Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

It is Friday mornning, January 20th. We are home. Drove straight through last night as major snow events were predicted for Friday. So we arrived at about 10 PM last night. 1157 miles R/T. Mileage for the trip home was 9.7 mpg. So the mpg is about the same with the trailer loaded or unloaded.

We did stop at the Air Force Museum. What a place. You just have to see it! You could spend a couple of days there and not see everything. We spent about three hours before it really started snowing outside and we figured we better get going. You can see all the pictures that I took at the museum at https://picasaweb.google.com/unimogjohn/AirForceMuseum#

The snow was really heavy from Dayton to Columbus, OH and then we drove out of it. But it was following us and lots of plows and sand trucks were positioning themselves for the snow that was coming. So not wanted to be stuck on Friday and heavy snow predicted we looked at each other and decided just to head home rather than stopping for the night.

Unlocked the trailer this morning and peeked inside. Everything looks just fine. Glad to be home.

Don"t know if we will unload today as it is very cold and a winter mix is expect tonight. Maybe a couple of inches. We will just have to wait and see.

Here are some pics of airplanes at the museum. Sorry about the picture quality. It was really dark in there.

post-48480-143138807769_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138807786_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138807802_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138807816_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313880783_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138807845_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313880786_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138807875_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

It is Saturday, Jan 21st. It snowed only an inch last night, but then we had freezing rain on top of it. So nothing is moving outside. Animals are even staying in the barns.

So it is a slow day for everyone. Have not heard from Greg. He is probably stuck in Ohio.

Decided to clean and polish one of the 1953 VA license plates that I will use for the Jaguar XK 120. Came out great. I don't know if you can tell in the comparison pic of the two together. I put some blue paint on the other plate, but it is not a match so will go back to the hobby store to see if I can get closer to the right shade of blue. At least I did one car thing today.

I have a good car cover for the Avanti when she returns home. And home will be the barn with a new wood floor to keep her off the damp earth. So I started to look for a car "bag" to put her in to protect her from top to bottom. Here is what I will probably get. Seems like a small investment (around $350) to protect her. Here is a link. Let me know what you think if you have an opinion or comment. Classic Car Cocoon rust prevention of classic cars and motorcycles

post-48480-143138809492_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138809508_thumb.jpg

It is Sunday morning, Jan 22nd. Brrrrrrr. Cold this morning. All seven cats are inside and curled around the stove.

Looks like Alice and I were right about coming straight home and not taking an extra day. Here is Greg's great report about his trip to Ohio.

"Well, I don't know how to tell the tale without naming names and dropping clues. It's a good story and since it involves someone else's acquisition, I shouldn't be the one to make the announcement, he should. And there are some other players involved .

But I'll try to describe Friday's epic. Long story.

PROLOGUE

I've made a lot of good friends. A life in the old car hobby and a career in it and then cross training into pioneer aviation results in exposure to some incredible people. Some of them are keepers.

In the course of my work I've made an acquaintance in a position that's not only scholarly, but of authority. He's been invaluable in assisting me in my research, providing me with some incredible favors. The other day he asked me for one.

Not known as an old car guy, he had one nonetheless. He'd mentioned that he had a Model A Ford, but that was all I knew. Not long ago he called and asked my advice. Should he sell what he's got and step up into what he really wants.

I made arrangements to view what he's got. A sedan that needed everything. Some new parts included. He'd had it for years, bought it right, and best of all, no sentimental attachment. He wanted to replace it with something up and running. Could I help?

I called on Trimacar to do his ebay magic. Sure he would, and within three phone calls after the Buy It Now, the car was gone. Our man was happy.

Next to find a replacement. He began scouring the net for classifieds, finding some that appealed to him. He'd forward the link and I'd look them over and relay my opinion. He really liked the one. A '29 roadster. It really did photograph well. Turn key and ready to enjoy. While considering the car, it was sold.

More links came, but I could tell he really liked that one best. Late last week let me know that the sale had fallen through, they'd hold it for him if he could see the car Friday. About five hundred miles from here, winter weather a real threat.

