Preparing for a first tour

sambarn

This September I will be taking my mother and and my Father's 1927 Marmon e-75 to the Marmon Muster and Dayton Concours. If you knew my father, the famous ronbarn, you'd know that it's a shame that I did not learn more by osmosis but, fathers and sons......

Anyway - this will be the first tour oriented event I will be taking part in and I am terrified!! As far as driving the car goes I have been practicing (without my mother in the car!) and feel fairly confident but there is much I need to learn. I am turning to the forum on this Father's Day for help with all the other logistics of touring - what tools do I really need - what things might I want in the trailer - what eventualities need I prepare for, etc..

I am half decent wrench turner and the Marmon club has many great tech. advisors but am a simple neophyte when it comes to what might be needed on tours. Do any of have any suggestions, lists, tips or advice that you would be willing to share - I'm very excited about this and look forward to the event but could sure use the help of those more experienced. Thanks -Sam Barnett

Welcome to the FORUM Sam. I enjoyed talking with you in Birmingham, as well as many years back with Ron and Sally (Dale recovered fine from the fall at the Air Museum).

Normal spare parts, of course, such as points, condenser, rotor, distributor cap, belts, hoses, thermostat, starter, generator, fuel pump, water pump, wheel bearings -- if you have them -- they don't take much space in the trailer.

Maintenance items: your tool box, engine and trans. oil, chassis wheel bearing, and water pump grease, and tape - electric and duct-tape - throw in a coat hanger and wire-cutter just so you won't need them.

Most importantly, drive the car as much as possible before the tour.

Have you trailered much on your own? Load the car so that at least 60% of the weight is forward of the axles - this minimizes sway - read the trailering site in this forum. Cross-tie the tie-downs to prevent side-movement in the event of unexpected incident.

There is so much more to discuss.

My phone number is 504 - 258 - 3909 - call me for any thoughts any time. It was an honor to have worked with your dad.

Hello Sam,

"NOT" to detract from anything anyone has offered so far but you might want to look at: CCCA - General Forum also, look at L-29 Cord Trip From Indiana To CA and contact them. My bet after the distance they traveled would be they have first hand knowledge what to prepare for and advise for you too.

I'm hoping at some point down the road to do a tour with Dad's 1920 Overland Model 4. Just a thought for you, when asked by my piers if I was worried about what could happen driving an old car, my answer was after having this vehicle in the family for almost 42 years: How do you think it went down the road in 1920? Roads were NOT what they are today, people traveled alone, Car Dealerships were no where near as many as they are today (not that Overland Dealership are plentiful today) so what's the problem? Obviously, do some "just in case" protection / backups as others have stated "and" you are not alone on this tour.

Had local short tours/events with this car with Dad so my advise is prepare/stock up a bit and enjoy. Even if you should have an issue someone with you will help and it is not like new cars today that require expensive computer diagnosis or electronic parts to get back on the road. Hope you have a good event.

I carry only the basics in the car on a tour, but the list includes: Flashlight,VOM meter, screw driver, tire iron, jack (& 2 X 6 X 12" board for the jack), end wrenches, adjustable wrench, spark plug socket, spare plugs, disposable overalls, ignition wrenches and file, small piece of sandpaper, wire cutters, pliers, tow strap, rags & hand cleaner.

I am sure I left out of the previous list, but additionally in the trailer I have a small vice & carry a full tool box with complete socket & end wrench sets, floor jack & jack stands, work light, & misc. spare parts like gaskets, pump packing, grease, oil, drain pans, carb cleaner etc.

Hi- see if you can find a copy of the little CCCA pamphlet, "Joy of Touring". Some really good information, to help people get ready for the weeklong "Car-avans" that CCCA plans. I'd scan you a copy, but that might violate copywrite.

Most of all, take precautions and spare parts, but just enjoy driving and don't over-worry about breaking down. It always is a comfort to me to know that there are no old cars on the side of the road with skeletons in them, so, eventually, you get where you are going!

Guest 1926pack

Also bring along at least one can of flat tire inflater. Fills the tire with foam, which can be a bit of a pain to clean out, but its better than getting stuck. Also program your cell phone with friends, mechanics, etc you might need. Knowing their locations is also good because you will know who is closest if you should break down.

