Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

Still Tuesday PM. Spent a few hours working on the speedo and chain. Well, it was pretty obvious when I took off the housing and chain; a link had snapped. Why?

I pulled the speedo and checked it against the spare that I had. The one in the car was really hard to turn so I figured the torque to turn it was just too much for the chain. See pic.

I tore into the speedo and found that the gearing was really tight. I carefully applied lube, but it was still hard to turn, and to top it off the little gear pegs that rotate the speedo gear were worn. See pic.

So looked at the spare, lubed it carefully, and it rotated easily. Looks good inside with no gear swelling, etc. So switched the white and black faces, and the special trim piece to fit my wood dash and put it back into the car. Pics of what it looks like inside.

I have a "made up cable" that I bought on Ebay a while back. So attempted to try that, nope too long. See two pics.

So I have to find a chain link. Update! When I bought the chain link last year, the vendor provided me with an envelope with a note that said "here is an extra chain link in case you break one". Thank you Fred. So tomorrow it looks like I can put everything back together.

post-48480-143138537208_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138537224_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313853724_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138537255_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138537268_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138537283_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

Jim Davis also shot a video of the Stoddard Dayton yesterday. And yes, it is a bit awkward trying to get into the car. It is really high off the ground. It does have fenders and a running board in its non-race configuration. Yes, that is Greg and yours truly.

Jim must have had that darn video camera going the entire time. Here is an expanded version of yesterday. Hope that Greg has the time to keep us updated or at least a phone call or two.

And here is some history of the Stoddards and how they came to form the company, and a bit of history about the company and its cars.

http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com/stories3/stoddard_dayton_story.pdf

Oh, and on the 23 speedo. Put in the extra link, greased everything up, and installed it. Worked for about a second. Looks like tomorrow I will take it back out and see what is up. The speedo is really easy to turn so it has to be something with that pesky chain. Have to mow seven acres of pastures so that is taking priority right now. Got to cut down those butter cups, llamas do not like them, just too bitter.

Edited by unimogjohn
added Stoddard history information (see edit history)

It is Friday, May 13th. We got a report from Greg!

"A midday launch yesterday/Wednesday, found us at the Dayton area for the night.

Today a detour was made to the Auburn area to see the Granatelli museum (which wasn't open), and then the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum. That was worth the trip. Amazing collection in the original ACD corporate building.

I even got my picture taken standing by an Auburn cabriolet that we did at White Post (remember Hammond?). It still looks great and I was captured phoning David (aka Trimicar) Coco (you know, the Cord owner who hasn't been to the museum) trying my best to rub it in. I would forward the photo, but this motel computer won't take the floppy discs used in this camera.

John, the rig is working great!

Tomorrow is signing in for the Indianapolis Festival of Automobiles and running the race track, if it doesn't rain as predicted."

That's the latest from Indianapolis.

Jim must have had that darn video camera going the entire time. Here is an expanded version of yesterday. Hope that Greg has the time to keep us updated or at least a phone call or two.

QUOTE]

John, great video and a really nice car. Looks like your friend Greg has just about the best job in the world!

It is Friday, May 12th, PM. Well I got some time to work on the 23 McLaughlin Buick today as it it raining, so no mowing.

The first thing I did was to make a template and cut the rubber mat for the two sides next to the side plates. Came out good. I do have to get some T metal molding to secure everything together. Next year I plan to get some linoleum for the front, and carpet for the rear. Right now, the rubber mat will have to do. Here is a pic of the completed front.

I also worked on the horn. I had the horn wired wrong, no wonder it did not work. I tested it, and it did its thing. I then connected it to the horn button. It worked a couple of times and then quit. I can see the discharge on the amp gauge when I press it, but no toot. At least I know it is wired correctly. I will probably pull the horn and check out its lubrication, etc.

I also received sheet music in the mail today from a friend. It is in great condition. Here is a pic of that.

Suppose to rain for at least the next five days here so will have some time to make little improvements to the 23.

I a

post-48480-143138539047_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138539062_thumb.jpg

It is Saturday, May 14th. Glad that Greg has found the time to send us a report. Here is his Friday PM narrative. Sounds like he is having a great time.

"Got to the speedway first thing this morning, was directed to unload the car under the stadium bleachers with the other race cars.

A beautiful morning and the weather although at times threatened to rain, it held off. Even this evening it is so pleasant outside.

I don't have a count of vintage racers, the Stoddard was second oldest behind Glenn Miller's '08 American Simplex.

