Kick the Dead Dog

TG57Roadmaster

<span style="font-weight: bold">Okay y'all,</span>

34_Lincoln_Rod.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1934-Linc...1QQcmdZViewItem

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here we go again, this time with a '34 Lincoln Victoria</span><span style="font-style: italic">,"...an extremely RARE auto. Only 110 were produced according to the Lincoln club and this is the only one know to exist. This is a 2dr victoria, commonly called a vicky, that sits on a 136" wheel base and weighs in at 5400lbs. This car was originally built in Miami Fl. in 1978 by Ben Diener, a well known builder of fine street rods..."</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kind of the seller to explain the word "vicky" to all the village idiots in the room, eh?

Enjoy,

TG</span>

This is a real shame, another true Classic has been ruined. The Ebay listing says it was built by Ben Deiner, a well known builder of fine street rods, and he is still building them. That is great! I wonder how many other Classic cars he has ruined and continues to ruin? This car has been stripped of its soul. Check out the new improved digital dash instead of the beautiful engine turned one, I am sure it had. The modern steering wheel is not an improvement over the original Banjo wheel. This makes me depressed to see cars like this!

This isn't a dead dog. It's the reanimated corpse of another automotive zombie. sick.gif

Here's a question:

Why would someone spend all the money on this car that they have and still leave those dated, anachronistic, impossible to read 1970s LED instruments? Nobody's going to spend this kind of coin for a car with those things still in it. He!!, their <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">antique!!!!</span></span> smirk.gif

Guest 1956Packard

I'd argue that they now cease to exist. This one was lost in '78.....

I like the sellers response to the 'question'. Yet he keeps perpetuating this kind of stuff......

There is a street rod that was built from a 1934 Chrysler Imperial(airflow) that was one of a very limited number of a particular body style, the rodder know that it was the last example of that body style known to exist, and he gleefully went about his business.

There is no talking logic to this group, the old American individualist creed of "doing what I want with my car" is the standard fall back.

How much did someone spend to convert this Classic into a car?

How much would it cost the new owner to convert it back from a "modernized" car into a Classic Car? Maybe there are some shops out there capable of doing that.

A more accurate way to describe the vehicle might be:

Old car for sale. Used to be a classic ( no longer ), but the ride height, color, interior and entire drivetrain are incorrect. Missing components not included with car ( that Classic Era Lincoln stuff is pretty easy to find on the internet, but you might want to enquire, first ). Someone thought this might be something they could turn into a hot rod ( the 1/4 mile times are _ _seconds at _ _ mph ). Used to have features from the absolute glory days of Lincoln - like the upholstery, instrument panel and V-12 engine ( they're all missing ). Not too expensive, much faster than a Toyota Corolla at the drags, and nicer interior than a Chrysler Cordoba. You could probably drive this car safely at 70 now.....everybody knows that these cars didn't go that fast back then.

The 1934 Lincoln's bodywork seems to be intact, I'll admit, and the color isn't too bad.

Guest Leonard Shepherd

There was a Packard "Street Rod" at Carlisle.

I also hate to see real rare cars made into street rods, but I think that is better than someone hording a rare car in their back yard to "Restore it one day".

post-52673-143137980568_thumb.jpg

post-52673-14313798057_thumb.jpg

This Packard now has a 350 crate Chevy engine with an automatic trans. This is what takes the soul out of a True Classic. It is a shame that there are a lot of guys who think this is a big improvement. You could never change their mind or attitutes, so it is a waste of time to even try.

I recently met a man with a Franklin Olympic sedan similar to the convertible I'm restoring. He made a street rod out of his car, but he was nice enough to save everything he removed. I bought many of the parts, and a friend bought many more. This Franklin was a somewhat rough sedan, and most likely nobody would want to restore it.

Now, let me be clear, I do not like street rods. However, this guy put a car back on the road that nobody else would, and he was smart enough to realize that others could use the parts he was discarding. A Franklin Olympic sedan is a very nice car that was not build in large numbers (about 1,500). I would rather see Fords and Chevys cut up (no offense intended). But, another way to see it is that by this car dying, others will live on. I got a lot of parts that I would probably only get from a parts car.

The other thing that blew me away was that he told me that he recently sold the car for six figures. No Franklin Olympic sedan would ever be worth that kind of money regardless of condition.

I really do wonder what kind of person pays that kind of money for these creations. The rodders always say, "now it goes down the road like a modern car." If I wanted that, I'd drive my <span style="font-weight: bold">modern </span>car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Studemax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, it's not ruined 'til it's crushed. </div></div>

That's like saying you're not dead until you're in the ground. Maybe Norman Bates <span style="font-style: italic">was</span> keeping his mother alive! sick.gifcrazy.gif

"Crushed" is only a matter of definiton and degree. This thing's spirit (if you believe things have spirits) was crushed in 1978.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Studemax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, it's not ruined 'til it's crushed. </div></div>

My son is in the process of restoring a 1957 Cadillac convertible. I stop by his shop frequently to see his progress. This was a low milage unabused rust free car. I look closely at the way parts were designed and put together to make this fine automobile. I couldn't imagine anyone altering this car to hack it up like the one's above.

Guest ChrisSummers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave@Moon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This isn't a dead dog. It's the reanimated corpse of another automotive zombie. sick.gif

</div></div>

Night of the Living Lincolns...debuting this year at Hershey.

No, it's ruined. No one in the near future is going to spend what it will take to make it original again.

I noticed in looking at the ruined Packard above that it has the #1 street rod special, 350 Chebby crate, 700 trans, Ford "9 rear end, and all of the pussy rod stuff--A/c, PS,PB. No more a Packard than a Denali SUV now.

and it's going to get worse from here.