THE MISSION

So what, let's rock! He picked me up at 6:00 Am Friday morning. I didn't tell him I don't do Dawn Patrol very well, but I was ready. We headed West and North. Weather held as we crossed the Allegheny Mountains.

I've not spent any time with my new friend except in a professional way. This was a time to find something to talk about, tell stories and ask each other questions. there was plenty.

Arriving at the place by mid afternoon, we were greeted by the seller's son. Nice guy. Glad to show us around until the father could join us. Looked the car over, kicked the tires, shook the spindles, etc.

THE ROAD TEST

Then the main man arrived. A hard charger. When I mentioned that my evaluation of the car wouldn't be comfortable without some roadwork, things got a bit tense. It had been snowing, roads had been salted, a bit of a problem.

It was suggested that we road test the car on his driveway. Hardly the place to see if it wandered. Short, straight, and snow packed. Of course it dead ended on a rural highway. Didn't have much choice. It was decided that I'd drive it first.

Now I haven't driven a Model A in probably at least twenty years, but sliding in behind the wheel, it felt like slipping on an old tennis shoe. Dad got in beside me. The spark, throttle, choke, all fell to hand. Started nicely, I slipped it into reverse and gingerly slipped the clutch on the slippery slope. Turned it toward the driveway and urged it to move along. I was so pleased with my exchange of gears that I wished Bob Pierce had been there to see it. But NO! No!, No!, I was doing all wrong . Faster , faster! Here I was in someone else's car, on a slippery driveway headed for a dead end on a highway. At the end of the drive I was ordered to turn it around and relinquish the wheel. Dad took over and showed me how it was done. He jabbed that thing in first and floored the accelerator and let'er rip. Through the gears he went. Charging toward the end of the driveway, he got to within several car lengths of the street and he stomped the brake pedal. I knew those skinny tires on slippery snow would put us across the road and in the ditch.

The thing ground to a halt. Then, seeing that the roadway was pretty dry, he proceeded to show me what it'd do . Speedometer numbers steadily climbed until he found a turnaround. My turn again. This time at a more moderate pace. Did I mention it was about twenty degrees?

Returning to the garage, then it was time for the potential new owner to take over. I felt bad about letting him have it, I'm sure that if he had even ever driven a Model A, it was probably a lot longer than I had and he'd be in for a real driving lesson.

He took it up the driveway and out onto the road. Upon their return the undercarriage was hosed while they tended to the business of the transfer of ownership. I am pleased that our man had bought the car of his dreams. A rare thing.

THE RETURN

After a brief lunch and a few minutes sightseeing, we were headed home. Charged up, our new roadster owner got behind the wheel of his really modern really nice car. He'd been driving since five o'clock that morning and was ready for more mileage. It was decided that I would take over when we departed the Pa Turnpike at Breezewood. I could take it down the mountain, old familiar territory for me.

THE SKIING LESSON

That's when I slipped behind the wheel. I got a minimal checkout of what does what and we started out . That's also when the snowstorm started. My driving lesson was taking place white knuckled , forty miles per hour, thirty miles per hour, twenty miles per hour. All the way to Winchester. By now it was after midnight. I was dropped off at the Warrenton address and we congratulated each other. New car owner and trip survivors .

EPILOGUE

Two thirty in the morning and glad to be back, off came the coat, hat and shoes, but before I could turn off my phone...it rang.

Why was he calling me? On with the coat, hat and shoes. He was crossways in the driveway, stuck in the snow. Time to push.

Today he relayed that the remainer of his trip had been at thirty miles and hour for an hour and a half.

He's already begun his transformation . Car guy. Next he'll have the '29 as his screen saver.

Congratualtions, man! Old cars are fun!"

Still Sunday. Could not stand it any longer so decided to go visit the Jag in the trailer. I cannot get inside as the doors hit the wheel well. I need Alice to do that. I did open the passenger side window so I could take off the emergency brake. Boy, the mechanic that drove it into the trailer really put it on hard. Took me several tries to get it to click off.