An amazing assortment of thoroughbreds . Two '11 Nationals, one of which was the third place winner in the first 500. Mercer, Duesenberg, Millers, Stutzes, all manner of machines up to I guess the seventies. Buck Boudeman's Novi, but the Granatelli history at the track showed that they still own the place. An early Grancor single man car with a flathead Ford in it, and a few other cars from their past, including that dayglo red doorstop Lotus turbine car. I never ever thought I'd get to experience one of them .

Lots of standing around and waiting, but eventually we were cleared to take out assigned spaces on pit row. We watched as some of the marque passenger cars filed past in parade, then the track was cleared for the vintage racers. We (the oldest) were led out onto the track and let go. The Stoddard started well and felt like it wanted to run. We got it up to a speed that indicated that the front wheels need balancing. That was the only speed limit imposed. So after a couple laps loping along close to sixty and plenty of pedal left, I pulled it back into the pit road and parked (unbroken) so that we could sit on the fence and watch the rest of the traffic go by at speed. Those Nationals really can carry the mail.

The racers were separated into several divisions by age, so we got to see the best of the best go by. Screaming, rowdy, raucous high strung machinery. Johinny would have loved to hear the roadster with the DOHC Ford, I delighted in the turbine car that sounded more like a Stanley Steamer. What a history lesson!

Anyway, after the track work, we put the cars into a tent area for weekend display and joined the Glenn Miller's for a great dinner and conversation.

Tomorrow we'll go check on the car and hit the museum.

Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.

GREG.

Wish I could send photos, but not with this guest computer setup."

Just received Greg's report for today/Saturday. Thought I better post it.

"The Stoddard spent the night in the display tent with the other vintage racers. This morning we returned to the speedway to hang out and visit and cruise the museum.

Looked up the other Stoddards in the general display area. One, a nicely kept touring car that had been in the same family since 1916. An Atlas engined 1911 or 12 Savoy type. Visited with the owner and crawled around it. I then noticed the other, one that goes way back in my life. Friend Temple Baldwin began it's restoration in the seventies also, through that car I met him and we've been lifelong friends since. Now in other hands, it still is a handsome five passenger red one.

Back at the tent we learned that a storm cell was heading our way so we opted to pull the car from display. The trailer being stashed across the street from the speedway, with the help of the Millers, Dan drove the Suburban over for us so that we had an excuse to start and drive the Dayton out of the infield (through the tunnel with cutout open, and then a goose of the throttle just for effect) and out into traffic.

While waiting at one traffic light beside a police car, he didn't take me up on my invitation to a high speed chase.

Raining steadily ever since, I think we'll skip tomorrow's show and bug out for Springfield. I'd like to spend some time in the library there and snoop for any more information (pictures) of the '10 fair event.

John Shanahan. I'm really glad you found me . I'd been looking for you around the Knox. I'm sorry I didn't get to spend more time with you. When we got everything lined up for our escape, my attention was diverted to the Stoddard-Dayton startup routine and ignored you.

Glenn, Jeannie, and Dan Miller, we sure enjoyed your company.

Ps. It looks like Barbara got some onboard video with her camera. Jim Davis, you might have to translate it into email for us when we get back. That's the latest I think."

It is Sunday, May 15th. Here is a video of yesterday's Celebration of Automobiles. Did not see Greg's SD.

The Celebration Of Automobiles draws the unique at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - fox59.com

Found more raw footage at

http://www.fox59.com/videobeta/?watchId=94e7a980-e4bc-4765-acad-4513829f61bc

I did some testing of the 23 McLaughlin Buick's horn yesterday. I got my meter out and check for voltage at the various connections. I get about 6.4 volts at the ignition switch were the horn gets its power from. When I press the horn button it drops to about 3 volts. So the horn button is working. I then took a long wire from the positive side of the battery directly to the horn, pressed the horn button and the horn did not work. So it looks like the horn has an issue. Will take some time today to pull it and see what is up.

Still Sunday. Worked on the horn this morning for a couple of hours. Was going to take out the horn and then noticed that one of the terminals on the horn seemed loose. So tighten it up and tried the horn button. She works!

So pulled the combo switch from the dash and wired the horn into the ignition circuit. Done.

Here are a couple of pics of the horn, and a video of it working.

post-48480-143138540331_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138540347_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138540362_thumb.jpg

Still Sunday. Just received an update from Greg. Here it is. The track that Greg is talking about is the one in the postcards with the wrecked Stoddard Dayton. Greg was going to at least get a pic of the car at the track and the corner where the crash occurred.

"We made it in to Springfield. Still raining and raw. Stopped by the fairgrounds. Huge with ornate buildings. Took a look at the track (in the rain) best we could. One mile track, I think. Huge grandstand, wide, clay track.

