Unknown "Canadian" Sporty 2-Seater + Dog.

Argyll

Apologies if this has been posted before - it has been posted on a UK web site I'm a member of and I thought it was such a great image that it really needs an identity.

Taken at the "Hollow Tree" in Vancouver, Canada, perhaps c1910 - any ideas guys?

157.jpg

Thanks, Argyll. wink.gif

Is that a Model T Ford engine pan underneath and steering gear case at the top of the steering column? The body looks like a Faultless brand accessory for T's. This could be just about the most accessorized ( if there is such a word) T ever. Frame with front springs would be from something else. Great photo!!!

See...there's always a lesson around every topic. With all these years of old car stuff pouring into my head, I always thought that an exhaust cutout WAS a whistle because it was cut out to incorporate a whistle. What then is an actual exhaust cutout for?

Layden, you have a sharp eye. Is it also possible that the body is an Ames? Keiser, the purpose of a cutout is to reduce any back pressure offered by the muffler. This in order that the engine might breath properly, while offering greater efficiency and power.

regards; jerry janson

Could catch, Layden. I blew up the photo a little. You can see a Model T steering box below the sheering wheel and it looks like the headlight support irons are made from Model T rear fender irons. I love this car...

Frank

Well, whatever it is, the guy must have really enjoyed himself. Hot car, great dog, and lovely companion. I wonder just home many cars he beat with that speedster. I would think it was a custom body. I would love to have that car now.

And yes, I suspect the whistle was used infrequently as, at speed, the exhaust would be blowing right in his face, I think.

John

I just love the picture - everything comes across so "young buck with his fast automobile", to me its the epitomy of a period where adventurous young men got out there and did it.

Mind you, the windshield couldn't have helped much, it must have been good for knocking off at least 10 mph off the top speed!

Argyll. wink.gif

Cantilever rear springs were not all that uncommon in the 20's. In January 1921 the list is Brewster, Buick.Columbia, Comet, Dort, Elgin, Harroun, King, Mitchell, Overland, Seneca, Spencer, and Texan. They would not be first choice for a speedster that was to be driven fast and expected to go where it was directed, because rear stability is not always good. (Double cantilever as used by Alfa G1 and on a larger scale by Roamer was excellent).

I wonder whether the chassis was home-made, because tha way it is box section at the front might even indicate that it was timber covered with sheet metal. It is curious that the wheels on the front are larger than the rears, possibly by several inches. Mountings for the rear springs may not be factory.

Ivan Saxton

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jscheib</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, at speed, he probably did not have the lady and dog, so the windscreen came down, goggles on, and the cap turned around, don't you think?

I just love the dents in the muffler!

John </div></div>

Good point John - the dog would've probably blown off the hood at 60 mph! grin.gif

Argyll.

(No dogs were harmed in the writing of this post)

Good looking dog! Car was obviously built be someone with access to more tools and equipment than most people at the time, but there are more questions than answers. Either the front of the body is channeled over the frame or the chassis is bent in the center. My guess is the chassis is made fron two maybe three different frames. The plate that runs from the front to just under the body must be covering the chassis union.That may be a Model T Ford rear radius rod just under the rear spring. Body looks somewhat like a Speedway, that offset spair tire sure looks odd. Wire wheels aren't a common make.