GIRLS ON BUICKS

Guest imported_MrEarl

Update to my last post and photo. I couldn't help myself. I ended up wining the bid on Ebay for this photo.

Below is the listings bio of the Hollywood couple, and the back of the photo with further info.

Please allow me a bit of leeway. I know it's more Hollywood photo than it is Buick, but still interesting.

[h=2]1st generation mid 1920s silent film era Studio publicity posed candid photograph of Edmund Lowe and Lilyan Tashman. A married acting couple, both players for Columbia Studios. They pose, caught in the act of a goodbye kiss, in a beautiful image incorporating reflections for the best view. This picture was perhaps released by the studio to combat gossip about the sexuality of the actors, who served as each others beards. Photo taken by Irving Lippman for Columbia Pictures.

Lilyan Tashman was born October 23, 1896 in Brooklyn, New York. She was the tenth and final child born to Maurice and Rose Tashman. In her early teens she worked as a model for both fashion magazines and artists. She first appeared on the vaudeville stage when she was in her late teens and quickly became a very skilled performer. A few years later, she moved on to the Ziegfeld Follies where she remained for about two years. After the Follies, Lilyan joined a David Belasco production where she worked as an understudy to Ina Claire. She even got to go on for her a few times.Lilyan made her film debut in 1921, but still chose to appear in plays as well. When one of the plays she was in closed, she made another film, this time with comedienne Mabel Normand.<UNFORTUNATELY, action="" another="" one="" of="" her="" plays="" closed="" so="" she="" decided="" to="" move="" out="" hollywood="" where="" the="" movie="" making="" was="" really="" starting="" rise.="" at="" first,="" wasn?t="" tied="" any="" studio.="" chose="" free="" lance="" and="" just="" appear="" in="" films="" that="" do.="" eventually="" though,="" did="" sign="" with="" paramount="" studios.="" although="" lilyan="" didn?t="" become="" a="" huge="" star,="" next="" some="" during="" career.="" shared="" screen="" such="" names="" as="" will="" rogers,="" norma="" talmadge,="" joan="" crawford,="" myrna="" loy,="" shearer.="" make="" smooth="" transition="" into="" talkies.="" it="" seemed="" easier="" sometimes="" for="" ?bit?="" players="" because="" they="" weren?t="" larger="" than="" life="" fans="" put="" an="" image="" them.="" were="" be.="" all,="" made="" 28="" talking="" pictures,="" which="" is="" pretty="" good.="" appeared="" was <em="">The Gold Diggers of Broadway(1929), which sadly is a lost film. Her last film appearance was in 1936's Frankie and Johnny. By the time of her last film, her health was already worn. In 1932, she went to the hospital to have her appendix removed, although now there are people who believe it was actually to have surgery as treatment for abdominal cancer. In 1934 her health was getting worse, so she went back into the hospital, but sadly, her cancer had progressed far beyond help.

Lilyan Tashman passed away on March 21, 1934 in New York City. She was only 37 years old. She was buried at Washington Cemetery in Brooklyn.

Lilyan married twice. Her first husband was another actor she met during her vaudeville days named Al Lee. They married in 1914, separated in 1920, and were finally divorced in 1921. Her second, and most notable marriage was to actor Edmund Lowe in 1925. Not only was Lowe a longtime friend of hers, he was also openly gay. They were the new Pickford/Fairbanks couple around Hollywood. They represented the ideal marriage to the public, living in a beautiful mansion called "Loliwe." They held large and lavish parties and even orgies with their movie star friends. The two never had children, but did remain married until her death. Edmund Lowe was gay, but so was Lilyan. Well, she was bisexual. Apparently, she loved grabbing the most beautiful ladies in the room, bring them to the nearest restroom, and have a little tryst! Her most famous lover was none other than Greta Garbo. The two met in 1928 and were involved in a very heated relationship until 1932 when Greta cooled from Lilyan's raging jealous nature. This left Lilyan heartbroken.