So I was able to release the hood and peek inside. I checked the oil and it was down a quart, and so was the anti-freeze in the radiator. Topped them both off. I was looking around and saw some oil seepage out of a hard oil line that goes from the head to the bottom of the crankcase. It has a couple of banjo fitting. Probably need a couple of gaskets. Will fix that at some point, not a critical issue. Everything else looks fine. It will be fun to clean up the engine bay. It is not all that dirty, but could use some TLC, and I do not mind doing detail work.

On the Avanti in the body shop I got a progress report. They have started the repairs to the fiberglass and the rear tube that supports the rear of the car and the spare tire well. I was going out to see it this week, but Alice reminded me that we are going to Seattle for a week and our flight takes off early Thursday. So it looks like it will be a couple of weeks before I can head out to the shop and take some pics.

I also finished cleaning up the section of the barn that will someday be the Avanti's home. Here are a couple of pics. The first pic is of the entire barn/run-in shed, and the second is the bay where the Avanti will reside. It will be 20 x 24 feet. I talked to my neighbor and he recommended that I skip wood construction and go with a strong concrete pad. He said why not put in a lift at some point as the barn as good height. I will have to take a look at that possibility. It would be nice to have a lift.

post-48480-143138810613_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138810628_thumb.jpg

It is Monday, Jan 23. Got us this morning to a very sick cat. "Lucky" is headed back to the vet again today.

Freezing rain again last night, everything has a good coating. But the plus side it is suppose to be over 50 degrees tomorrow.

And here is Greg's weekend report.

"After the trip on Friday, I feel like I coasted through the weekend. Did get a few things done.

Avanti black: When overhauling the Prestolite distributor, it was always a chore removing the keeper that retains the point cam plate. A barbed washer intended for a one way trip. Like a Chinese finger puzzle, the more you force it off, the tighter it grabs. I've learned the secret. A drill and drill bit is used to kill it. Once drilled through it can be withdrawn. Really makes short work of it.

The rest of the story is that one day while browsing the McMaster Carr catalog, found they supplied them a hundred at a time for about five bucks. I'd ordered some to do the maroon car. Of course I used one of them and misplaced the ninety-nine. Friday's mail brought a hundred more. Saturday I installed the point cam plate , flyweights and springs, everything but the new condenser that I'm lacking.

Avanti maroon: Friday's shipment also brought the ordered fuel gauge sending unit. Today I took a few minutes to remove the back seat and fiberglass panel to expose the tank. Removed the sending unit and installed the new (a SW unit). That's when I noticed a slight difference from the original . The wire connection pushed on a stud, the new one required the wire to have an eyelet for screw attachment.

I've spent my life cussing those who hacked up wiring harnesses , so I'm not going to change the original style of connection. I took the old sender from the other car and removed the brass terminal. What I then did was chuck it in the lathe, turned the base of it down to duplicate the 10-32 screw thread and I was back in business. Hooked everything up and tried the gauge. The needle went back to the tank and a half mark. Obviously it is the gauge that's screwy. I don't mind replacing the sending unit, though. Almost fifty years old and living in a hostile environment.....the old one needs a break.

I've decided to pull the gauge from the black one and use it. Might be able to use the free sender in the black one.

Other than that, we'll see what tomorrow brings."

It is still Monday, cold, rainy and dreary outside. But my friend Wayne (his 64 Corvette is in the same body and paint shop) stopped by and took a couple of pics for me.

So here is the green Avanti. Work is progressing on the body panel repairs. When we get back from Seattle in a week or so I will go down and review the progress of the work and take some more pics.

post-48480-143138812071_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138812118_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138812164_thumb.jpg

It is Tuesday, January 24th. Finally, above freezing this morning. Here is Greg's report from last night.

"We're back in the camera business! They discovered that it's internal calendar needed to be reset. Working now.

Also back in business is the fuel gauge. I cannibalized the gauge from 5054, the black Avanti.

I'd sent the Stoddard oil pressure gauge out for repair and it is on it's way back. I wonder if they service electric fuel gauges like the Avanti gas gauge? I'll give them a call.

Also for your enjoyment, picture of a mouse damaged fuel tank from the black Avanti.