We just signed in at the Ramada. Haven't seen the latest forecast, but wouldn't be surprised if I opt not to take the car first time out to a mud bath.

Will keep you informed. GREG.

It is Monday, May 16th. Here is a Greg trip report from late Sunday.

"It may have stopped raining on Sprinfield. No, wrong again.

I find that this guest computer has a floppy disc capability. Enclosing some shots from the trip.

1. The Andy Granatelli Hall of Fame Museum . Parking no problem

2. Greg at the ACD Museum talking to David Coco/Trimacar, and our Cord owner. Hammond, recognize the background?

3. Unusual headlamp treatment to do to a Cord.

Now I feel stupid for not having this camera with me at the track event."

=

post-48480-143138541353_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138541357_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138541361_thumb.jpg

Still Monday, but PM, about 7:30. Big thunderstorm coming. I can see it on radar. Just got this note from Greg so I better post it.

"OJT. Learning how to unload, file and email Friday's pics.

The Stoddard in the pits at Indy

Early car lineup. National, Glenn Miller's American Simplex.

More after I relinquish this Ramada guest computer for a while."

post-48480-143138541849_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138541859_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138542378_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138542386_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138542395_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138542403_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn
added more pics (see edit history)

Still Monday, Greg's #17 is going to be on display in Dayton for the next couple of days.

Here is the link including pics. An old 1912 Stoddard-Dayton car is coming home to Dayton.

Date: May 16, 2011 4:06:09 PM EDT

To: paulg@discoveryofflight.org

Subject: An old 1912 Stoddard-Dayton car is coming home to Dayton.

Reply-To: gregg_smith@nps.gov

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here

Quick Links

About Us

1912 Stoddard-Dayton (before and after).

1912 Stoddard-Dayton Racer Returns

to Dayton

6:45 pm Wednesday, May 18, 2011

An old car is coming home.

Greg Cone's 1912 Stoddard-Dayton will return to Dayton May 17-19 on its way from the Indianapolis and Springfield racetracks to his home in Warrenton, Virginia. Greg will exhibit the car at the Engineer's Club before the Wednesday's Aviation Heritage Speaker program at 7 pm.

Cone's restoration of the Stoddard-Dayton project began in Chile,South America, where the remains of the car were found. They were purchased by Cone in 1977. It's a rare original example of the Stoddard Company's Model S, using a 50 horsepower overhead valve engine in a short wheelbase 106" chassis. A racing model, it is designed for removal of the road gear (fenders, lamps, etc), and can reach speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour.

Cone has restored the Stoddard in the markings of racer Larue Vredenburgh, who died in a fatal crash at the Springfield track in a similar model in 1910. The wreck of Vredenburgh's car was returned to the Dayton factory. Cone has determined his model was manufactured in Dayton in August of 1912, making it possible that some of the Vredenburgh car was recycled into his model. Cone has worked on the restoration part-time for over 17 years.

[The Stoddard-Dayton will be on display at Carillon Park on May 19.]

All Aviation Heritage Speaker Series programs are on

Wednesdays, 7:00 p.m. at the Engineers Club,

110 East Monument Avenue, Dayton, Ohio.

These events are FREE and open to the public.

For more information please contact the National Park Service at 937-225-7705 or visit our website at Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service).

Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park

Forward email

This email was sent to paulg@discoveryofflight.org by gregg_smith@nps.gov |

Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribeâ„¢ | Privacy Policy.

Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park | 16 South Willaims | Dayton | OH | 45402

It is Wednesday, May 18th. Quick update. Greg called me late last night. They had arrived in Dayton where they will be for the next couple of days showing off the Stoddard Dayton. He also said that he was able to drive the car on the race track at the Springfield Fairgrounds. So now his dream of getting the car back on the track has been fulfilled. He is a happy man. I could tell it by the "spring" in his voice when he was talking about it. He said that they hoped that they would be back home by late Sunday, but could be a day or so after that.

Still Wednesday. Just in from Greg. Petty neat stuff. The SD looks right at home.

"Views taken at the Springfield Ill fairgrounds track May 17, 2011.

Allowed access late in the day, it still had the horseshoe prints in the clay. We got in maybe eight or ten laps. Got the car to a speed where the turns started to feel a little vague in the loose dirt, but probably nowhere near the speeds they were running in 1910.

Then a couple hurried photos and hurried off the track so they could lock it up. After they gave us the "two minute warning" we drove the car through the fairground complex to take a couple more photos. The gate house had been erected in 1910.

I hope Larue Vredenburgh was watching and approved."

