield, quarter windows and loosened the rear glass. I stripped the paint from the left door and began work on that right one. It's stripped of components and ready for de-painting.

I've found a problem with the outside door handles. The handles are retained to the escutcheons by a rollpin. There is just enough room to install the assembly in the door opening. Three of the four (two cars) have had the pins work partly out which prevents removal of the handle. I was able to get a die grinder and cutoff wheel inside the door to cut away the exposed pin. Took a while.

Then it was warm enough to lie under the Dodge to tighten the oil pan. New gaskets were cut and the oil pump was reinstalled.

Photos:

*5054 with more parts removed.

*The Avanti rear axle home at last.

*A door with the paint removed down to the Featherfill.

*The Dodge oil pump.

*A camera shy squirrel.

It was a weekend of good company and work done.

post-48480-143138708794_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138708799_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138708803_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138708807_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138708812_thumb.jpg

Guest Backyardmechanic

May I suggest the gasket betwen the steel plate and brass pump body should be a thin paper gasket pressure is lost with a thick gasket.

Vern from ROMAR DB PARTS DEALER

Thanks Vern, sent Greg your note.

It is Tuesday, Oct 25th. Felt better today so pulled the 23 out of the tent shelter and pushed her back into the garage. Alice was driving. Tomorrow I plan on taking a look at the starter mechanism to see if I can see any obvious issues/problems.

Here is Greg's Monday report. "Tonight's progress: reamed the bore of the Toledo pump. Movement in the right direction. Studebaker and Dodge divisions given a vacation day.

Have to get an early start tomorrow. A Hazy museum research mission.

I don't do the Dawn Patrol very well."

post-48480-143138709908_thumb.jpg

Still Tuesday. Vern, received this back from Greg. Thanks for the advice.

John,

For the cover plate I usually use that brown wrapping paper. When I took the pump apart I found them to be about .012" thick. I had some .015, so I put back what I thought the last guy used. I considered the .003" but I didn't really think that pressure was an issue on this puny pump. After all, I recall the owner's manual stating that if you were reading FOUR pounds on the gauge, you had a problem. Something was stopped up to cause this excessive pressure.

If the DB parts dealer says use the thinner gasket, I don't have a problem with changing to the .003" and thanking Vern for the tip.

GREG.

It is Wednesday, Oct 26th. Here is Greg's report from late last night. I don't think that he ever sleeps.

"My early start this morning found Scott and I on our way to Udvar-Hazy. Here we were joined by our associate Paul Glenshaw and we met staff member Jeannie Whited. The early start was due to the fact that our examination of the Langley Aerodrome A must be concluded before the museum was open to the public.

We took turns being elevated to the areas of the machine that interested us. I think on my camera alone we added over four hundred photographs and that doesn't count what Scott and Paul captured on theirs.

I had taken ol Seabiscuit (aka maroon Avanti), it did fine. Before I put it away this evening, I used it to find some dinner. That's when I found a big puddle of coolant under it. Although it didn't overheat on the way back to the tin shed a brief examination revealed a lazy fan clutch. One thing I didn't renew, now it will need replacement. Maybe that was the cause of the car's hot tempered impatience with traffic lights?

With that added to my list, I resumed the Toledo pump caper. Tonight I set it up on the mill to machine the bottom of the mounting pad. I'll be drilling holes next.

Photo expanations:

* Paul Glenshaw taking photos as Jeannie skillfully manoevers him into position. Scott looks up in awe of the size of that dinosaur. (The photos are washed out because they were taken in a gigantic format. I don't know how to downsize them so what you get are views photographed from my monitor. Sorry. That or nothing.)

* Paul taking my picture as I took his from the balcony.

* Machining the mounting pad of the Toledo pump.

Off to the foundry tomorrow with the Wright Brothers V8 case patterns. I'll have a camera along this time.

post-48480-143138710436_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313871044_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138710444_thumb.jpg

John,

If you want to share the following link with Greg, this is one of the many free solutions to his photo file size issue.

Free Online Picture Resizer - Crop and Resize photos, images, or pictures online for FREE!

I also use a file format that is too large to post on any online forum. I simply use this link to do a quick resize to 50% and that works fine for me.

Hey guys i was told maybe someone on this post would be interested in a Paxton supercharger for this model. If so PM me please. Thank you

I did respond to "Roof".

It is Thursday, October 27th. Hard freeze tonight so time to drain the water out of the 28 and 23. That is the job for today.

Greg had a great day at the foundry in Baltimore. Here is his report.

"The Baltimore foundry was there waiting for me this morning. I had the V8 patterns and core boxes on board.

Bob Eagan looked them over in order to understand the casting method prescribed by patternmaker Art Bergstrom who was working from brown paper drawings I had done. Remember this engine built by the Wrights in spring of 1910 was a prototype that doesn't exist anymore. Armed with clues from a couple period photos, a surviving camshaft drawing and what I've learned about their other series of engines.....I'm shooting in the dark.

