Trailer Weight

Dynaflash8

I've got a 24 foot closed Haulmark Trailer. The only weight I can find on it anywhere is the 7000 lb max weight it can haul. What I need to know is how much the thing itself weighs, because I'm trying to scope out a new tow vehicle. The truck can haul about 9000 pounds and 4 of my cars max out at 3700 pounds and one goes 4700 pounds.

So, it begins to get critical to know how much the trailer weighs. Anybody got a ballpark figure like 3500 pounds, 5000 pounds, etc? It's a steel frame trailer with an aluminum box. I had to put in 12 oak 2x6 boards about 15 feet long to raise the cars so I could get out the escape door. I assume they also weigh plenty.

Our Allied Movers charged me $5.00 to weigh my 35 Buick.

Later at a NSRA Show UPS did it for free and gave me front

axle weight and rear axle weight. The $5.00 fee at Allied was worth it all and I may go back for a tounge weight

slip with the trailer loaded to keep it about 10-15%.

More accidents are caused by wrong tounge weight than

overload weight.

Hi, Earl.

I have a 16' Southwestern trailer to haul my Triumph TR-6. Checked the literature I retained and it states GVW of 7,000 lbs. and an Unladen Weight of 2590 lbs. Granted, it is 8' shorter than yours, however, I would venture to say your 24' trailer is in the 3500 lb. unladen range as someone mentioned.

Checked my Pennsylvania Trailer Registration Card and it notes an Unladen Weight of 2590 lbs. May want to check your Florida Registration info to see if it is noted.

Agree with Paul Dobbin that 10-15% is the recommended loaded tongue weight.

Regards,

Peter...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dynaflash8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a 24 foot closed Haulmark Trailer. The only weight I can find on it anywhere is the 7000 lb max weight it can haul. What I need to know is how much the thing itself weighs, because I'm trying to scope out a new tow vehicle. The truck can haul about 9000 pounds and 4 of my cars max out at 3700 pounds and one goes 4700 pounds.</div></div>

I suggest you visit the Haulmark Trailer web site at:

http://www.haulmark.com

Locate your trailer and look at the Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and Trailer weight under "Specifications"

to determine how much weight the trailer can safely tow.

Remember "Gross vehicle weight rating" (GVWR) means the weight specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight

of a single vehicle. (ie trailer and cargo).

FYI, my 8.5' x 20' enclosed trailer has a GVWR of 7,000 lbs.

The trailer itself weighs 3,175 lbs. That means I can tow cargo weighing 3,825 lbs.

My father bought a new Haulmark last year. They have several factories around the country. We special ordered his trailer to fit his car, and yet be small enough to tow behind a Chevy Astro. The Haulmark people are very helpful. Give them a call.