Got in more time on the parts for Andrew's Kinner antique airplane project.

The Matheson engine camshaft still out. I had also made a request for a machining job. Early cars had eccentric bored piston rings. Supposedly it allowed an equal pressure against the cylinder wall throughout it's circumference. Nobody makes or supplies such a thing anymore. I was going to have some machined. Got the quote: almost a thousand dollars. I think I'll resort to Plan B."

post-48480-143138812714_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138812718_thumb.jpg

I received this from David Coco, Trimacar on this forum. Here is what he said about mice sitting on top of the Avanti gas tank. Not a good thing. Of course the car was in storage for twenty or more years so the mice had time to work on it. Here is what David said.

"Mouse urine is extremely acidic, I don’t believe it’s the salt content. I’m not sure I’ve got it quite straight, but it seems that mouse urine is very high in ascorbic acid, which is not only highly acidic, but actually reacts with air forming water molecules (even the dried uring). So, while the acid is working, so is moisture…………..

Any chemists out there are welcome to correct me, but that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it! dc"

Still Tuesday. I got to spend some quality time with the Jaguar XK 120. Used the tractor to pull her back on the trailer so I could get inside without bumping the door against the wheel well. Got in and started her up. Took a couple of tries with the starter and a full choke, but she roared to life. Boy does she sound great. I was tempted to take her out of the trailer, but that will have to wait until I get her registered for the road and the pastures dry up a bit. Here is a pic of the exhaust smoke rising from the car. It was cold, in the 30 degrees.

About noon I got a call from Sterling Hot Rods. They are finished with all the body repairs and need me to come down and agree on the paint color and to discuss the next steps. So off I went.

The car looks great with everything repaired. The next step is sanding of the entire car and then the car will be put in primer. The primer will be a medium gray, which will soften the look of the green metallic paint to the correct shade. She is going to look great. The final primer will be sanded and then the green applied. Chris figured that it would be a couple of weeks before the final paint is done. He said that I was probably looking at a months before I can take it home. I am very happy with the work being done at the shop.

Then I went to the main shop, which is a couple of miles away, and went in to settle up on the account. Tommy the trimmer came over and said that the seat cover kit from Studebaker International had come in, and they had done a preliminary look at the quality and finish. They said that it looked great and of very good finish. Tommy had the seats stripped of the original covers (which I asked him to save for me). He said that all the foam was still good except for the driver's bottom foam, which would be replaced. None of the fiberglass was cracked or broken on the seat backs. Now that was a bit of good news.

Tom, the owner, came over and we discussed refreshing the interior. They said that they would be happy to put in my new carpet, etc. I told him that I wanted to do that work and save some dollars. He then surprised me with his comments.

He said that it did not make sense for them to install the seats only for me to take them out. So he said that I should come to the shop, do my work over three or four days and they would complete the install of the seats. He said that they would sell me the soundproofing and felt at their cost. There would be no charge for using the shop. I thought that this was a great offer and will take them up on it. Really, it is great working with them.

While I was at the body shop I saw Wayne and his 1964 Corvette. Wayne was doing some of the sanding on his car to save a few dollars too. I have included a pic of his car.

Here are the pics that I took today. It was a very good day except for handing over my VISA card.

post-48480-143138812903_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138812917_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138812932_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138812947_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138812991_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138813005_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313881302_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138813035_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313881305_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138813065_thumb.jpg

While I was at the Sterling Hot Rod shop I drove by many other automotive shops and businesses. Seems as if this is a haven for restoration shops. As I drove by Dew Motorcars I was taken by this full sized 20's bronze race car outside. I peeked through the windows and saw many high end Mustangs, BMW M cars, Ferrari's, etc. Next time I will have to drop in.

Here are a few pics of the race car. Thought you all might enjoy it.

post-48480-143138813093_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138813107_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138813121_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138813135_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313881315_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138813164_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138813178_thumb.jpg

The mice making Swiss cheese out of Greg's gas tank has gotten a lot of response. Here is a very interesting one.