During her later career, she was seen as a fashion icon by her fans. They wanted her hairstyle, her dresses, her hats, you name it! During tea time, her household staff were also told to serve her cats as well. She used to paint rooms of her house to compliment her hair, and even painted the whole house red and white on a whim, told her guests to wear red and white, and even brought in red and white toilet paper!

As per usual when it comes to death and wills, there was a bit of a heated debate over what to do with Lilyan's estate. She didn't leave a will, and there was the issue of what to do with her massive collections of jewelry, furs, and cash. The debate was between her husband, Edmund, and her two sisters Jennie and Hattie.

Tall, athletic leading man, the son of a judge. Edmund Lowe was initially slated for the priesthood but switched career paths on several occasions, at one time studying law, then teaching English and elocution. The latter led to his involvement in the acting profession. After briefly appearing in vaudeville, he joined the Oliver Morosco stock company in 1911 and made his Broadway debut six years later in 'The Brat'. Motion pictures soon beckoned, and, with his imposing physique and debonair manner, he quickly rose to becoming a popular matinée idol, the Tuxedo-attired star of such A-grade productions as East of Suez (1925).

In 1926, Lowe was cast, against type, in the role he would be identified with for the remainder of his career: that of the brash and profane Sergeant Harry Quirk in Maxwell Anderson's World War I drama What Price Glory (1926). He also featured in several sequels, invariably co-starring his on-screen adversary Victor McLaglen. After that, Lowe alternated between romantic lead (such as Dinner at Eight (1933)) and tough guy. In the latter category, he gave a strong central performance in the role of Specs Green in Dillinger (1945), one of the slickest productions turned out by little poverty row studio Monogram. The film elicited complaints from a few meekly-inclined civic groups and was even banned in Chicago for two years because of its 'brutal, sensational subject matter'. Irrespectively, it was a winner at the box office.

Edmund Lowe remained much sought-after by producers, having eased effortlessly into supporting roles once his days as a star were over. He worked under contract at 20th Century Fox (1924-27, 1929-32, 1934-35), Paramount (1932-33), MGM (1936) and Universal (1938-39). From the 1940's, he still played leads for smaller studios, free-lanced and later acted in television. Late in his career, he starred in his own half-hour series, "Front Page Detective" (1951), as a sleuthing newspaper columnist. In private life, Lowe had a reputation for impeccable attire and sartorial elegance. Not as well remembered today as he deserves to be, he is nonetheless immortalized with a star on the 'Walk of Fame' on Hollywood Boulevard. </UNFORTUNATELY,>[/h]<CENTER></CENTER><!--END inkFrog SmartCounters-->

post-58764-143139168203_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139168208_thumb.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1959 Buick Electra. The young woman is wearing a real leopard fur bikini, and is sitting on a leopard fur throw. The furs are by Hamilton Tanney on Penn Ave. (Note the signs on the door.) The Buick is by Massey Buick in Dormont. In the background is the Alling & Cory Co., Paper Merchants, which is now a historic landmark in Buffalo, NY---- From the web.

post-58764-143139172046_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139172056_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139172066_thumb.jpg

Here a 1960's postcard from my collection, advertising the Shell Factory in Fort Myers. Fla. Under the sign is a 1964 Buick Wildcat Convertible. The post card claims the sign is 52 feet high. The smaller photo is the best I could do to blow up the "Main Subject". :o:o:o Sorry it didn't come out better. :o:o:o

post-58764-14313918001_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139180014_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is an original photograph that I recently purchased. It's a 1941 Buick with a Lady standing by. I thought it would be a good addition to this thread.

Does anyone know what state the license plate is from?

post-58764-143139190431_thumb.jpg

Guest dcdpgh
What's the man in the hat looking at? ;) (Photo 2) 1959 Buick Electra. The young woman is wearing a real leopard fur bikini, and is sitting on a leopard fur throw. The furs are by Hamilton Tanney on Penn Ave. (Note the signs on the door.) The Buick is by Massey Buick in Dormont. In the background is the Alling & Cory Co., Paper Merchants, which is now a historic landmark in Buffalo, NY---- From the web.