=

post-48480-143138544252_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138544261_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138544274_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138544282_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138544289_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn
added more pics (see edit history)

Ok, here are the words of the song.

"Take me on a Buick Honeymoon" Published 1922. Words by: Ben Black; Music by Art Hickman

Boy and girl

their head's awirl

please let us marry dear, said he

she replied, I'll be your bride if you do this for me

Roadster fine

Sedan fine

I'm wild about that new coupe

no regret, if

you will get a B U I C K

Chorus:

Take me on a Buick honey-moon, dear soon

dear, where we can spoon, dear

Let us roam the plains and lanes together

the motor will not be missing.

Neither will the sweet sweet kissing

Then side by side, on-ward we'll glide

What could be sweeter than to be a Buick bride?

We may have a run-a-bout by June

But it's got to be a Buick Honey Moon, Moon

It is Thursday, May 19th. Just received a letter from the regional AACA Shenandoah chapter that the 1923 McLaughlin Buick receive a First Place award for the 1920-1929 class. She looked great that day!

John, Congratulations, that is well deserved. She's a beauty!

It is Friday, May 20th. Looks like Greg is homeward bound. Here is his report.

"Yesterday was a busy one, but good.

While in Dayton, I spent some time at Carrillon Park, an area dedicated to their local heritage. Great displays of mechanical contributions like typewriters, bicycles, and automotive examples.

Next we found our way to visit Ron Taylor, an old friend who has an incredible collection of Stoddard factory material. I spent time going over some, like many pages of employees documented, which told of their department, employee number and wage rate. (Patternmakers were near the top of the food chain at .35 1/4 cents). Literature that would take years to study.

Deciding it was time to head East, a slight squeak under the hood of the Fesermobile was diagnosed as a dying belt. A garage diagnosed the problem, the idler pulley had gone away. At first told they couldn't get to it, we were then sent to walk the shopping center across the street. Before we could each down a milkshake, we were called to come and get it. Unbelievably good luck.

Last night we pushed on through the pouring rain until we decided to dock in Zanesville, Ohio. Much better this morning, about ready to strike out for more Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, more West Virginia, and down the grade to Virginia.

This trip has been a blast."

It is Saturday, May 21st. Greg just sent me a short video of the Stoddard Dayton running on the Illinois Fairground's race track. It was shot by Paul Martin, Springfield, Il.

Wow! Looks right at home and moving right along. Could have easily been 1912.

It is Sunday, May 22nd. I am inside with hay fever. I do not like this time of year.

But as usual, Greg is back at work. Here is his weekend report.

"OK. Saturday was unloading, wash the dirt off the SD and put it away. Then tear into the neglected Avanti.

I've never ever had the front brakes on one squeal. Jacked it up, pulled the wheels and took a look. Everything looked ok, so I removed the pads, gave them a quick sanding and chamfered the leading edges a little. Then went to the parts store, got some of that disc brake anit'squeal goop and reinstalled everything.

Also, in the hundred miles or so that I've driven the car, the four speed (which I had overhauled) has been getting stickier to shift. While it was in the air, I drained the gear lube to check the quantity and look for grit. Fresh gear oil and a dash STP for luck.

Phantom had sent the new clips for the crash pads, so I took a few minutes more to get them in place.

A quick trip around the block to see if I helped anything. Brakes worked and didn't complain. Shifts ok, but not as easily as it did with the worn out synchros. Guess I'll just have to wear them in.

Barbara has been a good and faithful sidekick, but she needs to realize that there's more to life than old cars. Time now for an evening Tango lesson."

post-48480-143138548959_thumb.jpg

It is Wednesday, May 25th. Here is Greg's report from last night. Me, no car stuff, getting the pool ready for the season. Of course the pump, which is over twenty years old, decided to go south and start smoking. Time for a new one.

"Catching up where I left off. And more.

I've run out of excuses, so the last couple nights I've found some time to devote to all the Avanti vent and door window adjustments. Vent window assy is to go up, make a nice line along the A pillar trim and then get adjusted inward against the rubber over the doorway.

Yeah. Lots o luck! I got it up as far as the factory adjustments will allow and in for a nice line, but so far it is a fair weather car. It looks like I'll have to shim the over the doorway rubber down a bit. Of course it's already screwed and glued in place.

And why did it take two nights to get the vent window assemblies in place? Last night I got to the part where the threads were stripping in the cast frame. Tonight was Heli-coil night to restore the threads.

Now that the vent windows are in place I need to read the service manual description of how to set up the door windows. I think they are supposed to go up and down.