"One more story about mouse pee. There was a really nice Beechcraft Musketeer out here. The Musketeer has bonded aluminum wing structure. Mice got into the wing and built a nice little nest. In just one season, the mouse pee had corroded not only the wing skin, but also the bottom spar cap. Non-repairable. Totaled. Ouch.

Bill"

It seems that I like to upset people or do them uncomfortable with their decisions: you have an Avanti with red trim and you will paint it green? It seems to me that the combinaison is not very harmonious...Red trim is asking for a black, silver, white, red or some pastel outside color but a strong green?

At the end, I have to admit that it is your car and, if you like the combo, I have nothing to add!

Roger, The red and green will look good, I promise. The black and green was just too predictable and boring. At least it give folks something to talk about for sure. I am just glad that it going to be a good looking Avanti again. Somewhere down the road it maybe another color. Who knows.

It is Wednesday, January 25th. Lots of farm stuff to do today and then jetting off to Seattle tomorrow for the week. But, here is Greg's report from last night.

"The temperature was moderate enough to get some time on the maroon Avanti this evening. Finished checking the connections on the new fuel sender, and also checked to make sure no mice had taken up residence in this car before I closed the tank compartment and drove home those countless screws.

Seat back and bottom are in, ready for a test drive. That will wait until the mud soaked ground dries out and the road salt has washed away.

Then, back to the Andrew King Kinner Sportster story. More milling machine work. The way I hear it, the airplane had been reconfigured into a crop duster and in doing so, a door had been discarded or covered over. The hardware gone. I'm to duplicate what is left.

Pics included of progress. I'm gaining on it.

post-48480-143138813325_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138813329_thumb.jpg

While I was at the Sterling Hot Rod shop I drove by many other automotive shops and businesses. Seems as if this is a haven for restoration shops. As I drove by Dew Motorcars I was taken by this full sized 20's bronze race car outside. I peeked through the windows and saw many high end Mustangs, BMW M cars, Ferrari's, etc. Next time I will have to drop in.

Here are a few pics of the race car. Thought you all might enjoy it.

Looks like an Alfa Romeo grand Prix car.

Still Wednesday. Just got this from Greg.

"Just for grins, attached photo of the Kinner Sportster when it was new in Yakima, WA in 1934. Sorry about the watermark, I tracked the photo down at a museum out there, and they sent me a good copy, but don't have it at hand right now."

post-48480-143138813772_thumb.jpg

Guest straight shooter
It seems that I like to upset people or do them uncomfortable with their decisions: you have an Avanti with red trim and you will paint it green? It seems to me that the combinaison is not very harmonious...Red trim is asking for a black, silver, white, red or some pastel outside color but a strong green?

At the end, I have to admit that it is your car and, if you like the combo, I have nothing to add!

Sorry but I kind of agree with Roger. :o

But, but, but, my new Jaguar, in its factory colors, is green with red interior. Must be a British thing. Oh well, I hope the Avanti colors will grow on you.

To be honest, the red interior of the Jag combined with that tender green is not bad at all. As I wrote, red with a pastel color can go; your green is strong and dark; these colors are not going well together. However, it's your car; if you like this combo, go ahead!

Another fact the denyers of green and red trim must not forget: your Avanti has probably the door jambs, inside of trunk lid and engine compartment painted green; to change the outside color, you have to let paint those places too and the bill will be totaly different; you may not be willing for that greater expense, unless the ones who don't like red trim with dark green pay the difference!

Edited by Roger Zimmermann
comments added (see edit history)

It is Sunday, January 39th. In Seattle, WA and it is raining cats and dogs. Just have to love Seattle weather.

But Greg has a report. Here it is.

"Not a lot going on. Except the Forgedtrue pistons on the rods for the R-3 engine. I took my time today making sure that the odd number rods have the numbers matching, the oil hole and the pistons facing the right way, I'm using R-2 rods so I also have to make sure the wrist pin pinch bolt is facing the right way. Not a good time for distractions.

Next I have to take my time and make sure the pinch bolts are secured. Repeated whacks with a brass hammer and torquing the nuts with a wrench for each rod, until they are home. And then one more time. Can't be too sure.

My care package containing new piston rings and overhaul gasket set arrived Friday.