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leonard Shepherd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a Packard "Street Rod" at Carlisle.

I also hate to see real rare cars made into street rods, but I think that is better than someone hording a rare car in their back yard to "Restore it one day". </div></div>

WHAT!!!!????? Torq-thrusts and wide whites on an old Packard!??? My God that is just abominable. Look at it! I mean the idiocy is just gleaming.

I still can't believe that was the last 34 lincoln "vicky coupe". That's amazing. At least for me that puts things in perspective, showing just how rare some of these are yet they still have been rodded. I would figure there are still a lot of these out there goin around all original or restored, looks like at least one model literally is extinct. frown.gif That's really really REALLY sad.

In the words of my generation "Nice goin toolbag".

Guest Hinckley

I write book reviews for Cars & Parts, my blog, and the books section of this forum. I recently wrote a review of "How to Build A Cheap Hot Rod".

In my opinion the section of the book on vehicle acquisition sums up the whole street rod thought process. "Many of these vehicles were subject to some pretty fierce judging, so the bodies have been restored to better than new condition. Now, many of these restorers are getting up there in years and are willing to part with their prized possessions. Letting go of their labor of love might bring a tear to their eye, but if they must sell it, it might as well be to you, right? One word of caution: you might not want to mention that you plan to install a blown big block in it as soon as you chop the top on their 100 point restoration".

I can appreciate the workmanship that goes into taking a gutted hulk, adding parts from several vehicles, and making one good, stylish vehicle. I can not, however, see any merit in taking any original car and transforming into a modern car.

When we get to rare or historic cars I find no excuse for cutting or transforming them. Yes, it is the owners car but there is an obligation to future generations that over rides personal wants.

More often than not I have found a large number of folks who cut original cars have a disdain or total lack of respect for the past.

Topping my list of thoughtless conversions was a complete but rough Hupmobile Skylark transformed inot a Pepto pink, lowered, V8 powered freak that lacks the performance or handling of a modern vehicle or the styling and historic value of an original car.

Guest Skyking

I know alot of people aren't into Nash Metropolitans, but take a look at this abortion. Is it any wonder it didn't sell on Epay?

ugly.jpg

Guest ZondaC12

First of all can you even TURN the thing with the FRONT fender skirts on there? I wasn't they belonged up front too! laugh.gif

That front bodykit is actually screaming "rice" to me. As is the hood scoop. And the WING on the back! A riced Nash Metropolitan. The civics just ain't enough, huh? What a moron.

There is very little about this that has not already been said, but in looking at that Lincoln, I wonder if in 10 -20 years it could be used to rebody a sedan with proper runnign gear or if any of these will be able to be restored? Unfortunately the mechanicals are generally discarded, making restoration a real challenge. Even if you find correct gear, original gone is too bad on a very rare car.

I still say appeal is limited to the current group building them, no nostalgia for those too young to want a street rod, and no "hot rodding" historical value, either. That is pretty much early Ford. So some may be able to be bought and restored later on, time will tell.

Hinkley's book review confirms the theory that owners who care about the future of their cars (most do) should be very selective in who they sell to, especially if it is a rare model.

Sky King, two Mets will go on auction here in CT in June, if interested I will get you the info. Cool little cars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michel88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...You could never change their mind or attitutes, so it is a waste of time to even try. </div></div>

You do see the irony in this statement, don't you? After all, even in this thread we see SOOOO much tolerance and open-mindedness on the part of the "keep it stock" camp.

I do agree with you that it's a waste of time to even try to change the minds of EITHER side.

And we wonder why there's so much fighting going on in the world.

Kick the DEAD DOG????????? What type of an person would do that? Horse or mule FINE, just leave mans best friend out of the butt kicking. Does anyone know for a fact what the Vicky owner started with? Why were the ANTIQUERS walking by it? TOO CHEAP to buy it is my guess, and they aren't going to step up now, their fun is in knocking the guy making a buck on someone elses build. Anyone waiting for Mr. Right to buy their car really doesn't want to sell it. When it is time to sell a vehicle it's a sack of potatoes, whoever gets there first with the money is the new owner. Economics 101 the 2008 version.

Without Hot Rodding there would be no spare parts

It would be cool to see what they started with in '78, if the story is true. One trip to Hershey back then would've snagged all the parts you needed to make the car right, at fairly affordable prices, too.

As for making fun of "builders," I'm <span style="font-style: italic">still</span> looking for the SNOOZE button on that Radio Shack Alarm-Clock dash.

I can't help thinking of the time on a club outing, when seeing my bone-stock '57 Roadmaster, a passerby asked, "Did you <span style="font-style: italic">build</span> it?"

No, the GM assembly plant in Atlanta built it, in October, 1956. I've only maintained and preserved it.

TG

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sky King, two Mets will go on auction here in CT in June, if interested I will get you the info. Cool little cars.

</div></div>

Steve, thanks, but no thanks...even though they're small, 2's enough.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for making fun of "builders," I'm still looking for the SNOOZE button on that Radio Shack Alarm-Clock dash.

</div></div>

Hey, don't make fun of that dash <span style="text-decoration: underline">here</span>. It's the only thing antique on this vehicle! smirk.gifwink.gifsick.gif

Guest ZondaC12

Yeah come on thats classic! Look at the style that just spews from those red digits! Theres NO way the original dash looked anywhere near as nice. It was probably all fancy-schmancy and ornate-looking, ugh. Lame. laugh.gif

Does that guy with the '36 Packard really think he's going to get $90K for it? With a 350 crate motor and those goofy looking wheels? Holy drinking too much Kool-Aid, Batman!

Although the blue velour top insert to match the interior is a nice touch. (Why isn' there a "yuck" smiley?)