Liking what he saw, Bob directed Will, his able assistant, to begin making the sand cores while he finished another job. Sticking close to Will and watching his method, it wasn't long before we were first mixing the sand. This foundry sand uses a syrup like binder. We were loading the mixer with three one hundred pound bags of sand at a time. Who says foundry work isn't glamorous?

Then Will had me working along side him packing sand and making cores. Hard to believe, but this one crankcase mold requires a total of sixteen sand cores.

Bob rejoined us and after studying the patterns for the case exterior, he decided how he was going to gate and vent the mold. First the bottom "drag" was prepared, then inverted and the pattern for the other side of the case mated to it, and the "cope" half completed.

In the photos you'll see how the mold is then split, the wooden patterns removed and the sand cores installed. When all that is carefully done (any grains of sand scuffed into the bottom of the mold where you can't see them can ruin the casting) the cope is reunited with the drag, the mold is then closed and ready for the molten alloy.

Photo explanation:

Pic #001 sand is packed in a corebox, the large knitting needle is for piercing the sand randomly. CO2 gas is then injected into the sand to harden it.

#002 Hardened sand core is carefully dumped from the box. The white dust is mold release.

#003 Lineup of sand cores, eight large and eight small ones.

# 004 Drag side before removal of the exterior pattern.

# 005 Drag side with the other pattern mated

# 006 Cope and drag with patterns removed. Will is blowing away loose sand.

# 007 Bob is fitting the individual sand cores.

# 008 All cores in place.

# 010 Bob and Will closing the mold.

I don't know if this is too many pics to send at one time. I took my "email" camera for these shots, the "work" camera for

detail study.

I also brought back with me the first casting, the case sump. It looks really good. You'll just have to wait until tomorrow to see a picture of it, the holes I drilled in the Toledo pump as well.

For me it was another good day. To be put to the test in another specialized skill and not screwing up is always satisfying.

Bob learned foundry methods from his grandfather, who was taught by his father. We're doing things the old way.

post-48480-143138711814_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138711818_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138711822_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138711827_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138711831_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138711835_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138711839_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138711843_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138711847_thumb.jpg

Roger, I understand that you can "work" the sand with hand tools, but that it is hard enough to move around without fear of damage.

It is Friday, October 28th. Snow expected tomorrow, 1 to 3 inches. Same storm that hit Denver a few days ago. I did feel well enough with this cold to go out and work on the 20s cars to get them ready for winter.

And here is Greg's report from last night.

"No great shakes tonight.

Pope Toledo pump: Last night I did the layout and drilled the mounting holes, then drilled and tapped for the grease cup. Tonight I began the preliminary work required for polishing and buffing.

While sanding the body of it, I found a soft spot. A little poking uncovered a casting flaw, a paper thin wall over a large hole. I cleaned it, brazed it closed and sanded smooth. To match the rest of the engine, this pump will need a lot of sanding and buffing. Not fun, not fast.

Also, as promised, photos of the newly cast Wright Brothers V8 oil sump. I didn't hear from the foundry today. Either he didn't pour the crankcase, or ..... it didn't work out on the first try."

post-48480-143138712581_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138712585_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138712589_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138712593_thumb.jpg

Still Friday. What the heck is going on? Now they are saying 5 to 7 inches of wet snow by tomorrow PM. Leaves are still on the trees so if we get wet snow then we are going to have some power outages with limbs and trees coming down. Decided I better head out and get llama food/500lbs of grain and corn mix to fill the feed bin.

When I got home decided to work on the 23's starter generator. Of course I had to move the Avanti and that required a 30 minute run through the countryside. Oh well.

Anyway, back to the starter generator. Remember a couple of weeks ago, I pushed in on the starter pedal and she started to turn, but did not catch. I hit the pedal again and it just when clunk/flat. The motor was turning, but not engaging the starter. So this is what I found so far.

Pic 1: you can see that the large rod that goes into the generator motor has not retracted into the motor. So it is stuck.

Pic 2 and 3: I removed the cap to the generator motor and immediately saw a broken plastic insulation washer for the third brush. You can see where it attaches to the third brush arm as the other half of the washer is still there. Have the broken piece out. Should be interesting to try to find a new one.

The backside of the motor generator looks fine. I can see no other obvious issues. I did find out that I had pinched a wire, but did not break it, under the cover plate. A little squished, but OK.

Pic 4: This is the plate that moves the starter pinion gear in and out. As I remember, there is a large spring that applies tension to the gear when you press in and releases/pulls back the gear when you let off the starter pedal.

So in the next day or so I have to pull the cover and see what is happening. Of course I have to remove the starter rod system to get to it.

post-48480-143138712733_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138712747_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138712761_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138712774_thumb.jpg

My friend Joe in WA sent me a couple of the number 1 produced Avanti. It belongs to the the LeMay Museum in Tacoma, WA. It is under restoration near Ferndale, WA and is suppose to be ready for display in mid 2012. Looks to be still in the repainted condition it was found in.

Here is a link to the car at the museum site. LeMay Museum

And here is a link to the future plans for the car. http://www.lemaymuseum.org/page.php?id=419

post-48480-143138713416_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138713418_thumb.jpg