The camshaft for the Matheson engine might be done this week. Hope so.

Saturday was pleasant, I took some time to adjust the valves and check compression on Seabiscuit, the maroon Avanti. I also rechecked the ignition timing , it was a little too fast so I retared it a bit and the road test proved the effort worth while. I don't need much of an excuse to drive it."

post-48480-143138817609_thumb.jpg

I asked Greg how he solved the burned coil issue. Here is what he said. Looks like it is solved for now.

"John,

I'm using an over the counter Car Quest coil that their old catalog specified for the Avanti. That and a used original resistor that I know is correct ( the one with the offset mounting lug so that it will tuck inside the stainless shield) and (for now) a single point Prestolite distributor from a Lark or Hawk .

Although I can't seem to get the mid thirty-some degrees of dwell out of the single point, the car seems to be very content with the setup. The distributor is set up with the R2 advance curve. In fact yesterday when entering the highway, I stomped on it for the first time and it really wanted to go. I plan on keeping that impulse in check, with law enforcement and insurance companies just daring me to let Seabiscuit run."

It is Monday, January 30th, PM late east coast time. Greg just sent this report.

"Tonight I torqued and retorqued the black Studebaker's wrist pin lock hardware. Now it looks like I might be getting closer to parts installation.

Before I can, there's more block cleaning to do. Hosed initially with spray carb cleaner, Even though the engine appeared to be reasonably clean inside, I've removed the threaded plugs that close the oil galleries. I've made an extended gun bore brush to loosen any grit that might remain in the oil passages. Looks like swabbing them out might be a good idea and worth the trouble. Photo of the first pass with the brush.

The plater called today with news that the Matheson camshaft will be done soon. Looks like a road trip in my future.

Also, Delta Cam says they are shipping out the Wright and Studebaker cams."

post-48480-143138818493_thumb.jpg

Thank you Greg/John

You have validated my obsession about throughly cleaning out those "Beautifully Clean" engines that have only been standing around for 10 or 20 years. As a sales executive with Penrite Oil I spent half my time telling people, not to even think about that "fill 'er up with gas and give 'er a go" philosophy.. I have even had people tell me that they had pulled out the dip stick in a barn find car only to find engine oil so clean it looked like it must have been new when the car was run into the barn 50 years earlier. Oh yes it probably was, all the rubbish had settled out into the base of the oil pan just waiting for the pump to pick it up and send it all through the engine. And they thought that I was just trying to sell them more oil........

oldcar.

It is Tuesday, January 31st. Just got a note from the body and paint shop. The Avanti is in primer and ready for inspection. We are busy on Friday so it looks like we will head over on Monday.

Here is Greg's report. He certainly had a busy day.

"What day this is?

Day job. I spent this morning working on the Wright's Baby Grand eight. The next operation being the reaming of the holes for the main bearing cap screws and spotfacing for the seating of their heads. That's a time consuming job requiring centering for reaming and then the assembly of a cutting tool in the hole and pulling the cutter upward against the inverted casting.

Just as I got that job done, I got the call from the electroplater saying the Matheson engine cam and parts were ready for pickup. One of the reasons I chose them was that I could hand carrry the parts, my responsibility for transportation instead of trusting irreplaceable components to some shipper.

I took the afternoon off for the road trip in the maroon Avanti. They did a very nice job, masked off where I requested and while I was there I asked about the finish they supplied. The management had taken an interest in this project and some thought went into what process they chose. I was surprised to learn that there are different types of nickel plating. After I had described what I expected and what forces the cam would see, they chose a MIL-SPEC phosphor nickel known for its corrosion and wear resistance.

Upon my return to Warrenton after hacking my way through the DC rush hour traffic, I began the reassembly. The make and break cams had been documented upon disassembly so that they could be returned to their proper places. I hadn't sent their assembly screws, not wanting any issues with screw threads, so I terne coated them to prevent any rusting of unfinished steel. Things went together nicely. Next to resume the ignition expedition.

With a little time left , I got out the Naptha and a brush to do some scrubbing on the R-3 cylinder block. I'll do this a couple times and during the daylight I'll drag out the pressure washer and hose it and myself down.