But know this, Whatever you prepare for will not happen. Whatever you do not prepare for will. Murphys Law I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">......why not take along a roster of members of any club you belong to? </div></div>

Excellent idea! I had a nearby AACA Region member call me yesterday with a late model car problem. She and her elderly parents were stranded on the highway in my area. Since we communicate frequently, she had my number in her cell. I would have gone to any lengths to get this family home, including giving them a car to use, "Bring it back whenever you need to!"

That's what AACA members do for each other.

Now, because of this post, I'm thinking that maybe I should print out a phone book of my own containing all of my AACA friends from Virginia to California to Florida to New York! There are a bunch of them (I hope. smile.gif ) when I may be in need.

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now, because of this post, I'm thinking that maybe I should print out a phone book of my own containing all of my AACA friends from Virginia to California to Florida to New York! There are a bunch of them (I hope. smile.gif ) when I may be in need. Wayne </div></div>

Count West Virginia in. smile.gif

Sam,

Relax a little bit. You have gotton plenty of pretty good advice from the crowd here and if you follow most of it you will be in pretty good shape. Approach it from the point that if you don't have to do a little light restoration at the side of the road then it wasn't a very successful tour. Just drive the car enough between now and then to get to know it pretty well and you should be in pretty good shape. After all, if you want a completely trouble free tour you could just drive a modern car. That would be boring and would defeat the purpose of the tour.

I myself am going to be going to the Marmon Muster, but unfortunately do not have my car ready to go as it is all in pieces. I have a 1927 E-75 also and am really looking forward to having conversations with other people who have them. I will be looking forward to meeting you there.

David Cargill

Guest boettger

Sam,

As long as you have some of the more common spare parts along (as has already been mentioned) you will be fine, Remember that there will be a bunch of guys on the tour that will start to salivate and breath hard just wanting to help if someone breaks down on a tour. There will be almost too much help if something breaks.

Thank you all -my lists basically doubled in size since this thread began ( how could I have forgotten the manual??) Now I have to find the spare parts and test drive the trailer - hopefully all the advice in the trailering and towing section will help.

David - feel free to hop in the rumble seat or, if I scare my mother enough, in the front for any part of the muster you desire. Thank you again - You have all helped relieve a good bit of worry for me. So - off to Huntsville for more practice and start loading the trailer!! Marty I have you're number with me and I will take you up on the phone call - just let me get my questions ready first.

A lot of good information, but we shouldn't scare this young man. Just do it, you will learn, and the others with old cars will be extremely helpful. Remember, you meet the nicest people when you are broke down with an old car. Years ago I would take my mother on tours with us. She always packed a picnic lunch and when I broke down she got out the picnic and we enjoyed our time on the side of the road.

Driving an old car, breaking down, and having fun is what it is all about. Relax, have fun!!!

Have you driven to Dayton before? What routs are you planning to use? What hotel will you be staying in? Without a trailer, it is a 5 hour drive to Lexington. During the week, driving through Cincinnati between 3:00pm and 6:00pm is not fun, even without a trailer. Your biggest problem in Cincinnati is the drivers all want to get their first.

The last 3 miles in KY is a very steep down hill grade, I would go down in the second from the right lane if you will be taking 75 in Ohio. I will be going to Lexington on the 3rd and returning the 5th.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Green Dragon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Driving an old car, breaking down, and having fun is what it is all about. Relax, have fun!!! </div></div>

Our club calls those roadside seminars. cool.gif

• 2 months later...

Thank You to all who contributed to this thread it has been very helpful - I stand at 17 days and counting til I pull out of the driveway. Tools and parts are stacked by the Garage door and the 40 plus mile up and down the mountain roads test drive complete - I feel like I'm prepared for everything that won't go wrong and at least ready for whatever does. Your input has been fabulous and if anyone is attending The Marmon Muster in Dayton or the Carillon Park Concours D'elegance, look me up.

Sam,

Have a wonderful time, and give Sally a big hug from Dale and me.

Don't overthink everything - just relax and have a good time - your genes will handle 90% of anything that could happen - keep my cell number, and take a BUZZIE ROSTER (Sally has the pocket edition).