Those photos were taken in Pittsburgh, PA. Massey Buick was a Pittsburgh dealership, and the bridge the parade is crossing is most definately one of three bridges that cross from Ft Duquesne Blvd onto north side (now referred to as North Shore, where PNC Park resides.

Guest dcdpgh

No problem. I just happened upon this thread, and realized when looking at the subject photos that something looked very familair. Took me a few moments to put it all together, and finally realized what I was looking at. Not too often you see your hometown represented.

Edited by dcdpgh
spelling error (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

These are from the web.

1953 Skylark & two 1959 Buick Photos

The photographer is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and is of Russian origin, mostly specializing in retro custom work for editorial clients.

I have been following his work for over ten years. His photography is stunning, provocative, and awesome, all of which "hits" you at the same time.

These three photos are just a sampling of his remarkable work.

Here is his web site on facebook if you care to see more:

http://www.facebook.com/drivebackintime.project

He also has many photos on flicker under the tag of D_m_i_t_r_y's. Here is that link too.

Flickr: D_m_i_t_r_y's Photostream

post-58764-143139223494_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139223496_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139224556_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the last photo was taken in '55. I am always amazed at how many pictures of '54's I've seen with the car painted that 3 tone paint job, which wasn't available from the factory until '55. Click it 3 times for a close up and note the bottom white paint line does not follow into the door frame.

geeeze y'all, look at what I'm talkin about will ya. Cute knee dimples eh?

OK back to the subject

post-31987-143139243235_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139243227_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139243231_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139243233_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Hey Mr. Earl,

When is Terry comming back ??????????????????????

Mike in Colorado

Was wondering when someone would ask.

so here with no further ado, modeling a one off, full length coat created in 1954 and made of Black Swiss Dot Cloth (the same material used on the seats in many 1954 Roadmasters) is Terry and Buttercup, take two

How do ya like these cheek bones Dave?

100_8842.jpg

100_8854.jpg

100_8851.jpg

100_8839.jpg

100_8831.jpg

100_8821.jpg

100_8816.jpg

100_8830.jpg

100_8807.jpg

100_8801.jpg

100_8788.jpg

100_8793.jpg

100_8797.jpg

and the most Beautiful of all

100_8799.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Well Mr. Earl,

Now you've gone and done it !!!

This last session was a real treat........

Now there hundreds of "bachelors (?)" out here trying to decide which picture to use as their "screen saver".

AND hundreds of wives who will nowcheck their hubbies search history............

Way to go champ........

Best regards,

Mike in colorado

Wow, those are some rare photos Dave. I especially like that 53 Wildcat of which the 54 Roadmasters took so many of it's cues from. Dang, didn't even notice, were there girls in those pictures.

Yea Mike, my wife does a little shoulder surfing sometimes too. Me thinks me needs a better camera before the next photo shoot, can't not do little Terry justice...

Here below are a couple of pictures of the classy lady that had the full length coat made back in '54. She loved the black swiss dot material of her car so much she had some ordered and designed and had a coat made out of it. From what I understand from her son, she was quite a gal, and use to run that Century on down the road.

img008.jpg

img005.jpg

Guest marchi1

Doing what Buicks do best

423333_10150610163478809_785555991_n.jpg

My wife and the Wildcat II Concept at the Buick Gallery at the sloan:

61607_457119208808_1880844_n.jpg

Also my friends daughter found mine one while at Back to the Bricks here in Flint:

46019_443704288808_5826003_n.jpg

And my daughter helping me on the suspension of my 00 Regal:

19739_282235168808_1439116_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shadetree77

I was surfing around the forum and I noticed this picture on the right side of the screen within the random pictures that pop up. It's from a member by the name of "wildcat65401". He hasn't logged on since February of 2011. Maybe I should start a new thread entitled "Zombie Girls On Buicks"? Enjoy this scary addition to the thread! :P:D

post-75106-143139275263_thumb.jpg