All in all, another good day."

post-48480-143138819318_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138819571_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138819576_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138819583_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138819588_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138819593_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138819596_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday, February 2nd. A long day, but we made it back to the farm in VA from Seattle. It is good to be home.

Greg had a little report waiting for me. Here it is.

"This might be a rerun.

While looking through some photo discs I found some shots that I can't remember sending out. I do remember taking them, however.

The other day I setup and poured babbitt bearing inserts for the Wright four and eight cylinder projects. The castings are produced in moulds that I made and they've served me well. Lots of little babbitts hopping around over the years.

I did have to stop production long enough to generate a new set of moulds for the reconfigured inserts for the Wright eight engine.

Photos include: --> Preheating moulds to about 350*

--> The resulting pile of inserts."

post-48480-14313882214_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138822144_thumb.jpg

It is Friday, February 3rd. A very nice day her in VA. The pasture has dried out a bit over the last few days, and it is suppose to snow tomorrow. So now was the time to move the Jaguar out of the trailer and into the garage. Success! Now the 1928 Buick is back in the trailer. I will be able to do some work on the Jaguar now that it is in the garage. Here she is in the pasture.

And Wayne wrote me that his 64 Corvette is ready to come home prior to final painting in a few months. Here is what he said.

"Hi All Just wanted to share the latest pics of the Vet after it was cut in yesterday. Next step is home to remove the body and restore the frame and suspension. Body is looking real good, I am like a kid in a candy store"

And here are a couple of pics of the Corvette.

post-48480-1431388228_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138822816_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138822831_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138822847_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138822874_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138822899_thumb.jpg

Roger, Like all of us we seem to start one thing that leads us in a particular direction.

Wayne likes to do body work so he started that first. Then out came the engine and transmission for rebuilds and upgrades. And the interior too. So for Wayne the logical thing to do was to do the body before the frame and suspension. He told me last night that the body will come off and go into his enclosed trailer and then work will begin on the frame. It will be blasted, primed, filled, and painted. Everything else is going to be rebuilt and upgraded.

He plans to do all the wiring in the car and engine bay so it should be almost plug and play. The body will be dropped over the frame with the engine and transmission installed. Then the car will receive it final paint.

Yes, it is a lot of movement back and forth, but in the end it will work out. We all seem to have our own path.

Thank you for the explanation John. I had the luck to have enough space: for my 3 cars the body came off, then I could do frame, suspension and engine. In parallel, I cleaned the underside of the floor and finished the way I wanted. The firewall was painted with the definitive color and then the body came again on the finished frame. Once this step completed, the work on the body began. There is a risk with "my" method: the body shop oversprayed the frame, but it can be cleaned as the frame had a coat of wax.

post-66721-143138823115_thumb.jpg

John, something about your green Avanti and red trim:

Body #393, this car is currently Camelot Grey and listed on the "other colors" page but it didn't leave the factory this way. A new picture of the data tag reveals that this car was born Emerald Green(96) with a solid red interior(19) and a green convertible top(5).

This small text is from a blog Lou is doing for the 1956 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. http://1956eldorado.blogspot.com/ Emerald green is somewhat stronger/darker than the green from the Jag and metallic. You are not alone with green and red!

It is Sunday, February 5th. A cold day, but at least it is not raining or snowing. Neighbors called and they want to see the Jag so I started her up and pulled out of the garage. Boy, does she sound great.

While showing off the engine I noticed some oil seeping from a banjo fitting. This is the oil line that pumps oil into the heads (I think). Here are a couple of pics. It should not be a problem getting a socket on the fitting and giving it a little tug. Then again I am an optimist. The third picture show the fitting.

Heading off to the body and paint shop tomorrow morning. Going to be really neat seeing the Avanti in primer. I was also told that the seats were done so will stop over at the main shop for a picture taking session.

post-48480-143138825669_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138825684_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138825699_thumb.jpg

Guest straight shooter

You might have to end up replacing the washers on both sides of the banjo fitting if tightening it doesn't solve the problem.