I have yet to get Unimog's Suburban and trailer back to him. Day job has kept me hopping too.

Pics:

1. Drilling and tapping the vent frames for the heli-coil inserts.

2. Some connecting rods that were dropped off by the big brown truck. Time for rebabbitting. I'll hand carry them over to Mitch the Babbitt King. I think Glenn Miller can identify them.

And almost forgot. We downloaded the camera cards from the trip and there is some good video to share. Today I left them with our world famous Paul Glenshaw who is to edit the clips."

post-48480-143138551712_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138551716_thumb.jpg

Still Thursday. Pool is all setup, new pump installed and now filling with water. Water is a coolish 66 degrees. It will take a couple of days to fill the pool with our well water. Can only run it for about twenty minutes at a time, and then let it rest for about three hours. So it takes awhile to fill.

I bought a pocket style HD video camera a few months ago and have really not used it. But I had a request from Dave to do a "walk around" of the 23 McLaughlin Buick. It came out OK, so decided to put it on Youtube. So here it is if you have an interest.

It is Tuesday, May 31st. A hot one yesterday, over 100 degrees. Good thing the pool is filled and ready for the season. It was a nice 78 degrees. But no pool time for Greg. Here is his holiday report. The Avanti is looking really nice.

"The three day holiday went faster than the usual weekend.

I was able to spend more time installing Avanti details. Door panels are fitted, might have to come back off for more window adjustments and hardware, but in the meantime I'll be finding, cleaning, and test fitting things like interior handles, escutcheons, carpeting, sill plates, etc. It never ends. Antenna is now back in place, the inner parking light amber lenses and gaskets are in, etc.

While I still had possession of Unimog's trailer, to give our guys more needed space in the hangar, I took the Stoddard back to Rob's. That was on Saturday. It was such a nice day and while there we had a nice evening drive to nearby Middletown for dinner. It was a parade of a '28 Chrysler roadster and Rob's new '35 Dodge phaeton.

Otherwise we delivered a set of connecting rods to Mitch, some work in the shop, etc. And a nice Memorial Day indoor picnic."

post-48480-143138557777_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138557784_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138557792_thumb.jpg

It is Wednesday, June 1st. Even Greg has a day off. Here is his Avanti "driving" report.

"This evening I ventured out in 'Ol Seabiscuit. Warm and no forecast for rain, I pointed it towards the Blue Ridge to the Shenandoah Valley where it spent it's entire service life (except for the time on this side of the ridge getting a makeover).

Even though it was running well, I stayed off the interstate and took the old roads that it was well familiar with. It certainly wasn't content on that lonely stretch of Rt 17 where the speed limit has been devalued to 45, but it seemed to like the pull up the grade to Ashby Gap on Rt 50. And it cackled down the other side until we crossed the bridge over the Shenandoah River when I gave it back some throttle.

On to Phil Ritter's house, enticed him to go for a ride since it has been a long time since the last one. Three old friends, Phil, Seabiscuit and I. What was missing was long time friend Steve in the driver's seat where he spent so much time. Residing now in California, he'll just have to beat it back here to give it a shakedown.

Some time at Mother's and then the road home.

It is sure a joy to be back in a machine that makes the distance enjoyable, going and coming.

No pictures tonight."

It is Thursday, June 2nd. Cooler today, only going to be 88 or so.

Here is Greg's Avanti report from last night. Included are a couple of pics and one of the 1923 McLaughlin Buick award from the local AACA Winchester show.

"Worked on Avanti doors again. Buffed the handles and got them ready for installation.

The passenger window adjustment is fair, so the handles went on. Driver side adjustment needed tweaking, removed the door panel and turned more screws. I was able to eliminate the daylight at the top of the vent assembly. Snugged the screws, readjusted the rear channel so the glass could be coaxed to go up and down.

Reinstalled the door panel, put the handles on and shut the door. Make that tried to shut the door. The new adjustments are fine for the front of the door, now crowd the rear of the window where it closes against the rubber on the B pillar.

What you gain on the potatoes.... So I decided to shove the door closed and will wait to see if the rubber relaxes or I have to go into it yet another time."

post-48480-143138558925_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138558942_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138558946_thumb.jpg

It is Saturday, June 4th. Greg called yesterday and invited us to head up to Rob's place in MD. Rob was hosting a Orphan Car tour stop. So we hopped into our Avantis to drive on up. Both cars ran great and looked awesome together. And guess what, three other Avantis showed up. Here are some pics of the show.

post-48480-143138560562_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138560579_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138560594_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138560609_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138560624_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138560639_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138560657_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138560672_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138560688_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138560704_thumb.jpg