cranking early cars - broken wrist medical term - ??

trimacar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">recalcitrant</div></div>

I have to admit, I had to look that one up.

re·cal·ci·trant [ri-kal-si-truhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective

1. resisting authority or control; not obedient or compliant; refractory.

2. hard to deal with, manage, or operate.

–noun

3. a recalcitrant person.

[Origin: 1835–45; < L recalcitrant- (s. of recalcitrāns, prp. of recalcitrāre to kick back), equiv. to re- re- + calcitr(āre) to strike with the heels, kick (deriv. of calx heel) + -ant- -ant]

Hey, great, thanks. That's what I was looking for. Now if there was a medical term for being on a gaslight tour, leaving your headlights burning, bracing your left hand on top of the headlight to crank, and getting a reverse E&J branded into your palm, I would be all set. Did it on my 1910 Hupp (the brand, not the fracture). David Coco Winchester Va.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trimacar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if there was a medical term for being on a gaslight tour, leaving your headlights burning, bracing your left hand on top of the headlight to crank, and getting a reverse E&J branded into your palm, I would be all set. Did it on my 1910 Hupp (the brand, not the fracture). David Coco Winchester Va. </div></div>

Here's my submission: Gaslight branding

David

I did something equally dumb (or maybe even more so) just before Hershey. While welding the seams and rivet holes in the pedal car that I modified, I grabbed the car to move it sideways. It still amazes me in how long it took me to realize I had grabbed the area I just finished welding. I think reaching 50 years old affects the brain...

Those fractures were one of the first things my dad told me about Model T's when I was a teenager.

He by the way, was taken at age fifteen to the town's only doctor in Harrisville, W. Va. in a Model T after a friend that was walking behind him slipped while they were hunting and the shotgun went off (before the time that guns were equiped with a "safety"). My father's achilles tendon was severed in the blast (later repaired at the hospital). His friends hauled him out of the woods and flagged down a man driving a Model T to get them to town. I always remember my father's words, "The floorboards were awash with my blood by the time we got there". It was a miracle that he lived and got to keep his foot. The surgeon at the hospital he was later taken to wanted to remove it, but the family doctor would not let them "maim a fifteen year-old boy". My dad was 91 when he passed away this year on March 18th.

I have the key and key tag with his father's name and address on it from a Model T that my grandfather had owned. The tag was provided by the dealership to the purchasers of new cars back then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David

I did something equally dumb (or maybe even more so) just before Hershey. While welding the seams and rivet holes in the pedal car that I modified, I grabbed the car to move it sideways. It still amazes me in how long it took me to realize I had grabbed the area I just finished welding. I think reaching 50 years old affects the brain... </div></div>

I can't tell you how many times I've burned myself on something that I just finished welding, grinding or torching. I don't think I have any fingerprints left!

I recall reading a story in the Model A club magazine when I was a kid, although I can't verify its accuracy. Apparently a fellow was gassing up his Model A when the gas station was robbed. The robber jumped in and demanded that the owner get him out of there. The owner was clever enough to switch off the gas so the car sputtered to a halt not far down the road. The robber got frantic hearing the approaching sirens so the owner told him that it took two people to start the old car and he would have to help crank it. The owner advanced the spark all the way, opened the gas valve again and waited for the engine to kick back. It broke the robber's arm and left him writhing in pain at the side of the road while the police were on their way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David

I did something equally dumb (or maybe even more so) just before Hershey. While welding the seams and rivet holes in the pedal car that I modified, I grabbed the car to move it sideways. It still amazes me in how long it took me to realize I had grabbed the area I just finished welding. I think reaching 50 years old affects the brain... </div></div>

Years ago while pulling out a glowing red hot chisel from a furnace, I laid it down, picked up a hammer and then preceded to pick up the chisel with my left hand for some unknown reason. Now I know how cattle feel when getting branded. Get them doggies rolling rawhide.

Great Grandpa and Dad always cautioned me about wrapping your thumb around a crank. Luckily, I never had to experience that. But what is it with hot things and forgetting its hotter than he-- and ya reach for it anyway. I noticed I have been doing that a lot lately too!!

My doctor once asked me how I got all the burn marks on my arms and hands. After I explained that they were from welding, he asked me I didn’t cover my arms and wear gloves.

He looked at in amazement when I told him that they really don't hurt that much and it comes with the job.

(You non-welders will not get the humor of this.)

Yeah, I used to do a lot of metal fabricating, and when cutting sheet metal with the torch would get little hot balls of metal (in Louisiana we called them "gris-gris's", pronounced gree-grees and usually a reference to VooDoo) between my shoes and socks, which of course burned through to the flesh. So I would have these little burn speckles on my feet. Good memories. dc

Guest Merchant Xpress

One thing I always hated about welding pipelines was the hot slag that popped off and rolled into my ear. I never could get used to the sound of my ear wax sizzling.

HH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What, too shy to wear one of those special very colorful welders caps?</div></div>

Not too shy, just always in too much of a hurry. Besides I kind of like those tiny little bald spots.....Bob

Guest aussie610

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Besides I kind of like those tiny little bald spots.....Bob </div></div>

Just as long as they dont join up laugh.gif